News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 17, 2017, 06:14:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!  (Read 374518 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!
« Reply #1770 on: October 04, 2017, 08:59:51 AM »
We now think the toys in the yard are mostly from dogs, certainly not the ones on the 16' eaves of the roof.

More horrors here, it seems like the people who owned the house two times ago had either a invisible fence, or lots of irrigation.

Why? We were digging out a tree stump, and found wires. Lots of wires. Red and white wires. We found PVC pipe buried around the surround for the pool enclosure. This will be an all week project to get the wires dug out, and determine what we need to do about the pipes.

We have sprinklers! DH was digging for planting and somehow hit the solenoid. The sprinklers came up out of the ground and started sprinkling the backyard.  :o

At some point, they just removed the sprinkler control box, and cut the wiring. So now we get to redo the wiring and have built in sprinklers.

It's the yard of never ending surprises.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Chez Miriam

« Reply #1771 on: October 04, 2017, 09:02:38 AM »
Maybe I've been listening to too many true crime podcasts, but when I read this part:

This home was built with concrete blocks and is completely solid and sturdy. Also has an aluminum roof and a lot of land(timber) potential. Hunter's paradise with complete privacy!

I thought it said: "Serial killer's paradise!"

But can you blame me?

Having seen the thing, the only quibble I have with your post is the use of the word "house"! ;) ;D

Technically, it didn't say "house" it said "home".  So, you know... "home".... "evil lair"... tomayto, tomahto.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #1772 on: October 04, 2017, 05:43:40 PM »
We now think the toys in the yard are mostly from dogs, certainly not the ones on the 16' eaves of the roof.

More horrors here, it seems like the people who owned the house two times ago had either a invisible fence, or lots of irrigation.

Why? We were digging out a tree stump, and found wires. Lots of wires. Red and white wires. We found PVC pipe buried around the surround for the pool enclosure. This will be an all week project to get the wires dug out, and determine what we need to do about the pipes.

We have sprinklers! DH was digging for planting and somehow hit the solenoid. The sprinklers came up out of the ground and started sprinkling the backyard.  :o

At some point, they just removed the sprinkler control box, and cut the wiring. So now we get to redo the wiring and have built in sprinklers.

It's the yard of never ending surprises.

Would that be the pipes buried around the pool enclosure? The previous owners of our house had a pop-up sprinkler system, but when they got tired of it / decided to stop maintaining it / whatever it was they did, they cut off the pipes that would have connected it to the taps (high enough to be really obvious and obtrusive, low enough that you can't reconnect them) and dug out some of the piping and sprinkler heads but not most of them.  ::)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1773 on: October 04, 2017, 05:55:35 PM »
We have a sprinkler control box in the garage,  We have a broken off tall sprinkler(?) in the front flower bed (found it when looking for the clean out for the sewer drains).  What we don't have is any idea whether or not anything is still connected, as we bought the house over eleven years ago and it has  not been maintained at all...

Good luck, finding that you have a sprinkler system and that it works!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

parrot_girl

« Reply #1774 on: November 02, 2017, 03:35:48 AM »
When the listing starts with "Renovate or Detonate" you know it's a good one.

(I personally would go with "Detonate".)

https://www.domain.com.au/1-3-view-road-the-patch-vic-3792-2013937450?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=dynamic-exchange&utm_campaign=c-all-mf_Buy

Anyone else getting a "haunted house" vibe?

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #1775 on: November 02, 2017, 06:46:18 AM »
We have a lot of houses like that in my area that come up for foreclosure, but they are usually much, much less expensive. That must be quite the desirable area!

Twik

« Reply #1776 on: November 08, 2017, 09:37:39 AM »

https://www.domain.com.au/1-3-view-road-the-patch-vic-3792-2013937450?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=dynamic-exchange&utm_campaign=c-all-mf_Buy

Actually I'm thinking that yes, that could be renovated into a nice house. Love the woods around it. But of course the renovation would probably cost twice as much as teardown and build fresh.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Xandraea

« Reply #1777 on: December 12, 2017, 12:06:35 PM »
Someone posted this gem of a house listing on another board.  There is a house somewhere under all that....stuff...

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2700-Churchill-Dr-SE-Huntsville-AL-35801/92152535_zpid/

It looks like a shop I used to frequent in my home city. There's stuff in there id love to have

Perhaps this is resurrecting an old post, but I clicked the link and this house is still up for sale, but for a couple hundred thousand less than it was last year. I don't know if the photos are the same, but it still looks amazingly overdone, though clean. Interesting that after this long they haven't taken more of the decor out to perhaps appeal to more buyers. It does look like a great house behind all that stuff!

gramma dishes

« Reply #1778 on: December 12, 2017, 01:04:33 PM »
Someone posted this gem of a house listing on another board.  There is a house somewhere under all that....stuff...

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2700-Churchill-Dr-SE-Huntsville-AL-35801/92152535_zpid/

It looks like a shop I used to frequent in my home city. There's stuff in there id love to have

It is odd that they're using (presumably) the same pictures.  Is there any possibility that they're selling it furnished as is?  I can't imagine that the owners don't want/need to have some of their belongings at their new home?

Perhaps this is resurrecting an old post, but I clicked the link and this house is still up for sale, but for a couple hundred thousand less than it was last year. I don't know if the photos are the same, but it still looks amazingly overdone, though clean. Interesting that after this long they haven't taken more of the decor out to perhaps appeal to more buyers. It does look like a great house behind all that stuff!

DanaJ

« Reply #1779 on: December 12, 2017, 04:02:43 PM »
Curbed has some additional photos. Yeesh. Depending on how all that stuff is mounted on the walls, it could be a part of the problem. The walls look like textured plaster (ah, the 70's!). If you have to repair 8 million nail/screw holes....  :-\   Since it was built in 1975, general upgrades are probably needed too. It's hard to tell if they've been modernizing things over the years.

Ouch! $600 /month in property taxes!

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #1780 on: December 12, 2017, 05:07:17 PM »
My problem with it isn't the stuff, I would assume the sellers are taking it all with them and if not I could have a giant garage sale :)

My problems is the house looks like it is stuffed onto a tiny, awkwardly shaped lot.  I would rather have smaller house with more room around it than large house with only a few feet between me and the neighbors.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1781 on: December 12, 2017, 05:25:24 PM »
I have seen quite a few houses where everything in the pictures was included.

You, as the buyer, would have to pay for a dumpster and removal of the items you did not want.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1782 on: December 13, 2017, 02:22:05 AM »

Actually I'm thinking that yes, that could be renovated into a nice house. Love the woods around it. But of course the renovation would probably cost twice as much as teardown and build fresh.
Iím not sure about either as I think thereís asbestos in that house. Many old houses in Australia contain asbestos and itís a pain to do anything with. An expensive pain.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #1783 on: December 13, 2017, 08:18:17 AM »
Curbed has some additional photos. Yeesh. Depending on how all that stuff is mounted on the walls, it could be a part of the problem. The walls look like textured plaster (ah, the 70's!). If you have to repair 8 million nail/screw holes....  :-\   Since it was built in 1975, general upgrades are probably needed too. It's hard to tell if they've been modernizing things over the years.

Well, it's one way of hiding hideous walls? ;) ;D
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Belle

« Reply #1784 on: December 13, 2017, 09:54:58 AM »

Wow. I looked at some of the current photos, side by side with what it used to look like. It still looks really cramped and cluttered, but I can see that they did remove tons of stuff already.

I really don't know how they moved around in the house before without breaking something.