Author Topic: A very random question about men and their, um, "headlights"~!  (Read 2990 times)

Luxie

A very random question about men and their, um, "headlights"~!
« on: February 23, 2013, 12:16:53 PM »
I realize this is very random. But I have a question... actually, Boyfriend has a question, and it led to a debate between us, and I decided to see what EHell had to say!

I was perusing the EHell archives the other day and found an interesting debate on womens' "headlights," aka nipples (will the filter let that through?) and whether they were appropriate if showing, especially in the workplace.

Without necessarily opening that particular debate again, what I/ we would like to know is, what about mens' nipples showing through clothing? Inappropriate or rude?

Boyfriend is a weight lifter and has a very defined physique. Even "normal" sized clothing fits him pretty close to the body. If his shirt is even slightly snug his nipples will often show through. It's not ridiculous but they can be seen.

He's a teacher (college). Inappropriate? Normal? We'd love opinions!

ETA: Edited to add that this question came up because Boyfriend overheard some students making fun of a male teacher whose nipples showed through his shirt, and that caused him to realize he often has the same problem.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 12:24:00 PM by Bea »

sparksals

• Super Hero!
Re: A very random question about men and their, um, "headlights"~!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 12:22:24 PM »
It is something neither gender can help.  It is a natural body 'function' just like many others.  So no, not rude or inappropriate.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 12:26:35 PM »
It is something neither gender can help.  It is a natural body 'function' just like many others.  So no, not rude or inappropriate.

I agree. It's no secret we have nipples and sometimes it's impossible to hide them. I do think it's best that we don't draw attention to it though. If you notice someone's nipples showing through, don't ask them it they're cold.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 12:39:12 PM »
I do find it does look more professional for a lot of men if they wear an undershirt under their dress shirt: you're less likely to notice anything distracting.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 12:42:04 PM »
I do find it does look more professional for a lot of men if they wear an undershirt under their dress shirt: you're less likely to notice anything distracting.

This is what my husband does for work shirts. I don't think it's rude not to, but if he's uncomfortable it's an option.

LadyL

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 01:31:52 PM »
Undershirts are more professional for this reason and others (i.e so dark chest hair, or a tattoo, don't 'show' under a white shirt).

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 02:03:54 PM »
I agree. when DS was in a "back to work" program, the men in the program had to wear dress shirts with a undershirt underneath - they were told it was more professional.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Amava

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 02:43:04 PM »
I think it looks nicer and more professional to wear an undershirt under a dress shirt.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 02:51:46 PM »
Yeah, I agree with the t-shirt worn under the shirt looking more professional. It just looks better, IMO, especially in a work setting.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 03:52:04 PM »
Without necessarily opening that particular debate again, what I/ we would like to know is, what about mens' nipples showing through clothing? Inappropriate or rude?

I'm assuming you're talking about headlights protruding, not that the shirt is see-through. Right?

In which case, I don't see how a tee-shirt under the dress shirt would make a difference. Women can wear padded bras, but I don't think they make them for men. ;)

If it bothers BF, suggest that he wear looser clothing.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 04:17:26 PM »

I'm assuming you're talking about headlights protruding, not that the shirt is see-through. Right?

In which case, I don't see how a tee-shirt under the dress shirt would make a difference. Women can wear padded bras, but I don't think they make them for men. ;)

If it bothers BF, suggest that he wear looser clothing.

Undershirts can help reduce the appearance headlights, as can looser shirts. Otherwise, you just accept it's part of life and move on.

sweetonsno

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 11:24:20 PM »
Unless someone is in the health/fitness industry, I think it's best if they "cover up" as much as possible. I think this is especially important in an educational setting. Tailored, yes; form-fitting, no.

I would vote for your hubby wearing an undershirt and/or something over his dress shirt (when possible). If you can afford it, it might not hurt for your hubby to find a stylist or personal shopper at the department store. He or she will be able to help your DH find some shirts that fit his build.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 12:08:42 AM »
I'm used to seeing it at work. As long as there is no purple nurples, I think it is okay.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

CakeEater

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 05:03:26 AM »
I'm used to seeing it at work. As long as there is no purple nurples, I think it is okay.

Purple nurples? They sound delicious!

Minmom3

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 04:36:28 PM »
I used to work with a woman who wore nearly transparent bras.  Which is fine and dandy when what's on top of that transparent bra is opaque.  And, naturally enough, her tops were nearly transparent too.  Big fuzzy white cowl next sweater (back in the '70's) that, while beautiful, could have used a full camisole under it and not looked bad.  This woman liked the male attention; thought all the women doing double takes were funny, and just did not CARE that her nipples were showing through 2 layers of clothing.  Personally, I find headlights much harder to disguise, and there's a limit to how far I'll go to do so, but there is NOTHING difficult about hiding the darkness of one's nipples through one's clothing.  It's easy peasy, and I find people who refuse to do so a bit distasteful.  Purely my own opinion, but such it is.  IMO, underwear is to provide support and masque finer details of one's body, and the outwear is to do the rest of the cover up job.  Fashion not withstanding!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....