News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 24, 2016, 09:49:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: This business mistake is not funny  (Read 1659 times)

sandisadie

This business mistake is not funny
« on: August 08, 2016, 03:24:48 PM »
Last week Fed Ex delivered a package to my house while I was home, but it was placed in my garage because the overhead door was open.  I was having repair work done and workmen were in the garage.  I discovered it that evening.  The address had my house numbers but was for another street and person in my neighborhood.  I called Fed Ex and reported what had happened and they told me that the driver would be contacted and would return the next day to retrieve the package.  If it had been delivered to my door as it should have been it could have then been delivered correctly

Later on that evening I received a phone call and it was from the person to whom the package was addressed.  She informed me that she had received a package for me that day from Fed Ex.  I found out where her street was and we traded packages.

A week later the Fed Ex driver came to my door to pick up the package and deliver it to it's owner.  What service!

MOM21SON

Re: This business mistake is not funny
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 03:30:51 PM »
Unfortunately sometimes mistakes are made.  I'm glad you got your package.

flyersandunicorns

• Orange Crush
  • Up Above The Ropes
    • Love Moonsaults - Livejournal
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 03:37:18 PM »
FedEx used to love throwing my packages on our back porch. One that was never used at that time. It always took me awhile to figure out that I should have received something and therefore to go peak on that porch.

FedEx drivers own their route so that guy is yours to keep until he leaves. You should keep this in mind and try to request packages not be sent with FedEx when you order things. I'd rather eat glass than deal with FedEx or UPS when something goes wrong.

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 03:38:23 PM »
Last week Fed Ex delivered a package to my house while I was home, but it was placed in my garage because the overhead door was open.  I was having repair work done and workmen were in the garage.  I discovered it that evening.  The address had my house numbers but was for another street and person in my neighborhood.  I called Fed Ex and reported what had happened and they told me that the driver would be contacted and would return the next day to retrieve the package.  If it had been delivered to my door as it should have been it could have then been delivered correctly

Later on that evening I received a phone call and it was from the person to whom the package was addressed.  She informed me that she had received a package for me that day from Fed Ex.  I found out where her street was and we traded packages.

A week later the Fed Ex driver came to my door to pick up the package and deliver it to it's owner.  What service!

Happened to me except with USPS. Delivery of package that was not for me, and when I called USPS they told me that it had been marked as delivered and that once that was so in their system they were no longer responsible for it. Even though I was telling them they had delivered it to the wrong person/address. They were basically like "Hm, not our problem!" They would not come and pick it up. I had to drive across town to the post office and drop it off there. (I might not have bothered honestly but it was clear that it was a package from a pharmacy with some kind of medication inside and I was pretty sure the recipient wanted their medication!)

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 03:38:43 PM »
Unfortunately sometimes mistakes are made.  I'm glad you got your package.

Mistakes, yes - but taking a week to even try to rectify it?

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 09:00:25 PM »
If you paid for shipping, request a refund from the shipper for the shipping charge, and explain the situation to them.  FedEx pays a lot more attention when their big corporate customers complain than when residential customers complain - actually, I'd say it's fair to say they literally don't care at all when residential deliveries make complaints.  I had paid for next-day shipping via FedEx on a package and the package took three days to arrive, and they had the audacity to tell me that next-day delivery wasn't guaranteed on residential deliveries.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 11:41:29 PM »
It was explained a while back why the drivers pull that:

Yeah, FEDEX is kind of screwy with the scheduling.  On paper, you have 45 seconds for a standard delivery to a single family home from the time you stop in front of the home. In reality, you have so many packages a 10 second window is more the norm. You also have drivers that will overload on packages to get the "extra delivery" bonus - if the drivers take out "2nd attempt" packages for delivery they get bonuses for each one delivered.  They also get dinged for any depot returns at the end of the day, no matter the reason, so you get the "enterprising" drivers who will put a package anywhere or punt it over a fence to scan it in as delivered.

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=83832.4620
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 11:45:03 PM by TeamBhakta »

Mayadoz

• Nobody is in charge of my happiness except me.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 06:00:19 AM »
A few years ago, in the UK, we received a surprise crate of wine (12 bottles). We hadn't ordered it and thought it might be a Christmas gift from FIL, who had done this before, but no.

