News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 29, 2016, 09:01:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!  (Read 171658 times)

MrTango

Re: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!
« Reply #735 on: October 18, 2013, 10:43:04 AM »
In the case of this burnt out one, you'd be better off to just  pay the $250 for the land and you could build another little (maybe expandable?) house on the lot for less than what it would cost to 'fix' this one.

That's probably what'll happen if it sells.  The seller won't just be getting $250 for the house, though.  They'll also be relieved of having to pay the property taxes, which is likely the bigger benefit to unloading the property.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #736 on: February 23, 2016, 08:16:10 AM »
We're actively house hunting and have come across a few interesting houses.

This house is near the university and has holes in the walls and floors, some of the doors seem to be off their frames. http://www.movoto.com/orlando-fl/3110-tcu-blvd-orlando-fl-32817/pid_4gbnhu68ah/?responsive=2

We did a few walk-throughs and found a very nice house, 1600 sq ft, with three bedrooms. Problem? Two of the bedrooms were 10x9', which is too small to accommodate a queen sized bed and a dresser, much less anything else. The other odd thing about the house is that the "dining area" was in the main corridor of the house.

I found a lovely 1925 house on an acre in the metro area, but it had been empty since 2011 and vandals had broken in repeatedly. All of the HVAC components were missing and the entire house would have to be rewired before it could be lived in. The guest house had unfinished walls.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #737 on: February 23, 2016, 11:43:52 AM »
When I was considering buying a house I went into one that had not been cleaning in a good long time.  It looked like something out of a before commercial for Mighty Maids or something.  Underwear on the floor, dirty diapers on the counter in the bathroom, the master bedroom had the bed with out even sheets, and the kid's room were a disaster. basement looked like something out of hoarders and the garage had filled and open garbage cans in it.  The real estate agent was so embarrassed and could not apologize enough, but I wouldn't go look at anymore houses that day.

You probably could have gotten it for a steal, and included in the offer that the house to be completely empty before closing. 

The house my parents still lived in was pretty bad when we first looked at it.  Not quite that bad as your example, but then they didn't have a baby.  It was 30% bigger than every other house in their budget because it was a steal and in an excellent neighborhood.  I remember my dad had to carry me back from the middle of the backyard because I'd run into it and my sandals filled with burrs.  Their trash left with them.   Just one deep clean and standard care made the house pretty nice.   Regular watering and mowing of the lawn turned it really nice because the grass that was there and dormant because of the weeds thrived.  Nice plants just appeared like some rose bushes the next year and a fig tree about 10 years later.  Since they hadn't done much to the house, there also wasn't any unfortunate remodels to undo.  Eventually the interior was painted and the carpets replaced. 

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #738 on: February 23, 2016, 11:48:33 AM »
When Mr. Sirius and I were looking at houses back in 2012 we looked at the one next door to the house we eventually bought where someone had put a bathroom into a closet.  A full-sized person could barely fit in that bathroom.  I'm queen-sized, so I couldn't even turn around once I was inside.  Mr. Sirius isn't terribly large, and even he had problems fitting.  There was also a lot of brickwork in the back yard that we had neither the talent nor the inclination to deal with.

We got lucky.  We were leaving the house with the tiny bathroom, and saw that a sign was being put up in front of the house next door that it was for sale.  Our Realtor got the door code and we took a tour, and it was just what we wanted at a good price.  The house with the tiny bathroom is currently being rented by a family with kids in the 10-12 years age range, and the man is a landscaper and has done wonders with the brickwork and the back garden. 

mumma to KMC

« Reply #739 on: February 23, 2016, 03:16:01 PM »
When Mr. Sirius and I were looking at houses back in 2012 we looked at the one next door to the house we eventually bought where someone had put a bathroom into a closet.  A full-sized person could barely fit in that bathroom.  I'm queen-sized, so I couldn't even turn around once I was inside.  Mr. Sirius isn't terribly large, and even he had problems fitting.  There was also a lot of brickwork in the back yard that we had neither the talent nor the inclination to deal with.

My fil does home improvements and he was asked by a client to put a shower in a closet. The closet is right off the living room, as in you shower in the living room. It seemed quirky at the time but now that I'm older and have owned two houses, I'm wondering "what the heck!"

mumma to KMC

« Reply #740 on: February 23, 2016, 03:25:49 PM »
We are currently in the process of relocating, so most of our house hunting is me at the laptop going "what the heck!?". Black wallpaper in the dining room? Carpet in the kitchen? And (as mentioned up thread) collectibles.

