News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 04, 2016, 12:42:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: On the Wait List for a masters program UPDATE #7  (Read 1432 times)

jpcher

On the Wait List for a masters program UPDATE #7
« on: March 02, 2016, 06:12:22 PM »
DD#1 informed me today that she got put on the Wait List for the masters program that she interviewed* for last week. Woo! Hoo! One step closer! ;D

She told me that by being on the WL she might not find out if she's actually accepted until maybe even the day before classes start. Whaaat? Okay, I get it that if someone who was accepted decides at the last minute not to take the course then there's an opening.

How does one prepare for this possibility? I mean should she apply for student loans/grants/scholarships, etc. now, even though she may not get in? (Should she have already done this before the interview?)

She's going to need a car if she gets accepted (it's an hour's commute via car, public transport is too many stops/changes) but otherwise has absolutely no use for a car.

What about her job? "Yo, Boss, I won't be in tomorrow because I just found out that I'm going back to school tomorrow. I don't know what my school schedule will be like so I'll let you know when I'll be available to work." Not cool. Even if she flat-out quits, a one day notice is sooo not cool. Even still, she's hesitant to talk to them now about the possibility because why rock the boat if she doesn't get accepted?

Her and her BFsam were talking about relocating somewhere in the middle of her school and where they live now (close to BFsam's workplace). This isn't such a big deal right now, I mean she can take the long commute for a while before this happens.

Maybe I'm over thinking this, but it seems to me that "Tomorrow, your life style is going to be completely different. Surprise!" is rather scary. How does one prepare for this possibility?

I coached her to do all the info-gathering that she could possibly do so that at the very least she'd have some ducks in a row and all she'd have to do is push the send button. ::)

Any thoughts? Ideas? Are we/is she completely off track? Help?

*Just a side note and an additional question: she thought she bombed the interview process. She had 11 timed one-on-one interviews. Two of which she ran out of time before completing her last answer and one, she said, pretty much gave her an eye-roll at the end of her first question so she got flustered and stumbled over the rest of her answers. Is this type of interview normal? She did not know that the interviews would be timed . . . just curious.

FTR -- there were 170 interviewees. They are accepting only 30, so being on the WL is pretty cool, right? She doesn't know how many or which position she is on the WL. But I'm pretty proud of her.

eta: classes start at the end of May. It's a two year program with no breaks.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 04:48:12 PM by jpcher »

sidi-ji

Re: On the Wait List for a masters program
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 06:55:32 PM »
Congrats to your daughter! 

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 07:03:27 PM »
I think she should ask the school (someone at admissions maybe?) what number on the waitlist she is and when she should expect to hear from them about her enrollment status. I would also ask how many WL students from the previous 2-3 years got in (this changes yearly but it might give a better picture).

For example at my undergraduate people have not gotten in from the WL because they have over-accepted the freshmen class for the past 8 years, but this differs greatly by school and program.

Re: work

She shouldn't say anything about that for the time being.

Re: relocating

Unless they want to relocate somewhere that they would want to live regardless of her enrollment status, I would say she should wait for the time being.

Re: scholarships, as long as the scholarships allow her to apply she absolutely should. Worst case scenario is they say "no", best case scenario is she saves hundreds or thousands of dollars.

Zizi-K

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 07:05:01 PM »
Waitlists aren't usually maintained until the day before classes. Rather, what is normally the case is that the accepted students have by a certain date to accept or reject the offer of admission. Once those come in, they'll start admitting off the waitlist. Your daughter can ask the school their exact procedure, but the scenario you describe, of needing a car and quitting her job very last minute, is incredibly unlikely. Students would presumably be asked to pay some tuition, register for classes, etc well before the first day. Unless someone gets into a major accident, those spots will be locked down well in advance. She should call someone in admissions if she'd like to know their schedule more specifically, its a perfectly reasonable question to ask. She can say, "I'm just trying to organize my summer and fall commitments, so I was wondering if you could give me a sense of approximately when you'd start accepting off the waitlist?

vinyl

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 03:10:21 AM »
I was waitlisted for a Master's degree late last year in a different state, started to think about how I could do everything at the last minute potentially (different country so things like student loans aren't really applicable).
I steeled myself to have to wait from early December to Early March. Fortunately I was offered a space only three days after I was waitlisted so could just plan.
My advice would be not to do things like let her boss know yet, but to plan enough so that if she is offered a place she can start moving immediately.
Plan the paperwork for loans.
Get quotes for moving if moving is necessary, and look at the cost of living in new area.
Prepare scholarship applications and grant applications (I actually wish I'd done that - I didn't really have time to with all of the relocation).
She could also think about what her life will look like if she is offered and does accept it. For example, My course is incredibly intensive in terms of both coursework and placements, so I saved some money between my offer and starting so that i could at least start without having to find a casual job in a new city with my really limited availability.
It might also be worth preparing for possible disappointment if no one withdraws.
Congratulations to your daughter - Master's courses can be notoriously competitive, and getting waitlisted is a fantastic achievement.

cicero

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 11:58:59 AM »
congrats to your daughter! i thinks she should call the school and get more details. i assume that the first week or at least the first few days will be less structured classes which will give her time to quit her job and get a car.
I would look into what loans and grants are available, get the paper work, see what she needs to submit, get all her ducks lined up.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 12:49:03 PM »
I agree with others to try to find out more from the school on the likelyhood of still being accepted and the timeline.

Then get a headstart on preparing paperwork for grants etc. so that it's ready to be submitted the moment she gets accepted.

Also look at boundary conditions and figure out what the latest date is by which she could still make it work. If she hasn't been accepted by that date, treat it as a rejection.

I got admitted into my second choice university for undergrad a week into the semester. By that time I had started at my third choice and stayed there (was for slightly different majors, in the end, I think I ended up in the right field and the right university).

jpcher

On the Wait List for a masters program UPDATE #7
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 04:47:45 PM »
WOO! HOO! She's been accepted! ;D ;D ;D

No, she didn't do anything but the minimum (gather paperwork) because she didn't want to think about it, she said that would just make her more uptight and worried.

So, she's got a month and a half, which should be plenty of time.

BFsam recently got a good deal on a car from his mother so that's one worry out of the way (he'll continue to commute to work.)

I just wanted to let you all know and thanks, again, for your comments.

Thipu1

Re: On the Wait List for a masters program UPDATE #7
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 04:50:57 AM »
What lovely news!  Congrats.