Author Topic: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!  (Read 91472 times)

menley

Re: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2013, 01:35:05 PM »
When my husband and I first looked at houses, we saw quite a few doozies. I think the "best" was the one which had clearly been owned by a fraternity at one point. I say this because the nice terra cotta stonework in the dining room had been chipped out in the middle, concrete poured in, and a giant fraternity emblem painted on it. This, plus the pervasive cat smell, made us head for the door about 30 seconds after walking in.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2013, 01:57:50 PM »
I just ram into a house with a nice backyard... accessed only through the garage.  Isn't that a little odd?

Well if you keep ramming into it, you'll make a whole new access point!   ;D

Cami

« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2013, 02:13:53 PM »
Needed to share mine before I got through page 3.

As first time home-buyers, DH and I went to a seminar put on by one of the relators in our town.  Very informative stuff.  About 8 months later, we decided to make an appointment with the gal.  I had a fairly detailed list of what I must have in a home, what would be nice to have, and what would have been "icing on the cake" (not mandatory, but good).  DH and I had carefully budgeted and figured what range we were looking at and could get a loan for.  When we talked with the woman, she never asked anything about what we were looking for.  About 15 minutes into the conversation, she asked our price range that we were thinking while pulling up pages of large McMansion-style homes in $$$ neighborhoods.  We told her. "Oh NO.  You can't get anything for that range.  With your incomes you could get <double what we were planning> as a loan." And then in the most condesending voice I have ever had used on me, "I don't think you understand WHAT you would get for THAT low of an amount."
Before DH could inhale to say something, I raised an eyebrow.  "Well, since you finally asked what we are looking for in a home, perhaps this will help. I was thinking of (the rest said in bullet points and quickly) a RANCH house, less than 1000 square foot, older home not newly built, 2-3 bedrooms, a full basement that doesn't have to be finished, at least a one car garage and something that is in town, not in <name of suburb that is $$>. Do you think that THAT house might be in our range?" 

She (or her assistant) called for about 5 months trying to interest us into houses that we still WAY over our budget and not at all what we were looking for.  I finally had to be blunt and tell her to remove us from your list now. 

I will put of our actual houses that we ended up looking at with our new relator* later.

*Our new relator actually started the first conversation with "How much are you looking to spend and what are you looking to get." She loved my list.

Ugh, the realtors we've dealt with. Ugh.

1. I had seen a house with a For Sale sign and called the realtor listed. He asked me to come in, Fine. I do. He starts asking me what I want. Also fine, but I really just wanted to see THAT house. You know, the one with the sign out front with your name on it. Ignores me, but keeps asking what I want. I was younger then and went along with it. Told him what we wanted and didn't want. Deal breakers: "Garage house" -- the house style in which you can't see anything of the house besides the front door tacked onto the garage; kitchen up front as you walk in; a certain development.

Guess what he tries to show me? Houses that met every single one of those dealbreakers. After the fifth one, I turned to him and said, "I think you totally misunderstood. Garage houses, kitchens up front and that development are my dealBREAKERS." He looked at me with this incredible sneer and said, "I heard you. You just don't know what you want. I'm showing you what you should buy, what you should want." I told him what I wanted was to be brought back to the office asap so I could stop wasting my time with someone who wasn't showing me what I wanted. He kept trying to argue with me and I finally got out of the car and walked.

2. Went to visit the realtor who works with a "Custom Builder." We liked one house plan, except that I wanted a different facade and one side of the houset to be bumped out 6 feet. "Oh, we can't do that. It's custom work." Cue me blinking and spluttering in confusion. "Ummmm.... " I point to the sign over her head. "It says CUSTOM builder." She shakes her head, "Custom doesn't mean custom."  :o

3. Went to a Parade of Homes. Saw a house we liked. The realtor is sitting at the kitchen counter studiously ignoring all of the potential clients who CAME TO HIM. I go up and say, "Excuse me, we're interested in this house--" He cuts me off and says, "This house is sold." Never lifts his eyes off his book. I later met someone who told me that they tried to buy a house from that guy too and he said he was too busy to deal with them.

4. Went to an open house. LOVED the house. Went up to the realtor and asked about it and he takes one look at me and says, "It's out of your price range." Okeydokey. I admit I laughed my butt off when that house finally sold months later for way below the original asking price.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 02:16:46 PM by Cami »

scansons

« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2013, 03:44:38 PM »
Three or four year back, before our most recent move, my DH and I were considering a move for a job in rural Northern Missouri.  We got in contact with a realtor to show us some houses while we looked at the rest of the community.  She was great. Nice.  Funny.  Showing us what we wanted to see.  Day one goes great.   

