News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 17, 2017, 12:44:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I am vacationing in Canada this year, any tips / tricks / advice  (Read 436 times)

POF

DH and I are going for 7 - 10 days. ( driving ) Starting in Vermont then spending 3 nights in Montreal, 2 nights in Quebec City and 1 night in Taudossac ( sp ? ). No plans or schedule for our trip home could take one day - could take 3 :) 

Montreal - booked a downtown hotel so we are close to public transportation.  Planning to get a GO pass - we want to see

Basilica Notre Dame, Biosphere, Botantical Gardens, Contemporary Art Museum, Mont Royal, Old Port, Old Montreal

Want to take a food tour, eat bagels and find some music to listen to ( we like Jazz, Folk and Pop ).

Quebec City we are staying in the old city and plan to look at historical sights and meander around ( would love some ideas )

Taudossac - whale watching and some hiking.

We like nature, history, art exhibits, arts and crafts , local markets, casual dining.  Not really into super elegant fine dining, but like to eat where locals eat. Will gladly eat anything but sushi or game.

Trying to have a mix of scheduled and non scheduled.  We buy a GO pass - because we find it gives us more flexibility to hit and run certain things ( may only be interested in a few exhibits ) or to try something new.  DH never knew he liked modern art.

Although we live on the New England coast, neither of us have ever been to Canada.

I'd appreciate any ideas you might have !

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:25:36 PM by cass2591 »

DanaJ

Re: I am vacationing in Canada this year, any tips / tricks / advice
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 03:45:47 PM »
When are you planning to go?

Coralreef

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 04:03:57 PM »
The Montreal Botanical Gardens also contain the Insectarium. The Greenhouses are a must. Next to the Gardens are the Biodome (like an indoor zoo) and the Planetarium.

If you happen to be in Montreal a Sunday, there are the Tam-Tams on Mont-Royal. The Chalet and Beaver Lake are worth it. There are no beavers but there are birds fishing and dropping the fish everywhere around the lake. Watch where you step.

There are food tours but I really enjoyed "Beyond the Bagel" offered by the Jewish Museum : http://imjm.ca/  Scroll down a bit for info and pricing.

Enjoy your time!

"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." - Office coffee cup.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 05:29:35 PM »
Some Montreal thoughts: Leave yourself plenty of time for the Botanic Garden, it's well worth it.

Basilica Notre Dame is sort of at the edge of the Old Port. Note that the Basilica is in use as a church: when I visited, we weren't allowed into one area because we'd have been intruding on services.

A three-day STM (transit) pass is well worth having.

I enjoyed climbing Mount Royal a few years ago, but if it's a hot day you might want to take a bus up. "Climbing" in this case means on a paved road, though of course moderately steep.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

POF

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 07:03:02 PM »
Thanks,

we are going the first week of September.  Hoping it will be cool. 

guihong

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 09:45:07 PM »
A little ways up the St. Lawrence is Pointe-au-Pere Maritime Historic Site.  There's a submarine to tour, and a museum dedicated to the Empress of Ireland, a passenger liner that sank there, killing over 1000 people. 

The Botanical Gardens are close to the 1976 Olympic Park and the stadium.  The former cycling building is the Biodome.

I did the same trip as you will thirty-odd years ago, and I loved Montreal, and Canada in general.  The trip was marred by my boyfriend at the time and an argument we had in downtown Montreal.  He insisted he knew where he was going, despite the fact that I understood and spoke some French.  At least I knew that "rue de la...anything" meant "street"  ;D.

klm75

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 08:11:18 AM »
We have just moved to the area, (south of Montreal) so your list is on my list of things to do when everything settles down. 

Found a little cafe this past weekend with lovely pastries and good coffee, https://www.barabeurre.com/