News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 27, 2016, 09:27:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sun Protection  (Read 1699 times)

GreenHall

Re: Sun Protection
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2016, 01:34:58 PM »
I'm sure it's correlation, not causation, but I bought a sun hat, and the first day I would be wearing it for a walk, we have a Tropical Storm. 
...I think I'll wait a while for a shirt :)

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2016, 02:02:27 PM »
Another vote for Neutrogena Helioplex here.  I don't find it too greasy and with my oily skin, I only have to re-apply it once a day, if I'm out in the sun all day.  Most people should reapply it every couple of hours, though.  It doesn't seem to make me break out at all.

Something I found interesting...  I have some friends who live in California.  I ran out of sunscreen when I was down there one November and went to buy some more.  It was somewhat difficult to find.  Apparently, sun screen is a seasonal item.  In California.  What?!?!?

I can't wear a hat, for the most part.  Either it doesn't fit or stay on my somewhat weirdly shaped head or it holds in so much heat that I feel like the top of my head is about to pop off.  So I wear a visor when I'm outside in the summer.  Which has the added feature of fitting under my hair and keeping it off the back of my neck.  But it means that it is very, very important to remember to put sunscreen on my ears!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

lilfox

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2016, 04:01:47 PM »
I've burnt the top of my head through hair but I'm fair haired, skin was peeling off like very bad dandruff. My dad attacked it with a toothpick and comb.

Worst place I've burnt would be a tie between the tops of my feet or the inside of my ears.

Along with ears, make sure to apply sunscreen to your hair part.  It's narrow, but it'll still burn.

I'm adjusting to my new sun hat (from Eddie Bauer) this summer, mostly to set an example for my kids.  They will grow up used to wearing full coverage swim clothes if I have anything to say about it!  Fortunately there's a pretty good selection out there and more styles and coverage options coming out all the time.  Skin cancer runs in my family and since I was not vigilant til the last few years, I have become extra careful.

You can find a wider range of drug store moisturizers and other facial creams now that are SPF 15 and 30, which is great.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2016, 08:22:12 PM »
I drown myself in sunscreen- Neutrogena Dry Touch 100SPF because I crisp like mad. I also wear a big sunhat. My current one is Scala's Big Brim Hat from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Scala-Womens-Cotton-Natural-Size/dp/B0029F26BK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

It's cheap, it's cotton and you can pack it easily. If it gets wet you can perk it up with spray starch. Mine is over a year old and going strong.

Well, it comes in purple so that's going in the pro column :)  Not too expensive :)  I like packable/reshapeable idea too. And someone on the internet took the time to recommend it.  So it's better than randomly sorting through all of amazon :)

You are the third person this week I've recommended the hats to! I should be getting royalties. :)
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2016, 09:14:09 AM »
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 09:17:25 AM by Morticia »
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

carol1412

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2016, 01:29:06 PM »
I drown myself in sunscreen- Neutrogena Dry Touch 100SPF because I crisp like mad. I also wear a big sunhat. My current one is Scala's Big Brim Hat from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Scala-Womens-Cotton-Natural-Size/dp/B0029F26BK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

It's cheap, it's cotton and you can pack it easily. If it gets wet you can perk it up with spray starch. Mine is over a year old and going strong.

Well, it comes in purple so that's going in the pro column :)  Not too expensive :)  I like packable/reshapeable idea too. And someone on the internet took the time to recommend it.  So it's better than randomly sorting through all of amazon :)

You are the third person this week I've recommended the hats to! I should be getting royalties. :)

You should. I bought one in Linen and it was delivered yesterday. My husband loves it on me and it's just in time for our hiking trip out West! Thanks for letting us all know about it.

GreenHall

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2016, 03:56:12 PM »

You should. I bought one in Linen and it was delivered yesterday. My husband loves it on me and it's just in time for our hiking trip out West! Thanks for letting us all know about it.
While I don't have room to spare for my bun in the hat, it is fairly comfortable and fits well with just my hair braided.  Took a bit to get the brim to a point where it wasn't creating view issues (it would help if didn't look down so much while walking, but eww eye contact with people).  Now if it just weren't so miserably hot and humid in North Florida....

Mustard

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2016, 04:29:27 PM »
My Tilley hat has been with me for several years, admittedly mostly in Northern Europe, but it's quite scary to see what the sun has done to it; without it, I would have had all that sun damage to the top of my had...