News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 31, 2016, 02:59:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Funny things the babysitter says.....  (Read 1490 times)

The703

• Formerly ND Fan
Funny things the babysitter says.....
« on: July 22, 2016, 03:38:25 PM »
I decided to switch things up this summer and not do summer camp for my kids 7 and 8. I thought getting a part time babysitter would work out better this summer. I found some applicants and had the candidates come over and meet me and the kids. We narrowed it down to one and she started in mid June.

Her last day is July 29th and there are still 4 weeks of summer to go after...

I had to let her go. She's in college and studying to be a teacher at this point. So far she's told me the following:

She couldn't entertain my kids 24/7....she's only with them 15.5 hours a week.
She doesn't eat sandwiches so didn't know what kind of cheese my daughter wanted on her sandwich (she had to come ask me though I'm not sure why she didn't just ask my daughter).
She was asking me for suggestions on what to do with them one day. I suggested a scavenger hunt. She thought it was a great idea and then asked me what they should find.

She was supposed to be here today but had a case of food poisoning. She texted me early this morning letting me know she had been up all night sick and wouldn't be able to come today. The bad part was that she called her mom and her mom told her to text me and to go to the doctor. She will be 20 soon.

So, anyone have any funny stories about the things done or said about past babysitters?

mumma to KMC

Re: Funny things the babysitter says.....
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 03:52:05 PM »
I laugh whenever a sitter tells me that my kids were well behaved. Sure they aren't horrible for me, but most days I would not say that they are "well behaved" :)

lilfox

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 05:17:41 PM »
I laugh whenever a sitter tells me that my kids were well behaved. Sure they aren't horrible for me, but most days I would not say that they are "well behaved" :)

That was the first thing that came into my head - babysitters always rave about how well behaved and helpful my kids are.  They are, to the babysitters!   ;D

Honestly one of the things I prize most about camps and daycare is that they come up with way more inventive ways to entertain the children than I ever could.  But!  When I was a babysitter, I can't imagine telling the parents that I couldn't keep their kids busy while I was being paid to do so.  And I would guess that a simple online search would turn up thousands of age appropriate activities, if she were even the slightest bit motivated to look.

Pooky582

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 05:58:47 PM »
I'm a nanny, so I am on the other side of this. I can't think of anything funny I've said, but I can share some perspective from my point of view.  And Pinterest is my best friend! The girls are four, now;  I've been  with them since they were seven months. And I love this age, because we can do so, so much! Whether it's taking them places, or crafts at home, I have lists of ideas. So if any babysitter says they can't come up with something, send them to Pinterest for age appropriate ideas!

And as for the saying the kids were well-behaved, they are probably stretching the truth, at least in my experience! Some days, the kids just aren't good. I took them to the zoo on Wednesday, and they were uncharacteristically awful. When we got home, I told their mom they were good, but the heat must have gotten to them (big fat lie). I eventually caved and told her it was a hard day, but it just feels wrong to complain about someone else's kids. I also think babysitters don't want to complain, because they think it makes themselves look bad if the kids aren't perfect. I still struggle with this, and I've spent 40 hours a week for over four years with them!

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 09:11:57 PM »

That was the first thing that came into my head - babysitters always rave about how well behaved and helpful my kids are.  They are, to the babysitters!   ;D

Honestly one of the things I prize most about camps and daycare is that they come up with way more inventive ways to entertain the children than I ever could.  But!  When I was a babysitter, I can't imagine telling the parents that I couldn't keep their kids busy while I was being paid to do so.  And I would guess that a simple online search would turn up thousands of age appropriate activities, if she were even the slightest bit motivated to look.

Years ago, I sat for some folks for the first time.  When the Mom asked the kids about me the next day, 'We don't like her; she's strict!'  I baby sat those kids for about 10 years!   ;D

One day, they were driving me nuts.  They just would not shut up.  Yammering away about anything and everything.  I just couldn't take it anymore.  So I did a 'Monk's dinner'.  I put a bunch of kitchen utensils in a bag and they had to pick one out by the handle only.  And that's what they had to eat with.  And there was no talking allowed!  I got some peace and quiet.  They talked about that dinner for years!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Maude

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 05:18:35 AM »
 OP, I don't like that girl's chances of getting a teaching degree!
 About 1/3 of teaching is acting,1/3 entertainment, And 1/3 academics.
 ( Not really, but...teachers have to be pretty resourceful. )

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 08:49:44 AM »
I started babysitting for one family when I was 11 or barely 12. It was much too young. They had 4 kids and the very first time I sat, the kids had 3 friends over and the parents didn't warn me.

I hadn't changed a diaper before except on my baby sister, who was very patient. I got the youngest boy's very messy diaper off after much wriggling, and he suddenly made a run for it. It took me probably 30 minutes of chasing this kid around to pin him down long enough to get a diaper on him, largely because every time I made a grab for him, he hit me and squirmed away, and I was really, really not interested in grabbing him tightly enough to get poo on myself. Eventually, I got him sufficiently pinned down when he took a break in the carseat that was sitting in a hallway. Within 2 minutes of finally getting that diaper on, the parents got home.

