Author Topic: Slight Flurry In Line At Cable Company  (Read 703 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Slight Flurry In Line At Cable Company
« on: February 23, 2013, 05:17:06 PM »
The last few days, we've had intermittent internet failures.  VorGuy and VorSon were not happy and if they are griping about it, I'm not happy.

VorGuy went off on a day trip with some students (marching competition).  I took the chance to reset the network and do some trouble shooting.

After three more breaks in service while trying to do online chats with tech support.....I ran a trouble shooting program from the cable company and got a message about "equipment having reached EOL (end of life)". 

Old modem got unhooked and off I went to the cable company store nearest the house.....where I stood in line for over an hour behind a lady.  Mild grousing was being done by all as there were only three people workin out of five possible work stations - but at least all three people were WORKING - the line was going fairly fast.

Until the lady in front of me got to the head of the line and was told that the account was not in her name and she could not get new equipment without paying for it or providing paperwork (bills & ownership or lease to the house) in HER name instead of whoever had their name on the account at that time (I don't know if there was a death, a divorce, or what - but...).  She was not happy and took up several minutes insisting that she paid the bill and should be able to close the account, change the name on it, get new equipment, etc.

A brief flurry - otherwise the line was well behaved, quiet, and not inclined to argue - because it was Saturday and they wanted to get their cable, internet, and or phone service back up ASAP without having to take time off work, I suppose.

I came back home to find that the previous lessor on the modem had changed the SSID name, but not the various passwords, and left ALL their MAC alphanumeric information on the modem - but a quick "factory reset" cleared that up.

Back to getting all of our computers & the network printers up & running. 

I was amazed at how mild the SS flurry was, for the length of the line.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

fountainsoflettuce

Re: Slight Flurry In Line At Cable Company
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 06:08:35 PM »
Is this a blog post?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 06:19:37 PM »
What part of "not in your name, can't have access" doesn't she get?  I wonder if she thinks a random stranger should be allowed to use her bank account even though their name isn't on it...I highly doubt it.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 08:59:49 PM »
Is this a blog post?

More like wondering at the mildness of the SS attack - she'd been in line before I got there (told me she'd poked her head in the door, decided to do something else and come back when the line was shorter....it was longer, so she got in line & stayed the second time).

Only to find out that she didn't have any paperwork, couldn't get the equipment she was asking for without paying for it at the desk (expensive), and that calling the ex- to talk to them about adding her to the account (I am assuming an ex- as you can't call a deceased person on your cell) wouldn't work.  They could call Customer Service and add her - but only from "their" phone number that was on the account....

It was the kind of day when you expect the worst behavior and are almost shocked to find that someone who could have gone ballistic isn't......she wasn't happy, she didn't want to take "no" for an answer, but she left without making a scene. 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?