Author Topic: S/O Sharing dessert - Food Dictators  (Read 30084 times)

doodlemor

Re: S/O Sharing dessert - Food Dictators
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2013, 03:26:41 PM »

I do not like eggs. Ever since I was very young, I have not eaten them. I don't like the taste or the texture. My family always gave me a hard time about this because they are all egg eaters. If they were eating eggs, I would eat a bowl of cereal. I heard about how weird I was for not liking eggs. I was pressured incessantly about eating eggs. I have tried eggs on numerous occasions, and the result is the same: I don't like them. The pressure about eggs was applied even after I was on my own. I'd still hear about it when I visited. "Don't you want some eggs?" "Everyone else likes eggs." "You should at least try the eggs." "If you don't eat the eggs, you'll hurt my feelings."

When I was well into my 20s, my mother told me that she'd known I didn't like eggs from the time I was a baby. Apparently, the pediatrician told her to feed me jarred egg yolks. I think it was for extra protein. She did that, and I just spit them out. I would not eat the eggs. When she told me this, I said, "So you've known for my entire life that I don't like eggs, and yet you continue to pressure me anyway about eating them." "Well, yes," she said. "If you would eat them, eventually, you would grow to like them."  ::)

At some point in the past I read an article with the premise that sometimes people with food aversions have an allergy to the food that they dislike. Do you ever have problems/symptoms after eating foods with a high egg content, like custard, Coley?

[edited because I can't spell]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:56:50 PM by doodlemor »

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2013, 03:29:19 PM »
Weeble, the problem is, that's how the scientific community [whatever term applies here best] as a whole reacts to foods.

I could list a ton of examples of how things have been good for you, then bad for you, then good for you, then......

Remember when we were taught to never, ever, ever eat butter!  It's horrible for you!  You should only eat margarine, because it's much healthier!  Then, in the not so distant past, that thinking turned completely around.  We are to not use margarine, but use only butter!  (Actually, the thought is more of using other oils and fats, but butter is preferred over margarine, at least.)

So I'm also sympathetic to DH's relative!  He's probably just as confused about what's healthy or not as the rest of us by this point! :D

Editing, because it appears that the "scientific community" words are being focused on more than the point I'm trying to make!  It doesn't matter what term you use!  My point is that one week something's good for you, the next it's bad for you, etc.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 04:49:56 PM by DottyG »

weeblewobble

« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2013, 03:42:19 PM »
Weeble, the problem is, that's how the scientific community as a whole reacts to foods.

I could list a ton of examples of how things have been good for you, then bad for you, then good for you, then......

Remember when we were taught to never, ever, ever eat butter!  It's horrible for you!  You should only eat margarine, because it's much healthier!  Then, in the not so distant past, that thinking turned completely around.  We are to not use margarine, but use only butter!  (Actually, the thought is more of using other oils and fats, but butter is preferred over margarine, at least.)

So I'm also sympathetic to DH's relative!  He's probably just as confused about what's healthy or not as the rest of us by this point! :D

Alternate suggestion: he could just eat a balanced diet with a lot of different kinds of fruits/veggies and not depend on one thing that's going to help live forever? :)

doodlemor

« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2013, 03:42:37 PM »
Weeble, the problem is, that's how the scientific community as a whole reacts to foods.

And eggs were the epitome of evil.  I remember all of this too, Dotty.

My view is to eat as naturally as possible, but not to be a zealot about it.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »
Weeble, oh I agree with you!  I'm just saying that it's frustrating to be told so many conflicting things all the time!

I dealt with that when I was trying to find out why I was getting kidney stones.  One source told me to ALWAYS eat such-and-such, because it keeps stones away.....another site said NEVER eat it.  It was so infuriating!

mmswm

« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2013, 03:47:30 PM »

Well, not really.  The problem is the scientific community says something like "there's a tiny study that might show evidence that eating ping pong balls will extend your life by 50 years.  More research needs to be done."  The mainstream media starts blowing it out of proportion and the next thing we know the headlines are screaming "Eat Ping Pong Balls and Live Forever!!!!".  The mainstream scientists then start pulling their hair out trying to get the ping pong ball evidence back into the proper context.  They do more studies and, as it turns out, there was some un-accounted for variable in the lives on the test subjects and that's what caused the lifetime extension, not the fact that these people were eating ping pong balls.  Now the media has to retract what they said originally, or tone it down.