We did find a place we liked from the pictures, the price, and the amount of land that the house was on. As we are out of state and aren't able to go look, we asked my bil to take a look at it and he graciously did. He gave us the name of an agent he used and she got things set up for a showing. In the mean time, we did some research on our end, because this house was everything we wanted (as far as we could tell.)

As I was looking at it on Earth View, I saw that a river known for flooding often wasn't too far away, so I looked to see if it needed flood insurance. It did. It's in a major high risk area and would cost $12k a year. Wow. What? Husband calls the agent, agent calls the selling agent, selling agent calls seller to see if there's an elevation certificate on the house, seller has no clue, but he'd look for one. No one heard back from him.

This house has been on the market for over a year now, so it's either the flood insurance that keeps people from buying it or they owe a lot more one it than what it's worth. If it's the flood insurance issue, you'd think that the seller would be all over showing the elevation certificate.

It's been a few weeks since we found out about the cost and I still shake my head and laugh at $12k.

audhs

« Reply #741 on: February 23, 2016, 03:54:18 PM »
When we were looking at houses one we looked at was completely empty and looked well kept up the carpets were very obviously recently cleaned. BUT. It reeked of dog, wet dog. It was over powering, and triggered my allergies. I'm pretty sure tha only way to fix it would be to rip out all the carpets, because they looked perfectly clean but what a smell.

Then there was the place that was a rental property, and the renters fairly obviously didn't care how fast it sold because it was a pigsty and about a 1/4 of the light bulbs were burnt out.

Bert

« Reply #742 on: February 23, 2016, 04:50:57 PM »
^Kind of a funny story.  My fiance snapped a picture of the front of a house we were looking at.  We liked to take pictures because it helped us remember details, as we were looking at so many places.  When we were reviewing pictures at the end of the day, I realized I had walked into the middle of one of them.  It was a house so obviously filled with pet mess that I actually felt bad for the neighbors.  The look of disgust on my face in that photo is still a source of amusement for us, even now, months later.

I feel bad for the real estate agents who show some of these houses.  They have to act nice, and focus on the positives, and try to do their job, while at the same time being just as grossed out as we are at some of these conditions.

I found myself pretty consistantly amazed that the owners of the homes that were so awful wouldn't find a way to at least get rid of obvious garbage and waste.  I'm not saying that all homes for sale should be spotless, but the number of homes that I looked at where spending a few hundred dollars with a cleaning company would have made such a huge difference was astounding to me.   I never really let it bother me, but if someone is trying to sell a house for hundreds of thousands of dollars, do they want potential buyers' first thought once through the front door to be "yuck!"?   

doodlemor

« Reply #743 on: February 24, 2016, 12:30:49 AM »
^Kind of a funny story.  My fiance snapped a picture of the front of a house we were looking at.  We liked to take pictures because it helped us remember details, as we were looking at so many places.  When we were reviewing pictures at the end of the day, I realized I had walked into the middle of one of them.  It was a house so obviously filled with pet mess that I actually felt bad for the neighbors.  The look of disgust on my face in that photo is still a source of amusement for us, even now, months later.

I feel bad for the real estate agents who show some of these houses.  They have to act nice, and focus on the positives, and try to do their job, while at the same time being just as grossed out as we are at some of these conditions.

I found myself pretty consistantly amazed that the owners of the homes that were so awful wouldn't find a way to at least get rid of obvious garbage and waste.  I'm not saying that all homes for sale should be spotless, but the number of homes that I looked at where spending a few hundred dollars with a cleaning company would have made such a huge difference was astounding to me.   I never really let it bother me, but if someone is trying to sell a house for hundreds of thousands of dollars, do they want potential buyers' first thought once through the front door to be "yuck!"?

I love this website, the pictures therein, and the captions.  I wonder what some of the real estate agents say about these places:

http://terriblerealestateagentphotos.com/

camlan

« Reply #744 on: February 24, 2016, 06:14:43 AM »

My fil does home improvements and he was asked by a client to put a shower in a closet. The closet is right off the living room, as in you shower in the living room. It seemed quirky at the time but now that I'm older and have owned two houses, I'm wondering "what the heck!"

Friends of mine bought a lovely old Victorian house, with a toilet in the dining room. A real, functioning toilet.

The story behind it was that the previous family had an elderly family member who could not go up and down stairs, so they turned the dining room into a bedroom for her. But getting to the bathroom on the ground floor was difficult for her at night, so instead of getting some sort of potty chair, they went down into the cellar, examined the plumbing and realized they could fairly easily add a toilet to the room. So they did.

That house was on the market for quite a while. You'd think, once the elderly woman was in a nursing home and the family decided to sell the house, that they'd, you know, remove the toilet. But they didn't, for whatever reason, and the house took over two years to sell.

