Author Topic: Parents who are Computer Illiterate  (Read 12403 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Parents who are Computer Illiterate
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2013, 12:59:54 AM »
Learned helplessness is, IMHO, largely the fault of our media.  After all, the media has told us that we can't do the simplest of things like put the dog in the car to go to the vet or boil water for pasta or cut with scissors -- it's tooooooo haaaaaaaaaaaard! 

Erm.  ???  As a member of the media, who's used to being blamed for everything under the sun, I'm wondering where this one came from. I can only assume you that things I've done have been more along the lines of "you can learn this!" than "it's toooooo haaaaaaard!"

Sigh.

OP, how is your MIL healthwise? The first thing I thought of when I read it was that she's starting to slip a bit mentally, and rather than admit it even a little, she's "hmmm"ing and stalling.

I think she meant "media" in general.  Don't take it personally

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2013, 03:05:56 AM »
Learned helplessness is, IMHO, largely the fault of our media.  After all, the media has told us that we can't do the simplest of things like put the dog in the car to go to the vet or boil water for pasta or cut with scissors -- it's tooooooo haaaaaaaaaaaard! 

Erm.  ???  As a member of the media, who's used to being blamed for everything under the sun, I'm wondering where this one came from. I can only assume you that things I've done have been more along the lines of "you can learn this!" than "it's toooooo haaaaaaard!"

Sigh.

OP, how is your MIL healthwise? The first thing I thought of when I read it was that she's starting to slip a bit mentally, and rather than admit it even a little, she's "hmmm"ing and stalling.

I think she meant "media" in general.  Don't take it personally

Could also have been a reference to those irritating informercials where everyday tasks become herculean efforts unless you buy their nifty new gadget.

Foul language ahoy, but this is what I'm talking about:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/9-simple-tasks-that-no-one-in-commercial-can-do-right/

It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2013, 06:24:09 PM »
If I were you, I would find the best, local tech pros that do housecalls.  Since she only uses the internet to amuse herself, it's not a true emergency.  When she calls, just tell her to call the "Computer Guys" in the morning, or first thing Monday morning. 

I'm guessing that she can afford to pay for services by your description.  Yes, it's a waste of money to have them come out to find out she's using the mouse upside down, but you're more invested in her problem than she is; time to turn that upside down.

Need to Change

« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2013, 08:34:12 PM »
Based on your update, OP, I suspect the tech is not the big issue -- it's tech plus sudden motherhood plus lifelong social insecurity and/or avoidance.  Triple brain-freeze, anyone?

All of the advice you've been given on the tech aspect is great.  If she is at all motivated, she may eventually work her way past constant confusion. 

But maybe the missing piece is for mother and son to find another way to relate.  Could there be a mutual interest or activity or topic of conversation that they both enjoy?   I say this knowing it could be a mountain-high challenge to find such a thing.

Conversely, MIL may come around if she can be assured that there are no big expectations on her son's end, just acceptance of the past and, hopefully with time, enjoyment of a present and future at a level of closeness that works for all of you.