Author Topic: Favorite canning rexipes  (Read 653 times)

GSNW

Favorite canning rexipes
« on: February 23, 2013, 03:00:11 PM »
I've gotten REALLY into canning I the last three months and I can't wait for the summer farmers markets!  If love to hear your tried and true absolute favorite recipes for everything from pickled whatever to sweets.  I've had a lot of success with jams and jellies and even a batch of grape ketchup, and a chutney that claimed a whole evening... I'm ready for more!!

sweetonsno

Re: Favorite canning rexipes
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 03:42:32 AM »
Make barbecue sauce! Start by sautéing some onions and garlic (until soft), then add vinegar, ketchup, and sweetener in equal proportions. You can mess with the type of vinegar and sweetener for different tastes. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Cook over low/medium-low heat until all sugar is dissolved and the onions are soft. Whir in a blender or food processor until smooth. Season as desired (salt and pepper, liquid smoke, soy sauce, hot sauce, mustard, booze, whatever). Let bubble until your desired texture and can, or let bubble until a bit past your desired texture, then thin with fruit juice of your choice.

GSNW

Re: Favorite canning rexipes
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 02:11:03 PM »
That sounds tasty, thank you!  I made grape ketchup a few weeks ago and it was very BBQ-sauce like.  I'd like to try it by making my own tomato mash/ketchup mixture and going from there.  Liquid smoke, yum.