Imagine the conversations between the agent and the family. "You know, you might get more interest in the house if you took the dining room toilet out." "Oh, no. This way we can advertise it as a two and a half bathroom house." I mean, what were they thinking?
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

siamesecat2965

« Reply #745 on: February 24, 2016, 07:15:12 AM »
When we were looking at houses one we looked at was completely empty and looked well kept up the carpets were very obviously recently cleaned. BUT. It reeked of dog, wet dog. It was over powering, and triggered my allergies. I'm pretty sure tha only way to fix it would be to rip out all the carpets, because they looked perfectly clean but what a smell.

Then there was the place that was a rental property, and the renters fairly obviously didn't care how fast it sold because it was a pigsty and about a 1/4 of the light bulbs were burnt out.

I have a family member who is planning on putting her home on the market in the next couple of weeks, or so I've been told. BG: she owns a townhouse, as does her less-than-a-year husband. She just retired from the military; he will be next year. The plan is to sell her house now, move and live in his, while they build their retirement home in another state. then sell his, and move there. All of this has to be done now, beacuse she gets one move with the military, but has to be done within a year.

She has cats. Four. and has fostered a whole bunch over the last few years, sometimes having as many as 8 or 9. She used to not allow them in her two guest bedrooms, but she changed one into a closet, so the cats then went into the other. Which reeks of cat. not pee or litterbox, but just cat funk. kind of like dog smell.

She also borders on being a hoarder. Her brother, who has much more common sense than she does, suggested she/they a. move everything out of both houses, down to where they plan to live, and put it in storage. Then rip up all the carpet, and put down new, and have someone come in and give the house a thoroough cleaning from top to bottom, before she even lists is. And then hire someone to stage it. yes it will cost her, but in the end, probably worth it.

But she's cheap, and doesn't see the need. Carpet? she'll give them an allowance. and as for cleaning, well, she can do that. Sigh. I suspect she will be in for a very rude awakening, esp since she seems to think she can get top dollar. um no, never been updated, renovated, etc. while its a nice place, its a bit tired, and dirty. 

we also don't see how she can do all this and list in the next 10 days. But, not my circus, not my monkeys.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #746 on: February 24, 2016, 08:25:51 AM »
Depends on how hot the market is.

I'd been intending to paint my place, steam clean the carpets and give it a thorough cleaning before putting it on the market.  My agent called me and told me to just get the place tidied, cleaned up a bit and staged; it needed to go on the market now now now.

So that's what I did.  Patched spots on the wall, stains in the carpet, not as clean as I would have liked it to be and sold for just over asking in less than 12 hours.  And the asking was the highest price my model has sold for in my neighbourhood thus far.

Now, we did do the staging work and got a lot of clutter out of the place.  All the closets were full of boxes, mind you.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

« Reply #747 on: February 24, 2016, 08:59:24 AM »
Depends on how hot the market is.

I'd been intending to paint my place, steam clean the carpets and give it a thorough cleaning before putting it on the market.  My agent called me and told me to just get the place tidied, cleaned up a bit and staged; it needed to go on the market now now now.

So that's what I did.  Patched spots on the wall, stains in the carpet, not as clean as I would have liked it to be and sold for just over asking in less than 12 hours.  And the asking was the highest price my model has sold for in my neighbourhood thus far.

Now, we did do the staging work and got a lot of clutter out of the place.  All the closets were full of boxes, mind you.

There are tons of similar homes in the area on the market, so she really does need to do soemthing to it. if nthing else, rid it of the clutter! she really has a lot of stuff. i found a couple other similar units in her development for sale, and it was amazing how much more spacious they looked, since they weren't crammed with furniture, books, and all sorts of other carp.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #748 on: February 24, 2016, 09:07:54 AM »
Staging is really more important than cleaning, I've discovered during this process.  If they can see the bones of the place, they really don't care about the paint and the cleanliness because they are going to do that themselves before they move in, for the most part.

Now, if the place smells like dog or cat or human, then yes, you are going to have a problem selling.

Though my garage has a strong dog smell because it acts as the world's largest dog crate.  But washing their bedding and them?  Cleared most of it right up.  And I'll scrub the floor well for the new owners when we leave.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #749 on: February 24, 2016, 09:10:06 AM »
I have not driven to see this one, but it's a strange house.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3211785916-20401-Quinella-St-Orlando-FL-32833

Houses on stilts are not common in Central Florida. There are only a few on the coast. This house has 6 bedrooms, comes with a barn, and has an indoor pool, which is also very uncommon for Florida.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien