Author Topic: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!  (Read 96082 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!
« Reply #720 on: October 15, 2013, 09:56:06 AM »

I like the Amish made ones that can be used upright as bookcases until needed for another purpose.

Now I kind of want one. I would love to be buried in my bookcase. No one needs to know.

Me, too, the question is how many books can I fit into the bookcase/casket with me?

I seem to remember a trend a few decades back in which kits were available to build your own coffin/bookcase.  Heck, even now there are CD cabinets that are built to resemble Egtian mummy cases. a friend has one about six-feet tall. 

I certainly wouldn't mind having a nicely carved wooden coffin in the house.  Fitted with a glass top it could make a spectacular coffee table.   

Personally, I wouldn't mind

o_gal

« Reply #721 on: October 15, 2013, 12:12:16 PM »

I like the Amish made ones that can be used upright as bookcases until needed for another purpose.

Now I kind of want one. I would love to be buried in my bookcase. No one needs to know.

Me, too, the question is how many books can I fit into the bookcase/casket with me?

I seem to remember a trend a few decades back in which kits were available to build your own coffin/bookcase.  Heck, even now there are CD cabinets that are built to resemble Egtian mummy cases. a friend has one about six-feet tall. 

I certainly wouldn't mind having a nicely carved wooden coffin in the house.  Fitted with a glass top it could make a spectacular coffee table.   

Personally, I wouldn't mind

Coffee table maybe, but maybe not the dining room table: http://voices.yahoo.com/what-happened-eva-evita-perons-body-416352.html?cat=49

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #722 on: October 15, 2013, 12:14:30 PM »
I think I need to start a thread with what you want to take with you when you go. I would definitely take Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Jocelyn

« Reply #723 on: October 15, 2013, 09:52:38 PM »
I think I need to start a thread with what you want to take with you when you go. I would definitely take Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.
My Kindle. If I had everything on it that I've bought over the years, it would have 0 memory left. And it will take an eternity for me to finish all those books. ;)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #724 on: October 16, 2013, 12:08:50 PM »
What do you do with the books when you need the coffin?
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #725 on: October 16, 2013, 01:34:17 PM »
Have an estate sale?  >:D

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #726 on: October 17, 2013, 04:45:41 AM »
Take them with you, of course. You will have plenty of time for reading and (dirt) napping.

EclecticLaydee

« Reply #727 on: October 17, 2013, 04:04:49 PM »
This gem has some unfortunate wording... It's very obviously fire-damaged and the description says "includes natural fire-lit living room". Yikes.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/545-W-Marengo-Ave-Flint-MI-48505/73962439_zpid/

(I live in a suburb of Flint, Michigan.)

sevenday

« Reply #728 on: October 17, 2013, 04:24:15 PM »
Is that a rental, or is it actually for sale for $250?!

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #729 on: October 17, 2013, 04:41:08 PM »
Considering the condition and the depressed economy in the area, it probably is a sale price.

I live in Pontiac, MI, and 3 years ago when I was shopping for a house, we saw several listings in the 2000 - 5000 range.  And those ones weren't half-burnt.

My house is in great shape, but the market was so depressed I scored a major bargain.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

EclecticLaydee

« Reply #730 on: October 17, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »
I don't know. I'm guessing it's for sale and the owner just wants it to be someone else's problem.

The housing market is horrible in Flint. There are so many abandoned and burned out homes. If you don't mind a bad neighborhood, you can have your choice between lots of cute little homes for under $10k, free and clear.

And it's possible to buy damaged homes, including the property they're on, from the land bank for $1. You just have to fix them up. It's crazy.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #731 on: October 17, 2013, 09:06:17 PM »
In the case of this burnt out one, you'd be better off to just  pay the $250 for the land and you could build another little (maybe expandable?) house on the lot for less than what it would cost to 'fix' this one.

Minmom3

« Reply #732 on: October 17, 2013, 10:26:41 PM »
Safer, too!  Who knows what damage that fire did to wires, etc.?!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #733 on: October 17, 2013, 10:57:45 PM »
In the case of this burnt out one, you'd be better off to just  pay the $250 for the land and you could build another little (maybe expandable?) house on the lot for less than what it would cost to 'fix' this one.

When our son was home shopping, they did look at many homes just for the property, taking into account the value of salvage and the cost of demolition. I think we've got a winner-loser here!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:39:08 PM by Luci45 »

EclecticLaydee

« Reply #734 on: October 17, 2013, 11:12:31 PM »
Safer, too!  Who knows what damage that fire did to wires, etc.?!

It's pretty likely the wires and plumbing pipes are gone anyway. We have issues with those materials being stolen from occupied homes and businesses and sold for scrap. Abandoned building don't stand a chance.