Author Topic: Taking up two seats on the subway  (Read 5589 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Taking up two seats on the subway
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2013, 11:23:07 AM »

I guess it depends on whether you prioritize your own comfort or the efficiency of the space being used.  Since you can't control the efficiency aspect without involving other passengers, it makes more sense to focus on your own comfort.  If you know that there's a chance you're going to have to stand, prepare for that.

I prioritize both! That's why I think the larger person should stand to allow two "normal" sized people to sit.

If a person is large enough to take up two seats, would it really help to have them stand in the aisle where they're potentially making it more difficult for people to get on and off the train because of the space they take up? Mightn't it be safer for them to sit?

My personal take is that the person who is large enough to need two seats would probably be the most uncomfortable standing. So I will stand instead of them, bcs I'm not as uncomfortable

Bright

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2013, 01:21:59 PM »
Some people are overweight because of other health issues which means that they aren't able to exercise, stand for long periods or otherwise lose that weight. So indeed they may need to have a seat, not because they are lazy and overweight (those two are so often tied together) but because they have some sort of underlying health condition or invisible disability).

It's similar to some of the worst cases when strangers look at someone who is overweight and in a wheelchair (or using a mobility scooter) and assume they are in that wheelchair because they are overweight.

I'm overweight due to health conditions. On my good days I'll stand up and give up my seat on the bus if someone needs it. It is often awkward having people pushing past me though and a squeeze if someone is the same size as me. My balance is not always great and if I fall on someone, when the bus jolts, I'm going to injure them more than if someone who has less weight will. My mother was actually injured when a large woman fell on her and had to visit the doctor and a physio because of those injuries.

I am extremely embarassed about my weight. Being overweight feels as if it is a judgement on my moral character. I have a huge amount of guilt over my weight.  I do everything I can to ensure that I am not a burden to those I sit next to, so generally I'll be the one squishing myself up against a window, or perched on the end of the seat so I don't enroach in their space.

So in regards to the original post. She may have had health issues requiring her to stretch out her legs. She may just have been rude. In that situation I would have immediately moved or stood up though. I'm not sure if I'd have put my items on the chair since you just asked her to move her things and it would seem rude as if you thought your items were more important than hers. I'd have just put it down to being one of those public transport things and left it.

Girly

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2013, 09:21:43 AM »
Seating on public transportation is first come, first serve—you pay for a space on the bus, not necessarily seating. (And if you're on the Green line in Boston, you're not even guaranteed enough space to breathe :P) IMO if a person is taking up two seats, that's totally fine because they were there first, unless of course they are taking up high priority seating if they don't meet the standards for it. (But really, I'm not going to be asking for credentials since it's none of my business.) Anyways, someone who takes up two spots sitting is going to take up two spots standing more or less, so it's not like it really makes a huge difference!

I agree with this completely.

Also, while I think someone is rude for not moving belongings off a seat when asked, I also think if they decline when asked there is NO WAY you should be 'making a move' to move their belongings for them.