Author Topic: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!  (Read 84346 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Re: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!
« Reply #330 on: March 21, 2013, 03:08:15 PM »
But sincewe're talking house hunting horrors: the decor of this next house, followed with the awkward outside appearance is only matched by it's very small cost: http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/6114-Hudson-St-Nw_Covington_GA_30014_M59933-35900

Holy Pantone Book Exploded, Batman!

mmswm

« Reply #331 on: March 21, 2013, 03:23:44 PM »
But sincewe're talking house hunting horrors: the decor of this next house, followed with the awkward outside appearance is only matched by it's very small cost: http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/6114-Hudson-St-Nw_Covington_GA_30014_M59933-35900

Somebody was definitely NOT afraid of color!  Actually, if the bones of that house are good and the area had housing values to justify an additional $20-30K, it looks like a great project house.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #332 on: March 21, 2013, 03:52:39 PM »
Just for fun I decided to see what the most expensive house in my county is right now, here it is: http://www.johnlscott.com/PropertyDetail.aspx?GroupID=282675093&ListingID=301554985&CMID=-1&Sort=0&RTR=30&LI=1.  The master bath in this house is probably bigger than my entire house.

My wife wants to retire and we have been looking at a number of houses in a few different areas.  We take a day and drive to one, then look around at ones we have found on the web.

So far the scariest house we never even got to - trying to drive to it was frightening.  It was on a very steep hill and all of the roads were 1-1.25 of a lane wide.  Many of them were paved right to the edge of the drop off with no safety barriers at all.  One road had a 90-105 degree turn that if you missed it you would fall 20 feet onto the roof of a house.  It had no safety barrier, no sign warning of the turn and no street lighting at all, luckily it was daytime.  Even so, we nearly missed it.  Once we got past it we realized that driving in that neighborhood  had turned us both into nervous wrecks.  So we carefully left and went to a different neighborhood in the same city.

edited to put the actual link in correctly
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:26:31 PM by zyrs »

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #333 on: March 21, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
That link isn't working.

DH and I were just looking at property in the area last night. We came across this house that had seven bedrooms. But, it's only done at the expense of living space. We live in a small apartment and the lounge dining in that house would be about the same.

To get any decent living space you'd have to knock out several walls on the ground floor, and some of them might be load bearing.

That place could make a killing for students though. Just rent each room for $200 a week!

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #334 on: March 21, 2013, 04:25:45 PM »
That link isn't working.

DH and I were just looking at property in the area last night. We came across this house that had seven bedrooms. But, it's only done at the expense of living space. We live in a small apartment and the lounge dining in that house would be about the same.

To get any decent living space you'd have to knock out several walls on the ground floor, and some of them might be load bearing.

That place could make a killing for students though. Just rent each room for $200 a week!

I will change it to a long link and see if that helps

magicdomino

« Reply #335 on: March 21, 2013, 04:28:03 PM »
Sounds like the house next door.  It originally had a huge rec room with fireplace, plus two bedrooms on the lower level.  The owner before the current ones closed off the fireplace and chopped the rec room into three more tiny bedrooms, for a grand total of 8.  He had joint custody of five children, but I'm still not quite sure why there were so many bedrooms.  He also added a master suite addition, which the current owners discovered was done without a permit.

Bethczar

« Reply #336 on: March 21, 2013, 04:28:24 PM »

Personally, I like those colors. That's a crazy exterior, though.

mmswm

« Reply #337 on: March 21, 2013, 05:20:56 PM »
I also caved to curiosity about the most expensive listing in my county.  For the low, low price of 100 million dollars you can have this:

http://www.floridamoves.com/property/details/934587/MLS-A1651046/1116-Ocean-Dr-Miami-Beach-FL-33139.aspx?SearchID=15122424&RowNum=1&StateID=14&RegionID=0&IsRegularPS=True&IsSold=False

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #338 on: March 21, 2013, 05:30:39 PM »
I also caved to curiosity about the most expensive listing in my county.  For the low, low price of 100 million dollars you can have this:

http://www.floridamoves.com/property/details/934587/MLS-A1651046/1116-Ocean-Dr-Miami-Beach-FL-33139.aspx?SearchID=15122424&RowNum=1&StateID=14&RegionID=0&IsRegularPS=True&IsSold=False

That one is a little... weird. It looks like a hotel. A really, really fancy hotel, but still. What is with all those tables and benches??
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #339 on: March 21, 2013, 05:41:22 PM »
I think it actually IS a hotel or B&B.

mmswm

« Reply #340 on: March 21, 2013, 05:44:42 PM »
It's the old Versace mansion, and it is a single family home. 

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #341 on: March 21, 2013, 05:46:04 PM »

That one is a little... weird. It looks like a hotel. A really, really fancy hotel, but still. What is with all those tables and benches??

To sit down after the long walk between kitchen and living room?

Seriously that place is HUGE!

mmswm

« Reply #342 on: March 21, 2013, 05:48:18 PM »
It's the old Versace mansion, and it is a single family home.

Wait.  Maybe it's not.  I see news reports from the time of Versace's murder listing his mansion at 1114 Ocean drive.  Either the property used both addresses or this place is next door.  Nonetheless, it is a single family home, in spite of the dining room capable of hosting large parties and other oddities.

ETA:  More research.  It's the same place.  It's currently used to host events, but it was his home and it's for sale again.  Maybe I should do all my research before I open my mouth.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:51:02 PM by mmswm »

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #343 on: March 21, 2013, 05:51:13 PM »
The page said it could be commercial. Therefore, a hotel or B&B.

And here's that house I was talking about.

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/NSW/Ryde/?adid=2010354379

The pool looks like it came from a cheap hotel.

BTW, is anyone else anode how people don't clean up before photos or inspections? They leave stuff around!

mmswm

« Reply #344 on: March 21, 2013, 06:00:56 PM »
Many of the old, historic mansions on Miami Beach and elsewhere in Miami Dade County have been converted for commercial purposes.  Some, such as Deering Estates and Vizcaya are now part museum, part event locations (upscale parties, weddings, etc), others such as Merrick house are simply museums, and others, like the current state of the Vercace Mansion are commercial.  There are a number of insanely huge and opulent homes on Miami Beach and on the Islands, plus in a few other neighborhoods in the county that are still in use as single family homes.  If I'm reading the listing correctly, it could remain in commercial use, but it is technically zoned as "single family".  Personally, I'd love to see it turned into a public access museum like Vizcaya, since Miami isn't exactly known for preserving its history very well.

Sorry for the hijack!