News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 29, 2016, 05:29:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O PD Student Darwinism  (Read 533723 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: S/O PD Student Darwinism
« Reply #2280 on: July 15, 2016, 01:30:13 PM »
Reminds me of a story I heard from a family I know.

"Uncle Joe" went to a large, prestigious university in the 1960s. I don't know the exact date, so I'll say he graduated in 1968. Joe was proud of his association with the university and was always an enthusiastic and supportive alumnus.

When the family went through his papers after he died, they found a diploma dated 15 years after his graduation date. They surmised he must have lost the original & gotten a duplicate. Then they discovered that he had not graduated in 1968 after all, and had been misrepresenting his graduation to family, friends & employers for over 40 years.

Joe had enrolled in Underwater Basketweaving 101. Halfway through the course, he decided he hated it and simply stopped attending classes. Naturally, he failed. It wasn't until his last semester, when he was preparing to graduate, that he discovered it was a required course. He signed up to take it in summer school, and was allowed to participate in commencement exercises, even though he wouldn't officially graduate for several months. The university was so large that there was no individual recognition of graduates and diplomas were mailed out later, so the family who attended never knew Joe wasn't getting one.

Joe stayed in the college town for several years after "graduation," so was able to hide from his family his need to take another course. He dropped out of the summer school class because he still hated UB 101, but finally got around to completing the course the following year. However, he never bothered to apply to graduate.

Much later, Joe finally decided that he needed to actually have that college degree (the family guessed it was because he was looking for work at the time and employers were asking for proof of education, something he'd never needed before). The family found extensive correspondence between Joe & the university that Joe had saved, which even included notes about the UB class failures. It took a bit of doing, but Joe finally graduated, fifteen years after he took his last college class. 

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2281 on: July 17, 2016, 07:26:45 AM »
I kept meeting with my advisor each year, as recommended, and had my advisor keep telling me that I was on track, no problems.

The same happened to my sister, so I guess that should've been professional Darwinism, not student.  In her third year of university, she met with an advisor to ensure she had the classes required to graduate with a double major.  As a third year student, she wanted to take a fourth year course.  The advisor told her she couldn't as it was reserved for 4th year students.  She could take the class next year.  So my sister waits. 

The next year, as a 4th year student, my sister sees the advisor to check about the class and the advisor tells her it's only offered every other year.   >:(  She would either have to graduate without her second major on the degree (as that class was a requirement), or wait another year to graduate so she could take the class.

Ugh... how people can be so flippant when it's someone else's time, life, and money at stake is beyond me.
My uni had courses every other year, but you could take them at second and third year level depending on where you were in your degree. So if you were a second year you take Underwater Basket Weaving 201, if third year you'd take 301 but it could the same class. I had to take a 200 level course in my third year (and a 100 level as I failed stuff in first year) as one of the units I did was only at 300 level and I needed to make sure I had the right number of 100, 200 and 300 units.

ddawn23

« Reply #2282 on: July 18, 2016, 04:01:10 AM »
My school's policy was to prioritize upperclassmen in class selection, which made picking classes first and second year somewhat analogous to being the last to go through the line at a company potluck.  Then going into my third year they flipped the policy and gave underclassmen first pick.  Aside from the frustration of never getting to take my first choice classes, it also made completing my degree very difficult because several of the required courses in my major were also extremely popular electives.  Grrr.

EveLGenius

« Reply #2283 on: August 01, 2016, 09:53:39 PM »
A very long and complex story.

Student was defending his thesis.  Fortunately for him, almost nobody came to hear his defense.  This was fortunate because one person who was there described it as the worst defense he'd ever seen- bad slides, poor presentation, and complete inability of the student to answer simple questions about his work.  Questions like, "What was the difference between Treatment A and Treatment B?"

Student's advisor complains to others about the student's work quality, inability to follow instructions.  Complaints reach the ears of the Safety Department, because apparently the student has, not only without permission but also without advisor's knowledge at all, experimented on his fellow students.  Large investigation follows.  Nothing can be proved one way or the other, because student's lab notebook contains less than 10 pages of data.

During the investigation, Student has been doing anything he can think of to get someone, anyone, to sign off on his thesis.  No matter what he is told, he will go to another person and say, "Professor A says that if you'll sign this, I can graduate."  Signatures are refused, and forms finally go through denying graduation.

