Author Topic: Book one hotel or two? (Liverpool, June)  (Read 1231 times)

littlebird

Book one hotel or two? (Liverpool, June)
« on: February 23, 2013, 08:38:46 PM »
This is a sort of odd situation: I'm traveling to the UK for a week the first week of June (I'll be staying in one city 7 nights). This is for research - I'm a grad student in my early 30s. I won't find out until mid-late April if I get any funding from the University to help defray expenses.

Thing 1: I'm worried that the end of April might be too late to book a room for a whole week anywhere in Liverpool, particularly not as I need to be close to the bus or fairly centrally located.

Thing 2: I have identified both a hostel and a relatively cheap hotel as places to stay. Hostel would be an all-female room with 4 beds, so me and 3 other people (shared room, having to use a locker = bah, but kitchen and socialization outside of the room = yay!). Hotel would be me alone (space to my introverted self = yay, having to go out to find people when I'm feeling extroverted = bah). The hotel is about twice as spendy as the hostel.

So... do I reserve only one? Which one? I could probably afford the hotel, but it would be a greater burden on my overall budget.
Do I book both and then cancel one when I find out if I got funding? Is this a horrible thing to do?

merryns

Re: Book one hotel or two? (Liverpool, June)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 10:38:34 PM »
If you will be visiting at a time that is not during the UK academic year, another option might be a single room in a residential college. You get the advantage of privacy, but they are cheaper than hotels. They will also be near the universities, so probably conveniently located for your research. e.g. http://www.halls.london.ac.uk/visitor/Default.aspx

merryns

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:40:54 PM »
Just noticed you will be in Liverpool, not London. http://www.liv.ac.uk/accommodation/

littlebird

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 09:55:43 AM »
Thank you - I'd briefly looked at the site, but saw only the 65/night and not 180/week. I'll email them today and see what the rates are for visiting scholars.

Margo

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 05:04:16 AM »
Merryns beat me to the University suggestion.
Going back to the original question, I don't think that booking both and then cancelling one is rude or horrible (but do double check the terms and conditions to make sure whether you forfeit a deposit if you cancel)

Unless there is a big festival or other event on during the week you're planning to visit, I'd be very surprised if everywhere was booked up for the time you're there.

Enjoy your trip

NestHolder

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 11:22:33 AM »
I agree with Margo.  Unless there's some major event for people in a similar financial situation to yourself, at the time you want to be there, it's unlikely that you wouldn't be able to book much closer to the event. 

However, if you prefer the reassurance of knowing you have somewhere to stay, there's no reason why you cannot book now, and book both places in the knowledge that you will cancel one of them closer to the time.  People cancel hotel/hostel bookings all the time and for many reasons.

littlebird

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 07:59:56 PM »
Thank you both!  The University is affordable (if they give me the per week rate), but it's a bit more out than the hostel or hotel. Close to the University, yes, but in amongst other Uni housing. I'm still thinking, but I have confirmed that June is NOT high season in Liverpool.

Anyone have favourite restaurants to recommend?

Snooks

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 02:25:41 PM »
I'm visiting Liverpool in April so I'll come back and give you any information I find.  If you're still looking at hotels Premier Inn is a nice chain hotel, I've stayed in lots of them for business and they're always clean and safe feeling (as a woman on your own) and they all have restaurants on site if you want to eat there.

littlebird

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 05:00:38 PM »
I'm visiting Liverpool in April so I'll come back and give you any information I find.  If you're still looking at hotels Premier Inn is a nice chain hotel, I've stayed in lots of them for business and they're always clean and safe feeling (as a woman on your own) and they all have restaurants on site if you want to eat there.

Thank you for the offer! I think I'm going to stay in the University accommodation, because their weekly rate is one of the cheapest I've found, plus I'll have a proper kitchen.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 11:00:23 AM »
I'm visiting Liverpool in April so I'll come back and give you any information I find. 

Me, too!
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Snooks

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 07:29:48 PM »
Just back from my trip.  I can recommend visiting The Philharmonic Dining Rooms for food if you get a chance, it's a stunning building, Trip Advisor link, Wikipedia link.  Failing that we were staying at the Albert Dock (which is about a 25 minute walk from the university I think) and there's lots of places to eat there and also in the Liverpool One shopping complex which is across the road from the Albert Dock but in the direction of the university, also lots of places to eat.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 08:49:45 PM »
Also, Thomas Rigby's is a lovely pub. And Olive is a terrific restaurant.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

littlebird

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 10:23:06 AM »
Thank you both!