Author Topic: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!  (Read 84327 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!
« Reply #120 on: February 27, 2013, 10:06:20 AM »
My in laws bought a fixer upper and MIL told us of how the previous owners had been chain smokers so they had a few things done in order to get rid of the smell of smoke in the walls.  As one guy was tearing down the wall he started coughing and gagging.  Turns out the family had cats and because they were smoking so heavily, the smell of smoke was covering the smell of cat urine.  Apparently the people weren't very good about scooping litter boxes and so the cats were going anywhere. :P

The previous tenants of our house apparently smoked like chimneys - the house was pretty thoroughly aired out, so we've never gotten much more than the occasional whiff of smoke smell, but the rooms that get humid at all (kitchen, bathroom), end up with brown stuff dripping down the walls.

I can't wait to get out and buy a house.

The cleaning spray Greased Lightning will get that out of the walls.  Spray it heavily, let it drip for about half a minute, wipe it off, the wipe it off again with a very clean rag to get the residue the first rag missed.  It's a fair amount of work, but we've recovered the walls in a number of rental units this way. It's effective and a lot less expensive than painting, plus it also gets a lot of the other marks out of the walls.

I'll have to look for that, thanks!

Tri-sodium phosphate works well too, and is quite inexpensive.  We used that on my grandmother's walls.  She chain-smoked.  I've also used diluted 409 spray.

<edited because I accidentally hit save too soon>

I had the same issues helping my parents clean out their house and get it ready to sell. 30 years worth of "stuff" and my father's chain smoking, although the last 5 or so he was not allowed to smoke in the house :) I can remember washing down the walls in the bathroom he used, and they were yellow and nasty. took forever to get them clean too!  House sold quickly, in less than a day (during the boom). Sadly, it was all for naught as the new owner ended up tearing it down completely, and rebuilding. But not after he was shut down for only having a permit to renovate, not demolish. Town made him go through the propoer procedures. hahaha I suspect that was his intention all along but he was too lazy to get the proper permits.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #121 on: February 27, 2013, 10:14:33 AM »
Some friends of mine, when they were selling their house, discovered that the previous owner had installed the back bathroom using taped-together coffee cans as pipes for the toilet.
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

Hillia

« Reply #122 on: February 27, 2013, 10:23:06 AM »
This was a rental house.  Phoenix had a bad time during the real estate boom/bust, with tons of new construction which foreclosed pretty quickly and turned into rentals.  We were looking at one such house; had just been foreclosed on and was hitting the rental market.  The rental agent hadn't actually been to the house, as it was quite a distance from their office, but he told me where the key was hidden.  It was a nice house but had been totally trashed - stove smashed, dishwasher ripped out, food and motor oil smeared into the carpets, red syrup splashed on the walls/carpets, security system panels ripped from the walls, holes in the walls, etc.

In spite of the damage, we liked the house, so the rental company sent in crews to clean and repair.  A week before we were due to move in, I went to check on the progress.  Everything was done, but apparently the teenage son of the previous owners was involved in a love triangle involving a girl named Jazmyn.  The other girl came in to the house (it hadn't been secured) and drew a giant, naked female on the 12' high wall facing the front door, and a matching giant, naked male on the wall in the family room.  She had used a purple Sharpie marker to write commentary about Jazmyn, her eating habits, her personal appearance, and her s3xual morals on every flat surface - countertops, cabinet doors, walls - and had continued the commentary outside on the brick fence and patio using pink spray paint.

It did eventually get cleaned up, although the pink spray paint outside was still there when we left 5 years later, and the purple Sharpie took many scrubbings and several months to fade.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #123 on: February 27, 2013, 12:18:56 PM »
My grandmother was married four times during her life, once divorced, twice widowed. My grandmother was the sole owner of all her property and homes.

When she passed away, her husband H was at a loss. Moreso than most people losing a spouse, because he could neither read nor write and he didn't know how to do anything in the kitchen. The will stated that H could live in the house, but it would pass to my mother and aunt as my grandmother's heirs after H passed away.

H started bringing home women to cook for him, clean and pay bills (which is a scary concept). The third woman brought home W, became H's wife. A year after my grandmother passed away, H passed away. W immediately invited her son and his girlfriend and their very small children to live there. While my mother and aunt went through the court system, W and her son et al trashed the place. Dirty diapers everywhere, they didn't feed the livestock, they didn't pay the power bill so it got cut off. W also stole my grandmother's antique sewing machines.  >:(

It took three months to clean the place enough for my aunt to move in.

KB

« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2013, 02:51:25 PM »
I have been looking for my first house and found this beautiful property. It is seriously gorgeous and was up for auction in mid-February with a price range of $440-480,000.

I went to an open house and discovered the one problem with it and the reason that a) it didn't sell at auction and b) the price has been dropped by $30,000.

It's tiny!

As in super-small. The entire width of the house is 7.5 metres (approx 25 feet) and the length about 9m (approx 30 feet).

I was at the open for inspection with quite a lot of other people and we all had to keep waiting for others to get out of the way so we could get into the rooms, even though most of the house was quite open-plan. It was also possible to hear every single couple murmur to each other "It's very small, isn't it?"

The agent kept talking about how huge the garden was. I'd have preferred a few metres less garden and a bit more to the house!

EmmaJ.

« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2013, 03:29:06 PM »
Some friends of mine, when they were selling their house, discovered that the previous owner had installed the back bathroom using taped-together coffee cans as pipes for the toilet.

