Author Topic: UPDATE #10 Work Dinner- tip caterer or not?  (Read 2432 times)

Syfygeek

UPDATE #10 Work Dinner- tip caterer or not?
« on: February 28, 2013, 11:18:17 AM »
I am having a dinner for 70 ppl. catered next week.  I'm paying for food, servers, set up and clean up, do I tip and how much if I do?

We're invoiced, and the company pays for it, so if I should tip, I need to get cash before hand.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:59:23 AM by Syfygeek »
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: Work Dinner- tip caterer or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 11:20:05 AM »
I am having a dinner for 70 ppl. catered next week.  I'm paying for food, servers, set up and clean up, do I tip and how much if I do?

We're invoiced, and the company pays for it, so if I should tip, I need to get cash before hand.

Thank you!

First, you should find out if the catering company is adding an autograt, or service fee.  If they are, you do not have to tip on top of that. If they aren't, you should tip your standard amount (based on the quality of service, IMO) on the total bill before tax.

Promise

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 11:25:07 AM »
Look at the contract to see if the tip is included. If yes, then you are good to go. If not, you bring it.

Syfygeek

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 11:35:55 AM »
There is a service fee included. But the last time I used this caterer, one of the servers sort of "hung back" as they were packing up like he expected a tip, so I didn't know if I missed something.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »
I usually just ask. I don't feel weird being blunt about it because the person taking the order isn't usually the server anyway, so I don't worry they'll feel the need to be overly tactful about it. I'll ask "How do we tip the server" or "Is a tip included in that" and then they either explain that it is or isn't already included in the price. Sometimes, they can also add it onto your invoice even if it doesn't automatically come that way.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 11:53:24 AM »
The last two catered events, we tipped the servers/clean up crew themselves.  IMO the caterer is being paid by the invoice already and doesn't need a tip.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 12:06:42 PM »
There is a service fee included. But the last time I used this caterer, one of the servers sort of "hung back" as they were packing up like he expected a tip, so I didn't know if I missed something.
Ask the caterer what percentage of the service fee goes to the staff. If all of it and it is in the realm of 18 - 20% then I wouldn't tip extra.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 01:45:39 PM »

Ask them who the "service fee" goes to. Because it often isn't really a tip--it's just some profit thing disguised in language that implies "a tip." When it's truly a tip that goes to the servers, it's usually labeled as such.

I would get the cash for the tip. And the wedding planners I interviewed for a story on this (tipping when you have a caterer) said, "Tip in advance; it's actually more effective in terms of ensuring good service. The vast majority of people will feel grateful and will try to "earn" that money.

Especially since you didn't tip last year, I'd tip at the beginning this year. And hand it directly to the servers if you can. The normal tip percentage (15%) divided among people (though head waiters should get a little more).

MurPl1

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 12:28:43 AM »
In some cases you are correct about the service fee.  But not all.

I charge a service fee for our catering orders.  It goes to my drivers to offset their milage and wear and tear on the car.  Not all customers tip for service, and yet the effort is the same for the driver.  But any tip on top of the delivery fee goes to the driver as well.

Lynda_34

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 02:06:42 PM »
I ran a catering business for over four years.  I paid my staff well and as far as I knew tips were not part of the consideration.

Syfygeek

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 10:58:59 AM »
I received an email from the caterer saying if I wished to tip, I could hand it it the servers directly.  I emailed her back and asked if I could add it to the invoice and she said that would be fine.

So I'll add a tip onto the invoiced amount.
Thank you for your help!

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 07:55:21 AM »
I received an email from the caterer saying if I wished to tip, I could hand it it the servers directly.  I emailed her back and asked if I could add it to the invoice and she said that would be fine.

So I'll add a tip onto the invoiced amount.
Thank you for your help!

I've heard that the servers don't receive their full tips when paid with the invoice.  If you can, I would tip directly.