Of course, it has been the case that mainstream science has firmly believed something for years (eggs being the notable item), only to have further studies prove it wrong, but those instances are fewer and farther between than the headline grabbing media that latches onto every single small study out there.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2013, 03:52:39 PM »
I first started noticing the "healthy food of the week" crazes as a kid, when it was oat bran. Oat bran, oat bran, oat bran. I got so sick of even hearing about it that it kind of burned skepticism into my leetle brain out of sheer annoyance.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2013, 03:53:02 PM »
I used "scientific community" because I wasn't sure what term I wanted to use - there were several I was opting for.  I settled on that one.  Whatever group you want to attribute the shifts to, go ahead and do so.  The confusion (and my point) is the same.

Coley

« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2013, 04:26:01 PM »

I do not like eggs. Ever since I was very young, I have not eaten them. I don't like the taste or the texture. My family always gave me a hard time about this because they are all egg eaters. If they were eating eggs, I would eat a bowl of cereal. I heard about how weird I was for not liking eggs. I was pressured incessantly about eating eggs. I have tried eggs on numerous occasions, and the result is the same: I don't like them. The pressure about eggs was applied even after I was on my own. I'd still hear about it when I visited. "Don't you want some eggs?" "Everyone else likes eggs." "You should at least try the eggs." "If you don't eat the eggs, you'll hurt my feelings."

When I was well into my 20s, my mother told me that she'd known I didn't like eggs from the time I was a baby. Apparently, the pediatrician told her to feed me jarred egg yolks. I think it was for extra protein. She did that, and I just spit them out. I would not eat the eggs. When she told me this, I said, "So you've known for my entire life that I don't like eggs, and yet you continue to pressure me anyway about eating them." "Well, yes," she said. "If you would eat them, eventually, you would grow to like them."  ::)

At some point in the past I read an article with the premise that sometimes people with food adversions have an allergy to the food that they dislike. Do you ever have problems/symptoms after eating foods with a high egg content, like custard, Coley?

This is an interesting question. I also don't like custard. Maybe there's a correlation?!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2013, 04:32:37 PM »

It's not tne true scientific community that does this.

It's the pseudo-scientific MARKETING community that does this. People with something to sell (even if it's their own expertise or ego).

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2013, 04:48:11 PM »
I already explained that I made a mistake.  But, again, I realize now that I used the wrong term for what I was attempting to say.  I picked one out of the several that I was considering.  I picked wrong!  My point is the same, though!

I've now edited my post to (hopefully, better) reflect the point I'm trying to make:  that one week something's good for you, the next it's bad for you, etc.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 04:52:57 PM by DottyG »

doodlemor

« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2013, 09:55:16 PM »

At some point in the past I read an article with the premise that sometimes people with food aversions have an allergy to the food that they dislike. Do you ever have problems/symptoms after eating foods with a high egg content, like custard, Coley?

This is an interesting question. I also don't like custard. Maybe there's a correlation?!

That is interesting.  Are there other eggy things that you dislike?

I remembered the article because I'm very allergic to eggs, and greatly disliked eating the yolks as a child.

In the last few years I've read some really interesting stuff about cells that aren't brain cells influencing thoughts in the brain, and even an article about some diseases influencing people's thoughts.  I think that there is a lot to be learned yet about how our bodies work. 

End of threadjack.

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2013, 02:19:07 AM »
One day I was visiting my brother and I got a cup of tea. I asked if he had an artificial sweetner. Cue speech about the evil of those things and how I didn't need them with my (slim) figure anyways. I told him that my choice was not up for debate.
After the tea I wanted so ething cool to drink, and brother told me to check the fridge for what I want. In the fridge, three bottles of diet coke stared back at me.

"but I prefer that taste!"

Sigh... ::)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2013, 06:47:02 AM »
There will always be someone determined to tell you that anything you prefer is bad for you.

wyliefool

« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2013, 09:11:06 AM »
Weeble, the problem is, that's how the scientific community [whatever term applies here best] as a whole reacts to foods.

Editing, because it appears that the "scientific community" words are being focused on more than the point I'm trying to make!  It doesn't matter what term you use!  My point is that one week something's good for you, the next it's bad for you, etc.

And now antioxidants actually cause cancer instead of preventing it!

I stopped listening to 'nutrition' 'news' years and years ago. I don't know how much of the problem is because the science is badly done--they do tend to make sweeping generalizations from very small samples, as well as making stupid (imo) assumptions--and how much is due to bad reporting, but I'm just no longer willing to listen.