Author Topic: Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe?  (Read 2670 times)

Amara

Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe?
« on: February 22, 2013, 10:11:49 PM »
I am looking for the best chocolate chip cookie recipe ever, and I know at least one of my fellow e-Hellions has it. Care to share?

doodlemor

Re: Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 11:57:42 AM »
This one is very good, and is a bit famous.

http://goodtaste.tv/recipe/neimans-authentic-chocolate-chip-cookie/

This sounds like a fun topic for research!

Amara

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 01:23:24 PM »
Thanks! With the exception of the expresso ingredient that looks good.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 02:56:05 PM »
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/moms-chocolate-chip-cookies/

I'd like to play with different pudding mix flavors, but the original recipe is awesome on its own.

Oh, and I just read a hint for making cookies soft and chewy - add a couple teaspoons of cornstarch to the dough.  I may have to try that, too, because I love my chocolate chip cookies to be soft and chewy.

GinaH

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 03:12:31 PM »
A tip...
If you want your cookies to be thicker and more puffy, use only half the baking soda that the recipe calls for.
Your cookies won't be at all flat! I've only used as much as 1/4 tsp., and it made no difference in the flavor of the cookies.

Another tip, is to keep the dough in the fridge between batches you're putting in the oven. Chill the dough for a couple of hours before you use it, as well. That also helps the cookies to not be flat.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 03:12:46 PM »
I just use the Nestle Tollhouse recipe - but I like to refrigerate the dough (overnight at least).  I think it makes the cookies a bit better. An explanation of why: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/dining/09chip.html?_r=2&scp=1&sq=ruth%20wakefield&st=cse&

Tashigi

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 03:46:59 PM »
Another tip: For a richer flavor, substitute part of the white sugar with brown sugar. It'll also make the cookies chewier.

doodlemor

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 07:34:34 PM »
Thanks! With the exception of the expresso ingredient that looks good.

I never use espresso - a bit of crushed instant works fine.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 07:39:07 PM »

sweetonsno

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 03:44:45 AM »
I also use the Toll House recipe, but I use the miniature chocolate chips, finely chopped pecans (in lieu of the traditional walnuts), and about half a teaspoon of cinnamon.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 04:40:09 AM »
My veeery favourite is an M&M and Peanut jumble. It can be modified to leave out the peanuts, substitute the M&Ms for any other chocolate chip or whatever strikes your fancy.

I make these a couple of times a year. They are YUMMY!

http://52weeks-52recipes.blogspot.dk/2011/09/m-cookies.html

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 10:04:43 PM »
Like this blogger, I've seen this recipe from Anna Olson all over pintrest and other blogs, but I've not made them yet. I've read at least 5 blogs where the person who did try the recipe says they are the best ever.

http://eatcakefordinner.blogspot.com/2012/01/best-ever-chocolate-chip-cookies-as.html

and here is another link that compares Alton Brown's chewy cookie, Cooks Illustrated chewy cookie and an adaption of Anna Olson's cookies.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 06:30:23 PM »
This one is very popular with my nephews' HS basketball teams over the last few years.  The coach is heartbroken that my youngest nephew is graduating and won't be back next year because it means no more cookies - he always made sure to grab 3 or 4 before the boys devoured them.  They've also won first prize at my hometown's Fall Fair.   ;D

I'm pretty sure this came off of a package of Baker's Semi Sweet chocolate chips about 25 years ago.

2/3 cup softened butter
1 cup white sugar
2/3 cup shortening (I have made them with oil as a substitute - just use about a tbsp less than 2/3 cup)
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda (or a little less for fluffier cookies)
1/2 tsp salt
1 350g package of chocolate chips

Beat butter, shortening (or oil), sugars, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy.  Add flour, baking soda and salt; blend well.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Drop from a heaped teaspoon measure onto ungreased baking sheets.  Bake at 375 F for 10 to 12 minutes.  Makes about 5 dozen. 

I use the Pampered Chef small scoop and it makes more like 7-8 dozen with that size.  I like to bake them on Silpats for 10 minutes or on the Pampered Chef bar pan.  If using the stoneware, you need to add a couple of minutes to the bake time.  That way, they are still a bit chewy.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

GirlyGirl

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 10:03:31 PM »
Like this blogger, I've seen this recipe from Anna Olson all over pintrest and other blogs, but I've not made them yet. I've read at least 5 blogs where the person who did try the recipe says they are the best ever.

http://eatcakefordinner.blogspot.com/2012/01/best-ever-chocolate-chip-cookies-as.html

and here is another link that compares Alton Brown's chewy cookie, Cooks Illustrated chewy cookie and an adaption of Anna Olson's cookies.

Did you forget the second link?  I was excited to read the comparison!

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 05:55:52 AM »
The best way to make chocolate chip cookies is to use the Nestlé Tollhouse recipe...and add an extra 1/2 cup of flour. It makes the cookies sooo soft and chewy and they don't get all flat.
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.