That, friends, is why I had to apologize to the parents. "I'm really sorry, but there's ... stuff all over the carseat. And the hall floor. And the changing pad. I can clean it up if you give me a minute." I nearly broke down in tears, I was so mortified.

They didn't make me clean it up, but they were the worst payers in the history of babysitting (circa 1997, I got $5 for an evening with 7 kids). I watched their kids for the next several years. My parents made me keep doing it because they were friends with the family, until one day when the eldest son and I were both in high school and he and his friend spent the night practicing their pickup lines on me.

"Eddie is too old for a babysitter," I finally declared. The family disagreed, because Eddie refused to care for his siblings, but they got someone even younger than him to do it from then on.

RainyDays

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 09:00:13 AM »
Snip...

I had to let her go. She's in college and studying to be a teacher at this point.

Please tell me she is planning to teach at the secondary level. I can't imagine what she expects teaching to be like if she's planning to teach elementary school.  :o

mumma to KMC

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 08:07:56 AM »
I started babysitting for one family when I was 11 or barely 12. It was much too young. They had 4 kids and the very first time I sat, the kids had 3 friends over and the parents didn't warn me.

I hadn't changed a diaper before except on my baby sister, who was very patient. I got the youngest boy's very messy diaper off after much wriggling, and he suddenly made a run for it. It took me probably 30 minutes of chasing this kid around to pin him down long enough to get a diaper on him, largely because every time I made a grab for him, he hit me and squirmed away, and I was really, really not interested in grabbing him tightly enough to get poo on myself. Eventually, I got him sufficiently pinned down when he took a break in the carseat that was sitting in a hallway. Within 2 minutes of finally getting that diaper on, the parents got home.

That, friends, is why I had to apologize to the parents. "I'm really sorry, but there's ... stuff all over the carseat. And the hall floor. And the changing pad. I can clean it up if you give me a minute." I nearly broke down in tears, I was so mortified.

They didn't make me clean it up, but they were the worst payers in the history of babysitting (circa 1997, I got $5 for an evening with 7 kids). I watched their kids for the next several years. My parents made me keep doing it because they were friends with the family, until one day when the eldest son and I were both in high school and he and his friend spent the night practicing their pickup lines on me.

"Eddie is too old for a babysitter," I finally declared. The family disagreed, because Eddie refused to care for his siblings, but they got someone even younger than him to do it from then on.

That's horrible! What parent thinks that an 11 year old can handle seven kids??

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 08:19:06 AM »

That's horrible! What parent thinks that an 11 year old can handle seven kids??

One who knows an 11-year-old who doesn't get an allowance will be grateful for even $5?

They had a rotation of teen/preteen babysitters a mile long, because they went out 5-6 nights a week and didn't want to pay much. They just needed someone to fill a spot in the lineup and had heard from my mom that I took a Red Cross babysitting class (big fan of the Baby-Sitters Club books, I was!).

I could tell other stories there, but nothing quite beats the first time! Still fresh in my mind 20 years later.

The703

• Formerly ND Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 08:31:46 AM »
Snip...

I had to let her go. She's in college and studying to be a teacher at this point.

Please tell me she is planning to teach at the secondary level. I can't imagine what she expects teaching to be like if she's planning to teach elementary school.  :o

Elementary school. 2/3 grade. The same grades as my kids come August.

It gets better. I got a VM from her mom on Sunday morning. I guess the babysitter was still sick on Saturday so her mom drive 2.5 hours to get her and take her back to her hometown (while she was still having symptoms of her illness which included vomiting and the other end). The VM the mom left said she had planned to take her to the doctor in hometown today and then she wouldn't be able to to work on Monday or Wednesday. She would have her keep me updated on Friday. I sent the babysitter a message telling her I hope she felt better soon but I would make other arrangements.

I think it's all kind of suspect. I know she had to move this week out of her summer apartment and was planning on moving back to hometown with mom for a couple of weeks until apartment on campus was ready to move in. She had also gotten another job that was supposed to start mid August and she was going to let the other people she worked for no that she wouldn't be able to help them anymore as new job was better. I wonder if they just let her go and this is the whole reason for this charade or maybe she really is sick...who knows but it's the whole mom calling me that gets me.

I have another teenager that babysits a couple of hours a couple of days a week from 4:30-6:30 and lives across the street. The last time she babysat one of my son's friends was over with his little brother. The babysitter fed all 4 kids an entire box of waffles and I think a couple of other things. I later learned that my son's friend and his brother were to full for dinner that night. Their mom wasn't happy. I wasn't either when the kids told me.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 10:56:25 AM »
One of our favorites from when the kids were little.  We came home from an afternoon event to....
Babysitter:We went next door to get ice. Hope that was ok.
Me: You did? How come?
Babysitter: Well, you said it was ok for them to have the canned lemonade and there wasn't any cold.
Me: Was the ice bucket in the freezer empty...(me going to see what's wrong with my ice maker)
Babysitter: You have ice in the freezer?

It seems that if the ice didn't come from the fridge door, it didn't exist. She was 18.