General Etiquette > Family and Children

Rude to offer child’s appetizer to others?

(1/51) > >>

Christabeldreams:
So, last Saturday  I went out to lunch with some friends, one of whom brought her 12 year old with her (the child was invited too, rather than simply leave her at home alone) It was a separate checks event. We order, child orders an appetizer with her meal, probably because she was hungry, having come from swim practice. The appetizer arrives before our food, and while the girl is in mid bite of a cheese stick, the mother picks up the plate, holds it aloft and says, “Anyone want some of (name)’s cheese sticks?” One person accepted, and I declined, because something about the situation set off my hinky meter, the girl did look surprised and a little hurt. Was it right to go off?

Yvaine:
Yes. You were right. Mom may have been within her legal rights, since she was paying, but she was unkind to her child. It doesn't sound like this was agreed on beforehand or anything, hence the surprised look.

Twik:
Yes, this is very rude, and invasive of a child's basic boundaries. Both the mother, and the person who accepted it, are in the wrong.

Sharnita:
Actually, I thinkit depends on the rules established in that family.  In my family apps would be shared and if we wee allowed to order them it would be with the understanding that others might partake as well.  You thought she seemed surprised but it doesn't seem clear whether thhis is an established practice in their family or not.

Christabeldreams:

--- Quote from: Sharnita on February 21, 2013, 06:56:39 PM ---Actually, I thinkit depends on the rules established in that family.  In my family apps would be shared and if we wee allowed to order them it would be with the understanding that others might partake as well.  You thought she seemed surprised but it doesn't seem clear whether thhis is an established practice in their family or not.

--- End quote ---

That's a very good point, however, I've eaten with this family several times and this is the first time this has happened, if that helps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version