Author Topic: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!  (Read 93206 times)

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
Re: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!
« Reply #660 on: September 06, 2013, 12:16:14 PM »
This house looks pretty neat, and it's a bargain at only $1.7 million.  Of course, the fact that the entire thing is built as a nuclear bunker underground and is a time capsule from the 70s only adds to its charm . . .

I love it! It's so terrible, it's charming.  What the French call jolie-laide, I believe.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #661 on: September 06, 2013, 12:29:18 PM »
This house looks pretty neat, and it's a bargain at only $1.7 million.  Of course, the fact that the entire thing is built as a nuclear bunker underground and is a time capsule from the 70s only adds to its charm . . .

I love it! It's so terrible, it's charming.  What the French call jolie-laide, I believe.

I agree!  If somehow it could be altered just to reduce the rather alarming amount of pink, it's actually a very cool place!

magicdomino

« Reply #662 on: September 06, 2013, 12:29:43 PM »

Didn't I see this on CSI?   :)

The fake rock barbeque!  The truncated fake trees!  The pink-trimmed kitchen with the toaster built into the wall!  The not-particularly-realistic mural!  Not anywhere near my price range, of course, but I have to admit, it would be tempting for the kitsch value.

magicdomino

« Reply #663 on: September 06, 2013, 12:32:42 PM »

I agree!  If somehow it could be painted or otherwise altered to reduce the rather alarming amount of pink, it's actually a very cool place!!

Eh, I could live with the pink-trimmed kitchen, but I'd have to do something with that room with ceiling and walls covered with gold fabric.  Actually, if I had the kind of money to spend $1.7 million on a house, I'd consider replacing the mural with some kind of photographic/electronic version.

Eeep!

« Reply #664 on: September 06, 2013, 12:50:36 PM »

I agree!  If somehow it could be painted or otherwise altered to reduce the rather alarming amount of pink, it's actually a very cool place!!

Eh, I could live with the pink-trimmed kitchen, but I'd have to do something with that room with ceiling and walls covered with gold fabric.  Actually, if I had the kind of money to spend $1.7 million on a house, I'd consider replacing the mural with some kind of photographic/electronic version.

I would totally keep everything - even that ridiculous gold room! After all, there is a regular house up above!  If only I had millions to throw around. :(
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #665 on: September 06, 2013, 01:48:39 PM »
Heck - live downstairs (repaint a bit - new appliances for the kitchen & wire it for internet access) - then use the ground floor house either for guests or for rental property.

Can you imagine the awesome parties in the "basement" with no danger of neighbors complaining about the noise?  Lack of parking, maybe.......but noise? 

And, in the event of zombies, go downstairs and wait them out.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

daisy1679

« Reply #666 on: September 06, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »

Didn't I see this on CSI?   :)

The fake rock barbeque!  The truncated fake trees!  The pink-trimmed kitchen with the toaster built into the wall!  The not-particularly-realistic mural!  Not anywhere near my price range, of course, but I have to admit, it would be tempting for the kitsch value.

I'm pretty sure this is the house they used for that episode! If not, then they must have copied it, because the  "outside" sure looks the same  :)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #667 on: September 06, 2013, 02:23:17 PM »
When we were looking at houses we looked at one that was too large for us two (among other things) but as we were coming out of that house we noticed that someone was putting a "For Sale" sign in front of the house next door.  Our realtor got the door code and we looked at it and loved it.  We looked at several more, but decided we liked this one, so our realtor called the company that was offering it for sale.  He put the phone on speaker (told the guy he was doing it) and the seller told us, "That house is going for $149,000."  Under the circumstances that was a steal, so we put in an offer. 

Then the company tried to tell us, "He gave you the wrong price.  That house is actually $169,000."  We didn't fall for that one.  They also tried to claim that because we were getting such a good deal they shouldn't have to fix the problems our inspector found.  We didn't fall for that one, either.  Finally they decided that a buyer in the hand was definitely worth two in the bush, and took our offer, and we moved in two months later.  Our realtor had warned us ahead of time that the company selling the house might try both of those things.  We not only got a nice house when the market was at the bottom, we got a good interest rate.

mandycorn

« Reply #668 on: September 06, 2013, 05:32:54 PM »
I've started watching the tv show Flip or Flop on HGTV, following a married couple who flip houses and I saw one that was absolutely horrifying.

They bought a foreclosure at an auction, without touring the inside, based on the neighborhood and square footage. Once they got into the house, they found that someone had vandalized the entire house: breaking every window, slashing the blinds, and smearing unnamed substances on walls and floors. The worst part, though, was that every sink, toilet, and tub had concrete dumped into the water, where it then hardened. They had to replace every single one of them, and a large portion of the plumbing.

I know foreclosures get vandalized, but I think the worst part for me was the creativity with the cement. That was one I'd never heard of and I was amazed (in a bad way) that somebody would think to do that.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #669 on: September 06, 2013, 05:42:43 PM »
...   The worst part, though, was that every sink, toilet, and tub had concrete dumped into the water, where it then hardened. They had to replace every single one of them, and a large portion of the plumbing.

I know foreclosures get vandalized, but I think the worst part for me was the creativity with the cement. That was one I'd never heard of and I was amazed (in a bad way) that somebody would think to do that.

If it was a foreclosure, then the identity of the previous "owners" were known.  I would think that the bank or whoever owned the property could find those people and go after them for the vandalism, including a choice of paying for all the repairs and replacements or spending a significant amount of time in jail.  I DO understand their frustration, but basically what they did was still both not only morally, but also legally wrong.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #670 on: September 06, 2013, 05:45:05 PM »

I love the fake-boulder barbecue. 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #671 on: September 06, 2013, 05:48:08 PM »

I do too, but wouldn't it be dangerous to use inside?  Maybe not if it's natural gas or electric, I guess.

Hillia

« Reply #672 on: September 06, 2013, 07:04:45 PM »
...   The worst part, though, was that every sink, toilet, and tub had concrete dumped into the water, where it then hardened. They had to replace every single one of them, and a large portion of the plumbing.

If it was a foreclosure, then the identity of the previous "owners" were known.  I would think that the bank or whoever owned the property could find those people and go after them for the vandalism, including a choice of paying for all the repairs and replacements or spending a significant amount of time in jail.  I DO understand their frustration, but basically what they did was still both not only morally, but also legally wrong.

Problem is, you can't prove they did it.  'We moved out...if someone broke in after that, it's not our fault'. 

The house we rented in Phoenix had been totally vandalized by the owners on the way out; they smashed holes in the drywall, ripped out the security system alarm panels, poured bleach on all the carpets, poured red syrup on the carpets then mixed in sugar and flour, smashed the glass door on the oven, and tore down all the blinds and shredded the window screens.  The rental company got it fixed up, but before we could move in, the jilted girlfriend of the former owners'  teenage son broke in and drew a giant naked woman on one wall in pink spray paint, drew a corresponding naked man on another wall, wrote slurs about someone named Jazmyn in purple Sharpie marker all over the kitchen counters, and used the same pink spray paint to write more about Jazmyn on the cinderblock walls.  They could theoretically have traced the family through the bank, but there was no way to prove they had done the damage, so the new owner (our landlord) ate the cost of fixing the place twice.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

o_gal

« Reply #673 on: September 09, 2013, 07:35:38 AM »

Hmmm, is it worth $1.7 million to be able to bring people in and honestly say

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to my underground lair!

8)

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #674 on: September 09, 2013, 11:14:37 AM »

That barbecue looks like something from the Flintstones.
The days are long but the years are short.