News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 08, 2016, 06:59:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Quick Help, please. Juicing lemons. Update #7: What did I do wrong?  (Read 1486 times)

quietgirl

Re: Quick Help, please. Juicing lemons. Update #7: What did I do wrong?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 08:23:16 AM »
I'm glad to know I can freeze lemons.  I often have a recipe that calls for zest and not juice so now I can take the zest off and freeze the naked lemon to use later for juice!

This one will blow your mind:  It's easier to zest the lemon when it's frozen.  But the lemon is cold, so zest at your own risk.  ;)

BeagleMommy

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 09:24:10 AM »
I've found I get the most juice out of citrus fruit if I roll in between my hand and the counter for a minute or two and then use an old fashioned reamer to extract the juice.

jpcher

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 05:28:57 PM »
Okay, I've never made this soup before and I'm a bit confused.

Here's the recipe:

http://whatskpcooking.com/2014/01/greek_chicken_lemon_rice_soup/

Add broth and rice to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook 15 minutes or until rice is cooked.
Add chicken to pot.
Remove soup from heat and cover.

At this point I have cooked rice. No broth or soup. ???

I'm doubling the recipe so I'm going to add an extra six cups of chicken broth to the already cooked rice and let it simmer for a bit then follow the rest of the recipe from there.

Did I misread the recipe?

Do you have any stories about recipes that you've tried that confused you?
I suspect you made a mistake when you doubled the recipe. You must have used 1.5 cups of rice with one 32 oz container of broth (that's only 4 cups). That would leave you with very little extra liquid if you also had the temp a bit too high.

Thank you.

Thinking back, I made rice. The way I always make rice. Out of habit. I used 1.5 cups of rice and 3 cups of broth.

Then, when I added the extra broth I let it sit for a bit so that the soup was timed for when the DDs and BFs arrived, you know the "serve immediately" part and didn't add the egg/broth/lemon part until later. So the rice absorbed even more liquid. ::)

The soup mush was very tasty.

I really have to stop multi-tasking when I'm trying a new recipe and pay attention! to the recipe. Sigh.

Zesting frozen lemons? I'm going to start freezing my lemons.

figee -- thanks for the forensic  explanation! ;D

magicdomino

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 08:16:14 PM »
Hm, I bet freezing works well with limes, too.  A co-worker gave me about 8 or 10 limes.  I can use some, of course, but it is getting too cold for limeade and mojitos.  Freezing would be helpful.