On day two it was raining.  And in fact, it had been raining for most of the week before, which we didn't know.  Since we aren't seeing anything we really like in town, she takes us out to see a more rural house.  DH is driving, and realtor is directing.  She takes us over a low rise that we couldn't see over.  The other side turns out to be and downhill slope, followed by an uphill slope probably 12-15 yards going down, and at least that much going back up.  The whole road is at least six inches deep in sticky thick mud.  We get stuck half way down in the rental car.  DH tried to get out of the car.  He ended up leaving his shoes by the end side of the road. 

Cell phones are not working well.  When we finally get through, Triple A refuses to come, cause they'll just get stuck too.  Poor realtor, she got out in the rain, climbed up the hill, and got a farmer nearby to pull us out with his tractor.  It took us about 15 dollars at the local car wash to get all that up out of and off the rental car.  Oy.  Luckily, no serious damage to us, or the car. 

Yeah, back at the hotel that night we decided that DH would not be taking the job offer.  But the realtor was great.   

EnoughAlready22

« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2013, 03:44:56 PM »
When my BIL & SIL were getting to sell their house, they found out that the previous owner who had converted a garage to a family room, had used stereo wiring in the walls for electricity.  :(

This happened to my ex and I.  The house we bought had an addition.  We didn't find out about the stereo wiring until the house caught on fire.

Shalamar

« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2013, 03:52:46 PM »
"Custom doesn't mean custom." 

Oh my.  I think that belongs in the Exchanges That Make Your Brain Hurt thread.

Bethczar

« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2013, 04:52:36 PM »
DH & I were looking at houses about 5 years ago. We saw a listing in the Sunday paper for a "1 1/2 bedroom" house. Perplexed and intrigued, we went to the open house. The half-bedroom was one end the (small!) living room, with a folding screen dividing the bed from the rest of the room.

It was a cute house, very small (about 600 sq ft), and definitely only a 1 bedroom.

Daquiri40

« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2013, 05:10:59 PM »
I bought my house 20 years ago.  Before I found it:

- house that reeked of dog poo.  To cover it up, the owners had poured Lysol all over the basement floor.  It didn't help and actually made it worst.

- a really small house with the living room in the back of the house.  In front of the picture window was an enormous tree that took up the entire back yard which had no grass growing, because of well...the tree.

- the house with a basement filled with empty plastic milk jugs.  There were hundreds.  Why, I don't know.

- I loved the downstairs of one house but the upstairs had the oddest bathroom setup.  Two nice sized bedrooms on either side of the staircase.  On the opposite wall - one room with the toilet and sink, and the other room with the tub/shower. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #158 on: March 05, 2013, 06:15:42 PM »
I don't ride with the realtor ever. We drive separately, so we can go our own ways when we are done.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2013, 06:21:04 PM »
- I loved the downstairs of one house but the upstairs had the oddest bathroom setup.  Two nice sized bedrooms on either side of the staircase.  On the opposite wall - one room with the toilet and sink, and the other room with the tub/shower. 

This is actually quite handy - one person taking a long soak doesn't tie up the rest of the facilities for the family. I believe it is more common in Europe than in the US but I rather like it.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #160 on: March 05, 2013, 08:30:19 PM »

This is actually quite handy - one person taking a long soak doesn't tie up the rest of the facilities for the family. I believe it is more common in Europe than in the US but I rather like it.

I've never seen it or heard of it, although we do have 'compartmentalized' bathrooms here in newer, bigger homes.  But honestly, I think what you describe sounds even better;  it sounds like a great idea!!

CakeEater

« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2013, 10:12:55 PM »
Not a horror, but we once looked at a house where all the walls of the entryway, up the stairwell and in the living room at the top of the stairs were covered in ribbons for show jumping. There would have been at least hundreds of ribbons in various colours. It made it hard to look at the house itself.

snowdragon

« Reply #162 on: March 05, 2013, 10:20:30 PM »
I am a single, over 50 female, I went to one realtor who told me he wouldn't work with me because "houses are for families, apartments are for singles".

such a gem, I tell you. 

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #163 on: March 05, 2013, 10:22:07 PM »

My guest bath has the double sink, then a doorway leading to the inner bathroom with the toilet and tub. I like it, because you can do things like wash your hands or check the mirror when someone else is using the tub or toilet. I think it was especially handy to the people who lived here before me, who had several girls sharing that bathroom. :)

snowdragon

« Reply #164 on: March 05, 2013, 10:25:34 PM »
I just ram into a house with a nice backyard... accessed only through the garage.  Isn't that a little odd?

I would love it, especially if it had a privacy fence.  No way for the neighbors to get in your yard for any reason