It is currently unknown whether Student will be allowed to re-do work for a year, or not.  I confess to some sympathy for Student, because his advisor obviously was not mentoring him.  But inadequate mentoring is not an excuse for going completely off the rails.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2284 on: August 01, 2016, 10:04:24 PM »
If student were experimenting on fellow students, wouldn't there then be some witness testimony available, perhaps from the subjects themselves?

Unauthorized experiments are generally a REALLY big no-no, and AFAIK, grounds for a quick, decisive expulsion.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

EveLGenius

« Reply #2285 on: August 02, 2016, 05:34:34 PM »
I frankly thought Student would be out on his ear within a day of hearing that, but Upper Management won't have it.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2286 on: August 02, 2016, 07:29:38 PM »
Does student have some serious dirt on someone? I can't imagine why they would want to keep Student around - even if their experiments were totally benign, failure to come down hard on any unauthorized experiments could bite them very hard in a tender spot later on.

Heck, when my friend was working on her PhD, I couldn't even help her transcribe her interviews without doing some mandatory training on experiments and ethics.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #2287 on: August 09, 2016, 10:29:04 AM »
When you have been caught using your cell phone to cheat on an exam, to help other students cheat on an exam, and then admitted that you cheated, you probably should not sue the university for upholding their cheating policy and suspending you from classes.

http://knightnews.com/2016/08/ucf-student-sues-university-after-being-accused-of-cheating/
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

PlainJane

« Reply #2288 on: August 09, 2016, 10:36:29 AM »
You should also probably take your punishment quietly rather than have your story much more accessible to potential employers when they google your name.

blueyzca01

« Reply #2289 on: August 09, 2016, 03:21:41 PM »
When you have been caught using your cell phone to cheat on an exam, to help other students cheat on an exam, and then admitted that you cheated, you probably should not sue the university for upholding their cheating policy and suspending you from classes.

http://knightnews.com/2016/08/ucf-student-sues-university-after-being-accused-of-cheating/

But she can't graduate as soon as she wants, which in turn will prevent her from finishing grad school on time and she won't have the life she wants and it's NOT FAIR!  How dare the school delay her dreams?!
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2290 on: August 09, 2016, 05:24:04 PM »
She says she didn't use it. She attempted to cheat, why should we believe her?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2291 on: August 09, 2016, 05:51:04 PM »
She says she didn't use it. She attempted to cheat, why should we believe her?

Not only that, but two different people said that she did cheat and helped them with the test questions as well. 
Maryland

gmatoy

« Reply #2292 on: August 10, 2016, 02:29:06 AM »
So the stories about when you get to choose classes made me remember this: I was a student with "handicap" status. This enabled me to get special chairs and a locker and some other benefits. One of which was signing up for classes before everyone else.

So I signed up as a Junior for a "mandatory for graduation" class. The instructor said something about me being a Junior in a class full of Seniors and how did I get in?? I told him I would explain after class. After the class ended, I explained it to him. He thanked me and told me that he realized that he shouldn't have said anything and that he appreciated my tact. 

And I really enjoyed that class, because everyone was so close to being done and they were so happy! So I did miss that experience as a graduating senior, but it was worth it.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #2293 on: August 10, 2016, 08:34:28 AM »
In the bar exam, with over 1,000 people in a big room to take the same test, they announce at the beginning that if you've brought in your cellphone (or other electronic device, or watch of ANY kind -- as mentioned in all pre-test materials) to raise your hand and it'll be confiscated, and you'll have to defend yourself to the bar board after the exam. I get the impression that they'd be somewhat understanding of a careless error. Well, I didn't see anyone raise their hand.

Then, one guy's phone rang, about 1.5 hours into the morning session. Apparently he was permitted to complete the exam, but who knows if he'll be allowed to pass?

I'm almost certain he forgot he had it, because who would bring in their phone AND forget to turn off the ringer, if they were inclined to cheat?

AccountingIsFun

« Reply #2294 on: August 11, 2016, 01:17:31 PM »

I'm almost certain he forgot he had it, because who would bring in their phone AND forget to turn off the ringer, if they were inclined to cheat?

You would be surprised. I had a student last year who asked his phone a question and then forgot that it was on speech mode so the whole class heard his phone say "Accounts receivable is..." Then he was shocked that he earned an automatic F on the exam and was summarily kicked out of the classroom for the balance of the exam. He attempted to JADE his way out but failed. Half of the class broke out in laughter at this incident. We allowed the student to remain in the class, but he had to accept an F on that exam.