My eyes just popped out of my head.  I had to read that three times and still have trouble believing someone would be that crazy. 

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2013, 03:58:23 PM »
I haven't done much house hunting but when my former roommate and I decided to find a new apartment with 2 bedrooms, we saw a couple of doozies.  We each had entry level jobs and not a lot of money, so we were looking in "up and coming" neighborhoods (aka "It will be hot in 15 years!")  So we saw some interesting places.  We saw some nice and some not so nice places that for whatever reason weren't suitable.  These were the most memorable.

The first apartment wasn't bad, per se.  But when our apartment hunter guy showed it to us, the family that lived there was right in the middle of dinner.  And they also had this really strange wariness about them, like they were going to get in trouble or something.  It was so bizarre and we were completely mortified that we were interrupting their dinner.   Then on the way out, some of the local neighborhood boys started shouting that if we moved in, they'd kill us.  So we passed on that one. 

We found the second one on our own through an ad.  Oh my.  It was on the top floor of a 2-flat.  First, the landlord was almost an hour late and acted like this whole thing was just a huge inconvenience.  The apartment had potential at first; a nice sized living room with southern exposure, a decent bedroom and a decent sized bathroom. 

Then it went south.  There was a dining room but that only existed because the landlord decided no one wants a kitchen and moved the kitchen into the teeny pantry with a short counter, single bowl sink and stove.  The fridge was in the dining room.  And the stove was blocking the mandatory 2nd exit.  When my roommate pointed this out, LL got huffy and said if we needed to get out, just move the stove.  DUH.

Oh, and that second bedroom?  A closet that didn't even have a door.  The current tenants had a twin bed in there and it took up the entire wall with room for little else.  LL told us we could just put a dresser in the living room.

Between the obvious fire code violations, the fact that the landlord wasn't giving off a warm and fuzzy vibe and the exorbitant rent, we decided to pass on it.  The landlord followed us all the way out to our car, yelling about how much we'd wasted his time.   ::)

The third one we also found on our own.  It was a good sized place but the rent was a little on the high side and it had about 25 guys living in it.  There was this...stench...that neither of us could identify and the place was a tip.  Everything was just so dirty and gross that we passed on that one too.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2013, 04:04:25 PM »

My eyes just popped out of my head.  I had to read that three times and still have trouble believing someone would be that crazy.

You ever watch those house-flipping shows, where they run out of money and start doing everything with twist ties and duct tape? I keep thinking, "Someone is going to BUY that firetrap!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

scansons

« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2013, 04:44:09 PM »
We just moved to a small town, under 15,000, for DH's job.  We spent 6 months house hunting and finally found a little 60's ranch that we just love.  Up until we  found it we were  starting  to lose hope.  Tons of stuff on the market.  Most of it way over valued, and much of  it not in very good shape.  The thing that made us laugh though was actually one of the sellers.   DH has a pretty publicly visible job.  So it was no secret that we  had moved to town and were looking for a house. 

We actually looked at this sellers house.  It was over our price,  but our realtor thought we could get them down since they had already bought another house.  Just for reference,  it was listed  at $50,000 over the house we ended up buying.  The house was not in good shape.  The basement bathroom had flooded so many times that they'd just taken it out.  There were lights missing from sockets, which you'd think they'd be concerned about since they were showing it.   There was foundation work that needed to be done.  There were termites.   The roof over the garage need to be replace.   Someone had poured the concret front porch, and the back porch without adding steps.  So it was one huge step to get up or down either of them.  And there was a really low hanging ceiling fan in the basement playroom, which just seemed sinister.   We did look at the house twice.  But decided even if we could get  them down to the top of our range, it was too much work for  too little gain.  So we moved on. 

About a two weeks later, my DH's secretary got a call from the seller.   She'd heard we'd moved into the area.   Would we like to see her house?    Also, she tried to convince two people in town that are associated with my DH's work that he should look at her house.  And seller cuts hair.  So I heard from two or three of her clients.  Had we seen so and so's house yet?  We told everyone we had, and that it just wasn't for us.  But we were starting to feel a little hunted. 

Six months later, they are finally down to the top of our range as a listing price.  We still payed $30,000 less, for a  house that is in much better shape, and that we love.  So  we're not real broke up about it. 

magicdomino

« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2013, 04:49:41 PM »

You ever watch those house-flipping shows, where they run out of money and start doing everything with twist ties and duct tape? I keep thinking, "Someone is going to BUY that firetrap!"

And I thought it was bad when friends who are fixing up their house to sell, replace appliances and windows with the cheapest models they can find.  Even the cheapest stove isn't duct-taped.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2013, 08:15:22 PM »
When my BIL & SIL were getting to sell their house, they found out that the previous owner who had converted a garage to a family room, had used stereo wiring in the walls for electricity.  :(

katycoo

« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2013, 09:58:58 PM »
I am still a little boggled that so many appliances are sold with the house.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2013, 10:03:22 PM »

Around here it's standard that the stove and an installed (non-portable) dishwasher are included; fridges vary. If the listing mentions the appliances, they're supposed to stay.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2013, 12:47:01 AM »

It's pretty typical here in the US. However there are always exceptions to the rule

Not sure about other places
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2013, 01:27:18 AM »
Not the norm at here. With few exceptions, houses and apartments don't come with any appliances at all. Personally, I prefer to choose my own appliances instead of having to deal with whatever model the previous owner liked or was cheapest