So I called the company and it turned out the true recipients were the people below us in the alphabetical database. (We had ordered from them previously so they had our details.) When they placed an order, the operative had simply clicked on the wrong name or some similar simple error.

We arranged to leave the box round the back of our house so the company's delivery driver could collect it when he was next in the area.

For the next three months, we would bring that box inside every week on the day the refuse collection was due (so that it didn't get picked up with our rubbish my mistake) and then put it outside again. We also called the wine company every week to remind them and they kept saying they would collect it, but they never did.

Eventually, we decided to open the crate and drink the wine (which was very nice and much better than we would usually buy) and deal with any consequences if and when they happened.

Six months later we got a call from the wine company......to ask if we were aware if there was a credit on our account after we'd returned a case of wine ordered in error! It didn't matter how hard we tried to explain what had happened, the operative said the credit was showing on the account and we had to order more wine to clear it!

So in the end we did. I'm sure we committed some gross etiquette error in both drinking the original 'mistake' and then ordering more with the credit we should never have received, but we did make multiple efforts to rectify/explain matters.... To this day, it's the best wrong delivery we've ever received.
Life is short. Buy the shoes. Drink the wine. Order the dessert.

Coralreef

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 09:35:44 AM »
A few years ago, in the UK, we received a surprise crate of wine (12 bottles). We hadn't ordered it and thought it might be a Christmas gift from FIL, who had done this before, but no.

So I called the company and it turned out the true recipients were the people below us in the alphabetical database. (We had ordered from them previously so they had our details.) When they placed an order, the operative had simply clicked on the wrong name or some similar simple error.

We arranged to leave the box round the back of our house so the company's delivery driver could collect it when he was next in the area.

For the next three months, we would bring that box inside every week on the day the refuse collection was due (so that it didn't get picked up with our rubbish my mistake) and then put it outside again. We also called the wine company every week to remind them and they kept saying they would collect it, but they never did.

Eventually, we decided to open the crate and drink the wine (which was very nice and much better than we would usually buy) and deal with any consequences if and when they happened.

Six months later we got a call from the wine company......to ask if we were aware if there was a credit on our account after we'd returned a case of wine ordered in error! It didn't matter how hard we tried to explain what had happened, the operative said the credit was showing on the account and we had to order more wine to clear it!

So in the end we did. I'm sure we committed some gross etiquette error in both drinking the original 'mistake' and then ordering more with the credit we should never have received, but we did make multiple efforts to rectify/explain matters.... To this day, it's the best wrong delivery we've ever received.

You tried pretty much everything to get the case back to the rightfull owner, short of human or animal sacrifice. The wine company was insisting on paying the idiot tax, so don't feel guilty.

[/right

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 09:55:52 AM »
I agree; you were fine.  You spent a considerable amount of your own time trying to rectify their mistake.

Hope you enjoyed the fruits of your labours!  Squished and fermented fruits...
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

lkb

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 10:21:18 AM »
I'm kind of going through the same thing with USPS right now.

I have a email buddy in Canada and she sent me a gift for my birthday. I didn't know about it until she asked me about it a few weeks ago. Fortunately, she had the tracking information. When I called the post office, they were able to use the tracking info to identify the house where it was delivered. (YAY! I didn't know they could do that.) Apparently they delivered it to the house before hours (a quarter mile down the road so we don't really know them.) At last report, the carrier has been trying to contact them, but no one ever answers. Sigh.

flyersandunicorns

• Orange Crush
  • Up Above The Ropes
    • Love Moonsaults - Livejournal
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 10:33:29 AM »
A carrier will regularly only work with the shipper since the shipper is their customer, you as the consignee are nothing to them. It's not just if you're a residential location, believe me, it happens all the time with business packages.

I had accounts with every carrier, small parcel and less than truck load semi trucks. If I wasn't the one who shipped the package, they are like "Well we can't help you." So they aren't playing favorites, I promise that >:(

If the shipper is a business, then they can go to their immediate rep at the company instead of jumping through the phone tree of doom that all those companies have, to get you stuck in a jungle of everyone else. That's the only saving grace, then it boils down to if you have a rep that thinks you're important enough to bother with.