News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 19, 2017, 01:25:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 218331 times)

demarco

Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #1620 on: December 21, 2016, 05:32:37 PM »
I apologize in advance if (1) this has been said before and (2) you speak this way  :D.

I have a hard time with, for example, "The house needs painted."  It doesn't flow.  Whatever happened to "to be"?  I say, "The house needs to be painted".  Or, perhaps, "The house needs painting."

Is this a geographical or cultural thing?

I'm going to go with geographical. It drives me insane! I had never heard anyone speak that way until I started my job in a rural(ish) area. "These papers need copied." "My car needs washed."  It grates on me so much.

I first heard about this this phenomenon on thirtysomthing back in the early nineties. One of the characters said that someone "needs walked home" and suggested that was the way people talked in Pittsburgh. I never heard anyone speaking that way  in real life until the past couple of years when it came on like wildfire in my area. I live a couple of hours away from Pittsburgh. It's spreading!

o_gal

« Reply #1621 on: December 22, 2016, 06:23:36 AM »
I apologize in advance if (1) this has been said before and (2) you speak this way  :D.

I have a hard time with, for example, "The house needs painted."  It doesn't flow.  Whatever happened to "to be"?  I say, "The house needs to be painted".  Or, perhaps, "The house needs painting."

Is this a geographical or cultural thing?

I'm going to go with geographical. It drives me insane! I had never heard anyone speak that way until I started my job in a rural(ish) area. "These papers need copied." "My car needs washed."  It grates on me so much.

I first heard about this this phenomenon on thirtysomthing back in the early nineties. One of the characters said that someone "needs walked home" and suggested that was the way people talked in Pittsburgh. I never heard anyone speaking that way  in real life until the past couple of years when it came on like wildfire in my area. I live a couple of hours away from Pittsburgh. It's spreading!

Yep, that's hard core Pittsburgh-ese (I grew up in Monroeville, about 15 minutes east of dahntahn). I had to really train myself to stop saying it, and even now I'll revert back sometimes. But even here in west central Ohio, I'll hear people using it.

Have you had someone ask you yet if you can ride them to work?  ;D

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #1622 on: December 27, 2016, 01:31:20 PM »
I received a mass email Monday from a chain restaurant...

Form Restaurant Chain to you, welcome back after the holidays.

I am sure their marketing director was astonished at the misspelling of from.  From.  From.  You can sound that out and get it right. 

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #1623 on: December 27, 2016, 03:37:55 PM »

I am sure their marketing director was astonished at the misspelling of from.  From.  From.  You can sound that out and get it right.

That one I'll guess was the right hand typing faster than the left, and the eye not catching it because spellcheck was happy.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #1624 on: December 28, 2016, 12:14:40 PM »

That one I'll guess was the right hand typing faster than the left, and the eye not catching it because spellcheck was happy.

This is a typo I make in both directions and spell check won't catch it as both are real words. 
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

SheltieMom

« Reply #1625 on: January 06, 2017, 01:08:08 AM »
There's a video going around on Facebook right now of a 2 year being trapped by a falling dresser, and his twin brother lifts it off him. One of my friends, who I know is a college graduate, commented about the "Chester drawer", and she used it twice, so it wasn't just an oversight. I thought about sending her a message, but it just sounded wrong, so I didn't.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

rose red

« Reply #1626 on: January 06, 2017, 10:23:09 AM »
There's a video going around on Facebook right now of a 2 year being trapped by a falling dresser, and his twin brother lifts it off him. One of my friends, who I know is a college graduate, commented about the "Chester drawer", and she used it twice, so it wasn't just an oversight. I thought about sending her a message, but it just sounded wrong, so I didn't.

I might have gone the PA route and post "How horrifying for a child to be trapped under a chest of drawers. Poor little guy." >:D

Thipu1

« Reply #1627 on: January 06, 2017, 10:39:34 AM »
My late, lamented Aunt Loretta called the furniture a 'Chester Door'.  Of course, when Auntt Loretta had a cold she complained about a post-natal drip'.