Author Topic: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!  (Read 96045 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!
« Reply #675 on: September 09, 2013, 06:38:58 PM »
This house looks pretty neat, and it's a bargain at only $1.7 million.  Of course, the fact that the entire thing is built as a nuclear bunker underground and is a time capsule from the 70s only adds to its charm . . .

I love it! It's so terrible, it's charming.  What the French call jolie-laide, I believe.

I love the fake-boulder barbecue.

That barbecue looks like something from the Flintstones.

Now I want one just like it....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

pinkflamingo

« Reply #676 on: September 17, 2013, 05:25:01 PM »
I am currently living next door to a real estate horror.

It's a foreclosure and while the previous residents didn't trash the place before they left, they didn't make any kind of improvements to the property while they lived there except for building an illegal two car garage. So, when there was an open house in early June, prospective buyers were treated to dated fixtures, cracked walls, loose gutters, a missing downspout, and a roof so badly damaged there's a tarp tacked to a section of it. Although, I'm sure the buyers had a clue of what they were in for when the listed price was about $100,000 less than the going rate for the neighborhood. Two weeks later, we had a huge storm in the area that ripped off the loose gutters, most of the eaves, and a small portion of the roof. About a week after that, raccoons moved in (if they weren't living there before). About a week after *that*, the realtor's sign vanished from the lawn as did anything even remotely related to the bank that owns it.

My neighbors and I are almost hoping the village condemns it so that it will finally get demolished.

magicdomino

« Reply #677 on: September 17, 2013, 06:01:25 PM »
I suspect the house behind me is deteriorating into a housing horror.  It's a foreclosure that's been empty for over a year.  The bank had a possible buyer, but the county refused to let the sale go through because the house was full of zoning and building violations.  In fact, I don't know how the original owner was able to sell it because outbuildings spread almost to the property lines on both sides, despite a required 15 foot setback on each side.  After that, the county property records look like it was passed around several family members, probably depending on who could pay the mortgage. 

For a week, it was listed on a real estate agency's website with photos. Most of the house is a giant family room, one that has been expanded several times -- and I'd be greatly surprised if anyone had ever bothered to pull building permits for anything.  They used to throw some epic parties back there.  The rest of the house is only three bedrooms with one full bath and several half baths.  There is also a swimming pool, and a large gazebo that hasn't been used for much since the original owners built it. There are small trees starting to grow in the swimming pool. 

The county won't let the property be sold unless the violations are corrected; the bank doesn't want to pay for any changes.  The lot is 1.2 acres, big enough for a developer to build two or three houses if they share a driveway, if the bank and county ever figure out who is going to bulldoze the house.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #678 on: September 17, 2013, 06:08:50 PM »
My in-laws home will be a disaster when they actually sell it.

They designed the house themselves in 1981. It is very large, with a giant barn of a living room. All of the common areas have commercial style fluorescent lighting, just bare fixtures. The house has original pale beige carpet that has been through multiple appliance-related floods in the house as well as three kids. They never pulled it up, so I am certain (from the odor) there is mildew in the padding. The house has dual sliding-glass doors opening out to the unfinished back porch. The house has settled, so one set no longer opens. There are 2" gaps under the doors from the two bathrooms on the bedroom wing of the house, and the bottom opening of those doors sit 15" above the ground. The house has original windows and screens, many that no longer open. It has original blinds, many with missing slats. The walls were never painted beyond primer. There are no pictures hanging on any walls in the house. There is broken and cracked tile in each bathroom, the kitchen and the breakfast nook. The trim around doorways, along the base of the walls, and on window sills has never been nailed or glued down. To top it all off, there are 1' pieces of wiring sticking out at every window and exterior door from 1981, just in case they wanted to install an alarm.

I somehow think they are going to have a hard time selling it.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #679 on: September 25, 2013, 12:45:19 AM »
I thought you lot might appreciate this tumblr.

http://terriblerealestateagentphotos.com

;D
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Redwing

« Reply #680 on: September 25, 2013, 09:16:19 AM »

;D

That was great!  Horrifying, but great!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #681 on: September 25, 2013, 11:34:05 AM »
^^^  Gotta' love the photograph by Mr. Skivvies!    ;D

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #682 on: September 25, 2013, 02:50:53 PM »

;D

I'm laughing so hard at these. Thanks for posting!

Cami

« Reply #683 on: September 25, 2013, 03:33:59 PM »

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #684 on: September 25, 2013, 04:13:11 PM »

;D

I'm not only laughing, I'm seriously puzzled at how someone can take a picture looking directly into a mirrored surface, and leave no evidence of their presence.

Surely vampires would not be so bold in revealing their existence?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #685 on: September 25, 2013, 04:15:06 PM »
Seattle has its own regular bad realtor photos site: http://seattle.curbed.com/archives/2013/09/weird-terrible-photos-real-estate-seattle-queen-anne.php#more

These are really funny too, but man, some of those houses are gorgeous! I would love to live in Seattle.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #686 on: September 25, 2013, 04:42:25 PM »

;D

I'm not only laughing, I'm seriously puzzled at how someone can take a picture looking directly into a mirrored surface, and leave no evidence of their presence.

that one got me too. You can't even see a tripod so it's not like timed it and ran out of the shot.

doodlemor

« Reply #687 on: September 25, 2013, 07:38:39 PM »

;D

If you look closely, I think that someone is standing outside and the camera can be seen in the window.

I just loved these!  I laughed harder and harder as I went through the pages.  Thanks for the site - it's in my bookmarks now.

magicdomino

« Reply #688 on: September 26, 2013, 03:56:02 PM »
Reminiscent of the old "It's Lovely, I'll Take It" blog before it started showing only weird furniture.  Which was shortly before the plug was pulled completely.  I enjoyed it.   :)

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #689 on: September 27, 2013, 08:32:51 AM »
They, like so many of the good humor sites, were acquired and then ended by the Cheezburger Network. Alas.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts