News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 24, 2016, 10:59:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Long Beach, CA?  (Read 498 times)

Please pass the Calgon

Long Beach, CA?
« on: June 11, 2016, 12:58:10 PM »
DH, the kids (17, 14 & 12) & I will have a few days in Long Beach, CA in mid-July. We're already planning to visit The Aquarium of the Pacific" and have some beach time, are there any other "can't miss" things in the area? I'd be happy to hear restaurant recommendations too.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: Long Beach, CA?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 01:30:29 PM »
The aquarium is an excellent idea. You may also want to visit the Queen Mary. What kind of transportation will you have available? If you have a car, then there's lots of stuff in the general area. Have you checked out Trip Advisor? Their list of things to do near Long Beach looks interesting.

I wish that I had restaurant recommendations but we don't get into Long Beach much.  Downtown Disney isn't that far (about a 40 minute drive) and I can recommend lots of places there. Even if you don't go into the parks there is lots of shopping there as well.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 02:13:29 PM »
Are your kids Harry Potter fans? The new Harry Potter world opened within not too far away, and I have heard great things about it. I am gonna have to drive down from Northern Calif to take my teens there.
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 03:39:01 PM »
Are your kids Harry Potter fans? The new Harry Potter world opened within not too far away, and I have heard great things about it. I am gonna have to drive down from Northern Calif to take my teens there.

Long Beach is the first 3 days of our trip, from there we head to LA for Universal Studios (mostly because of the new HP World) and the LA Zoo. We've been to that area before, Long Beach is more of a mystery.

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 03:44:06 PM »
The aquarium is an excellent idea. You may also want to visit the Queen Mary. What kind of transportation will you have available? If you have a car, then there's lots of stuff in the general area. Have you checked out Trip Advisor? Their list of things to do near Long Beach looks interesting.

I wish that I had restaurant recommendations but we don't get into Long Beach much.  Downtown Disney isn't that far (about a 40 minute drive) and I can recommend lots of places there. Even if you don't go into the parks there is lots of shopping there as well.

We'll have our own vehicle, we're driving down from the Fresno, CA area. The Queen Mary sounds great, I'll definitely check into it. The kids chose Universal Studios & the LA Zoo over Disneyland this trip. One full day of adventure park crazy is about all any of us can handle. I'm hoping to get an hour or two inside an IKEA while we're there.

furrcats

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 04:48:35 PM »
The queen Mary is there

barkingmad

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 07:46:09 PM »
Ikea is nearby in Carson.

sammycat

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 08:10:02 PM »
We spent 2 nights in LB aboard the Queen Mary about 18 months ago. It was lots of fun to explore the ship. Right next to the ship is a genuine Russian submarine that visitors can get right into the bowels of.  My boys were 13 and 17 at the time and visiting/exploring this was one of the main things they really enjoyed during our 6 week stay in the US.

We caught a (free?) bus into downtown (I think) LB and just spent a few hours exploring LB in general, wandering around wherever the streets took us. This was midweek in October, so it was very quiet and relaxing.  We even ended up buying DS' suit for his school formal that took place a few weeks after we arrived home.

As for restaurants, we had the most hilarious moment of our entire trip in this area, possibly due to the waiter not understanding our accent.  Being Australians, we thought it'd be interesting to dine at the Outback Steakhouse. The food was delicious, but as a PSA, I'm here to say that this is not a representation of Australian dining in the slightest.  There are also a few nice places to eat aboard the Queen Mary. We enjoyed afternoon tea onboard overlooking the front of the ship with views of LB in the distance.

kudeebee

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 11:51:26 PM »
There is a harbor tour close to the aquarium.

You are close to all kinds of beaches.

Drive down the coastal highway.

Crystal Cathedral isn't far.

SwissArmyGirlfriend

• Only Dots have that indefinable dotty yield.
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 12:52:12 AM »
I lived in Long Beach just a few years ago. I also researched the heck out of the place before moving there, since I'm pretty picky about my neighborhoods, so I know quite a lot (both good and bad) about the various neighborhoods and areas of town. If you have any specific questions please feel free to PM me!

In terms of general recommendations, as mentioned above, the port and the Queen Mary are both pretty cool. There are also some great museums in town - art, science, history - if those might be your jam.

My personal favorite site was always the Skinny House, but that's me.  :)

As for restaurants, if you're at all interested in Thai food - and non-chain, unique local places - definitely check out Thiptara. I now live further south and I still make the drive to LB solely for this place. Incredibly clean, delicious food, spacious and friendly restaurant (albeit with a small parking lot that's tricky to get into).

Happy to help more if you need it - just let me know!

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 10:36:47 AM »

We'll have our own vehicle, we're driving down from the Fresno, CA area. The Queen Mary sounds great, I'll definitely check into it. The kids chose Universal Studios & the LA Zoo over Disneyland this trip. One full day of adventure park crazy is about all any of us can handle. I'm hoping to get an hour or two inside an IKEA while we're there.

The reason I suggested Downtown Disney is that it's not the parks, just a shopping and dining district.

BTW, the IKEA in Costa Mesa (south of LB) is much larger than the one in Carson.

Do you need any suggestions for LA? I'm much better at that, depending on where you're staying.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

barkingmad

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 04:30:03 PM »
In the summer, water taxis are run by the bus company http://www.lbtransit.com/Services/WaterTaxis.aspx .

Crystal Cathedral is no more-it is now Christ Cathedral and belongs to the Diocese.

The skinny house is great-I have been privileged to go to a party there.

Long Beach and surrounding cities are full of non-chain, unique restaurants and events, but we also have a lot of malls and national chains if you prefer.