News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 09, 2016, 11:29:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2016 anyone?  (Read 1460 times)

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: NaNoWriMo 2016 anyone?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 08:58:30 PM »
I shouldn't - I finally sold a series and have an already-started book due to my editor in March! - but I've got a choose-your-own-adventure Sherlock fic idea banging around in my head that could be done in 30 "chapters" and I'm really, really tempted ;D It probably won't end up being exactly 50K, but I think I'm going to let myself write one segment per day before I sit down to work on my "real" book. If nothing else, it will help me get my writing stamina back up again - this summer was crazy and I totally fell out of my usual routine  :-\

AngelicGamer

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 09:02:38 PM »
People who are writing a mystery novel - what are you doing for planning? I really want to write a mystery but seem to be bogged down in how to plan it out.

Mopsy428

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 09:43:27 PM »
People who are writing a mystery novel - what are you doing for planning? I really want to write a mystery but seem to be bogged down in how to plan it out.

I had an idea for the background and the characters, but then I figured out a murder (who, what, where, when, why, and how), and then built the layers (clues, alibis, red herrings, etc., etc.) around the murder. It's still a work in progress, as I am unsure if I should start before the detective arrives or after, but I hope to have a rough outline by 10/31.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2016, 12:21:35 AM »

I had an idea for the background and the characters, but then I figured out a murder (who, what, where, when, why, and how), and then built the layers (clues, alibis, red herrings, etc., etc.) around the murder. It's still a work in progress, as I am unsure if I should start before the detective arrives or after, but I hope to have a rough outline by 10/31.

Thanks! I've got a lot of it and mostly hanged up on the where is what I'm realizing. I think it's because all of my major cities default to Chicago and there seems to be a lot of detective novels set there. Or maybe more the ones I read. It's also not my typical genre of fantasy / magic, so that makes it a bit harder too. :)

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2016, 12:32:45 AM »
A pre-NaNo read I'd recommend to absolutely anyone is Blake Snyder's "Save the Cat!" - the book is very good, if technical, but there are also about a million blog posts and writers' guides that will distill it down for you. The essence of it is, any good fiction (screenplay, novel, etc.) should have certain "beats" where various parts of the plot fall. These beats are surprisingly similar across genres and media - here's where the A plot starts, here's where the B plot starts, here's the midpoint high, here's the descent, here's the black moment, etc. If you familiarize yourself with the structure, it really REALLY helps you plot your story and solve pacing issues before they happen. (Spelling and whatnot are easy to change after your book is done, but "the middle was boring" or "this subplot didn't fit" are much more time-consuming to fix!)

If you're not a "plotter" then Save the Cat probably won't help you, but if you're like me and like to have your scenes worked out in advance it's a lifesaver  ;D

Owly

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2016, 08:15:46 AM »
^^Save the Cat was my real intro to story structure. I never really "got" the rising action-falling action graph that you learn in school, but this lays it all out in detail, and makes it easy to understand why that structure exists. (And even if you're not a plotter, a solid grasp of beats and structure can help you revise your story after the initial seat-of-the-pants draft is done.)

Anyway. I'm trying this for the first time this year. I am normally a very heavy outliner, but I am considering starting in November with a new project with no outline (or maybe a very minimal one) just to see how it goes. My main flaw with writing is that I tend to overthink things, and "pantsing it" on a strict deadline seems like a good way to learn how to just get stuff on the page. You can't revise what hasn't been written, right?

Alternately, I might chicken out and just work on the novel that's already completely outlined and ready to go.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2016, 11:28:35 AM »
I might. It might be the first year I skip, as I don't really have any ideas right now.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2016, 10:08:22 PM »
^^Save the Cat was my real intro to story structure. I never really "got" the rising action-falling action graph that you learn in school, but this lays it all out in detail, and makes it easy to understand why that structure exists. (And even if you're not a plotter, a solid grasp of beats and structure can help you revise your story after the initial seat-of-the-pants draft is done.)

Anyway. I'm trying this for the first time this year. I am normally a very heavy outliner, but I am considering starting in November with a new project with no outline (or maybe a very minimal one) just to see how it goes. My main flaw with writing is that I tend to overthink things, and "pantsing it" on a strict deadline seems like a good way to learn how to just get stuff on the page. You can't revise what hasn't been written, right?

Alternately, I might chicken out and just work on the novel that's already completely outlined and ready to go.

There is also a mashup Save the Cat and Story Engineering which I like to use.  This webpage is a great resource for planners. 

http://jamigold.com/for-writers/worksheets-for-writers/
Maryland

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2016, 03:19:45 AM »
Forget NaNoWriMo, I think I've started NaNoEdMo a month early. 56,000 words to edit format and collate...

DanaJ

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2016, 02:16:41 PM »
Sort of NaNoWriMo a friend of mine and I are writing theses. So we're competing to see who writes more this month.  :)