A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

S/O: House Hunting Horrors!

(1/148) > >>

mmswm:
Seems like there's a lot of us with horror stories about the house hunting process.  I've been enjoying them, but I don't want to get the never shopping there thread closed, so I thought it would be fun to have a separate thread.

The last couple of posts in that thread have been about houses with bedrooms that aren't.  I remember house hunting and looking at primarily "character" homes, or homes that were at least 75 years old.  I was astounded at what was called a bedroom.  In one house, the 4th "bedroom" was accessed by an impossibly steep spiral staircase and try not to smack your head on a wooden board that was nailed across the the doorway.  When you got down there, it was basically an unfinished basement with one single room that was drywalled in and called a bedroom.

Another house had a very lovely bathroom, if you didn't mind pepto bismol pink fixtures.  And I mean ALL the fixtures, including the oversized jacuzzi tub, toilet, sink and floor tiles.

snowdragon:
When I was considering buying a house I went into one that had not been cleaning in a good long time.  It looked like something out of a before commercial for Mighty Maids or something.  Underwear on the floor, dirty diapers on the counter in the bathroom, the master bedroom had the bed with out even sheets, and the kid's room were a disaster. basement looked like something out of hoarders and the garage had filled and open garbage cans in it.  The real estate agent was so embarrassed and could not apologize enough, but I wouldn't go look at anymore houses that day.

Elfmama:

--- Quote from: mmswm on February 22, 2013, 10:23:40 PM ---Another house had a very lovely bathroom, if you didn't mind pepto bismol pink fixtures.  And I mean ALL the fixtures, including the oversized jacuzzi tub, toilet, sink and floor tiles.

--- End quote ---
My MIL would have loved it.  The guest bedroom in her house was the same color.  Walls, curtains, bedspread, carpet...

Of course, it's cheaper to paint and recarpet than it is to renovate a bathroom.

My own story isn't a horror, but a humor.  When we were last looking for houses, we looked at 4 houses in our price range.  In the first one, the owners had taken the advice of those agents who say 'neutralize everything!'  Everything was white, with the exception of the carpet, which was beige.  All walls, the cabinets in the kitchen, the appliances, the bathrooms, etc. 

The second was the house that we eventually bought. 

So we get to discussing the houses at the end of the day, and he says "It looks like the first house is the one that's closest to what we want" and goes on to list the advantages of this house (4 beds, 3 baths, HUGE lot for this area, fenced back yard, fireplace, etc.)  And I am ??? because the first house had NONE of those features.  It had been so thoroughly neutralized  that there was absolutely NOTHING to remember it by, and DH had forgotten about it completely! 

snowdragon:

--- Quote from: Elfmama on February 22, 2013, 11:02:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: mmswm on February 22, 2013, 10:23:40 PM ---Another house had a very lovely bathroom, if you didn't mind pepto bismol pink fixtures.  And I mean ALL the fixtures, including the oversized jacuzzi tub, toilet, sink and floor tiles.

--- End quote ---
My MIL would have loved it.  The guest bedroom in her house was the same color.  Walls, curtains, bedspread, carpet...

Of course, it's cheaper to paint and recarpet than it is to renovate a bathroom.

My own story isn't a horror, but a humor.  When we were last looking for houses, we looked at 4 houses in our price range.  In the first one, the owners had taken the advice of those agents who say 'neutralize everything!'  Everything was white, with the exception of the carpet, which was beige.  All walls, the cabinets in the kitchen, the appliances, the bathrooms, etc. 

The second was the house that we eventually bought. 

So we get to discussing the houses at the end of the day, and he says "It looks like the first house is the one that's closest to what we want" and goes on to list the advantages of this house (4 beds, 3 baths, HUGE lot for this area, fenced back yard, fireplace, etc.)  And I am ??? because the first house had NONE of those features.  It had been so thoroughly neutralized  that there was absolutely NOTHING to remember it by, and DH had forgotten about it completely!

--- End quote ---

I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE,LOVE that look...it makes decorating so much easier. When I have a house that is exactly the color scheme I am having.

weeblewobble:
The first house DH and I ever looked at was a "well, it's in our price range" looksie.  I had no interest in living in the area where the house was (too far from town), plus, it butted up against some very "fragrant" farmland AND the exterior brick looked like melted fudge ripple ice cream.  I hated it before we even saw it, but DH insisted we look at it.

We knew going in that the couple selling the house was doing so because they were divorcing.  Walking through the house, it was very clear that the separation was NOT amicable.  The husband didn't want to leave the house because he thought it weakened his position in the divorce, so he decided he was going to make life as miserable as possible for his wife, even if it hurt their chances of selling the house.  Any area where the husband was living was intentionally left very messy.  He left FILTHY clothes all over the laundry room (as in the only possible way he could have gotten them that dirty was to intentionally roll around in manure).  And when the real estate agent opened up the "guest room" to show it to us, we saw an enormous pile of animal pelts, taxidermically preserved animals and various "serial killer" decor items.  They were just piled in the middle of an empty bedroom.

The real estate lost her cool for a moment and said, "Good God, that's creepy."  Then ushered us out of there.

As we climbed into the car, I gave DH the patented, "I'm not going to say I told you so, but I TOLD YOU SO" look.  DH told me, "We will never speak of this again."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version