Author Topic: Cat Grooming Help  (Read 1589 times)

snowfire

Re: Cat Grooming Help
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 01:32:07 AM »
DH and I tag team the kitties for toenails.  It involves a towel and full purrito.  Then a can of gooshy food to get them to forgive us.

With Mom's late kitty Rolex we could do toenails with a purrito. Small mats involved two people, a comb and a nifty set of bandage scissors that I got at the medical supply store.  Nice sharp blades but blunt points.  Anything else required a trip to the groomer, a muzzle and three people.  He DID NOT LIKE being combed. 

The easiest time we had with toenails on one of our late kitties, Deanna, involved three people.  DH held her wrapped in a towel, I trimmed toenails, and a friend fed her beef jerky which was her all time favorite treat.  It was hysterical watching her trying to decide whether to growl & hiss or eat the jerky.  ;D

Our little himmy lady Jubilee, we never could comb out.  She was totally freaked over the idea.  We finally started getting her a lion cut in the spring and she was fluffy again by winter.  Once she got used to the idea she loved it.  She got so much attention with a teeny cat body with floofy face, boots and tail, that she pranced all around the house showing off.

oogyda

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2013, 06:31:25 AM »
The "office cat" at my last job could be nasty. She'd be perfectly fine, doing the bump and rub for some attention, enjoying being petted,etc. Then she'd attack your arm/hand. One of the issues was that her nails were incredibly sharp so we decided trimming them would help. The boss stood by with a towel, but I thought I'd try it with her unrestrained first.  Amazingly, she was completely at ease and didn't object at all.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2013, 07:03:24 AM »
We pinned my late Mika down by holding her scruff and pinning the rest of her down with our arms... well, mom did that part, and I would coo and talk to her while I clipped her nails. Then I would beg for forgiveness by giving her treatsies.

amylouky

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2013, 01:21:31 PM »
Um. I had a cat that I used to have to stuff down into a sweatshirt sleeve and pull out a paw to clip claws. Sounds more horrible than it is, and saved me quite a bit of scarring and blood loss.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2013, 01:38:51 PM »
These are all great suggestions for cats who are phobic about having their claws trimmed.  My MIL's cat is like that, too, and I could not trim his claws.

IMHO, the best approach is to desensitize the cat to having their feet touched.  When you are cuddling with the cat and they are calm, just touch one paw, then go back to petting where they like it best.  Do this casually and touch all 4 paws in a 5 minute cuddle-fest.  If you want to progress quickly, do this a couple times a day.  You have to do it at least daily to make progress.  Work up to holding each paw, then holding the paw and squeezing gently to extend the claw.  I enjoy playing footsies/pawsies with my cat where I press my toe (or finger) into the middle pad and let the cat extend their claws around your toe/finger.  This is a good exercise for their paws, too.

When I trim claws, I first make sure that I am calm and steady.  I get the steptic powder handy and the post-trim treats (hairball remedy & Greenies).  I sit with the cat in my lap, also sitting.  Cuddle a bit first, then I start with the back paws.  Better to clip long and often than quick 'em and get blood all over.  If you are still getting your cat desensitized to paw contact, just do one paw.  In fact, it's better to do just one claw calmly, then reward the cat with release and treats than get into a struggle.

I explained this all to my MIL.  She likes having a cat because her cat is very independent.  They are like a couple of senior citizens cohabitating without communicating very much except at meals.  My MIL said she would rather pay to have the vet trim Keoni's claws than do the work of desensitizing.

I didn't think playing with my kitties claws was *work.*   :-\
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2013, 04:45:37 PM »
The "office cat" at my last job could be nasty. She'd be perfectly fine, doing the bump and rub for some attention, enjoying being petted,etc. Then she'd attack your arm/hand. One of the issues was that her nails were incredibly sharp so we decided trimming them would help. The boss stood by with a towel, but I thought I'd try it with her unrestrained first.  Amazingly, she was completely at ease and didn't object at all.

One of my cats is like that. We pet her and she bites us. We walk past her and she slashes at us. She does have affection fits on a fairly regular basis, but mostly she's pretty cantankerous. I was in a state of dread when a while back, she had to be put on daily medication. As it turns out, she's the easiest cat in the world to pill: no biting or slashing or anything! Pilling her is much easier than petting her.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 04:56:41 PM »
bansidhe- I've seen your pet pics in another thread.  :)

Do you think when cats are skittish about being touched that maybe someone in their past mistreated them?  Or is it just the way some cats are?

My cat hates to be picked up, but petting is okay.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 05:43:17 PM »
Update

Got the slicker brush and it definitely is getting down to her skin.  There is a lot of dead skin and hair being pulled out.  She also tolerates it better than the wire brush as well.  She had a gnarly tangle on her belly and she rolled right over and let me at it until it was all out.

The other two got jealous so I had to spend 10 min or so grooming them too ::)   You know, just to make sure the brush worked correctly