Author Topic: Too much to ask?  (Read 2533 times)

kitchcat

• Flickr
Too much to ask?
« on: February 22, 2013, 11:05:48 AM »
BG: I'm going to be graduating from uni soon and I'm trying to figure out where I will be working post-graduation and if I need to move. /BG

I've been in contact with a independent businesswoman who is in need of someone to help her run her new business (she has no employees as of yet). She works full time in a management position at NiceRetailer, and runs her own business in addition. This woman really likes me and has expressed interest in having me work with her. She has expressed that she does not have the funds quite yet to hire me full-time, but hopes within a few months it will be possible. At the moment, I'm helping her without pay because I want her to see I'd be a good hire, and even if I don't get hired, I can get valuable experience.

I have told her that I want to continue working with her, but I will most likely need some kind of day job if she is not able to hire me right after graduation, and if I am unable to find a paying job in town, I will have to move back to my hometown (my parents have offered to help out until I get a job, plus the job market in my hometown is a little better).

My question: Would it be too forward to ask this woman if she could help me get an entry-level job at NiceRetailer? It would just be something simple like being a cashier or stocking merchandise. Is this asking too much? If it's okay, how would I go about asking?
Quote from: magician5
Quote from: Kinseyanne
In the bag was two cans of kitten formula

So now ... just add water and you get kittens? What will they think of next??

MrTango

Re: Too much to ask?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 11:08:23 AM »
I don't think that would be inappropriate in the least.  In fact, she could very well recommend you to the hiring manager at the retailer based on your prior business relationship.

I'd ask her if the retailer happens to be hiring at the moment and if so, would she be able to send you an application.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 11:34:20 AM »
I don't think that would be inappropriate in the least.  In fact, she could very well recommend you to the hiring manager at the retailer based on your prior business relationship.

I'd ask her if the retailer happens to be hiring at the moment and if so, would she be able to send you an application.

POD. Don't ask if she can GET you a job, but its perfeclty ok to ask if they are hiring, who should you speak to, etc. I'm sure she'd be happy to help you.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 10:48:43 AM »
At the moment, I'm helping her without pay because I want her to see I'd be a good hire, and even if I don't get hired, I can get valuable experience.

Be careful of this...you may be thinking "internship, learning, awesome" and she might be thinking "Free, free=no value, no value to me". 

If you don't think yourself worthy of being paid, she won't either.  I would say consider how long you do this work for free and if you are really learning anything.  Also she might not want to refer you to the retailer because she would rather you work for free for her!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 12:57:18 PM »
Also be sure not to end up in a position where you are under her supervision or even just working in the same department at Nice Retailer.

Try to keep your work in the two spheres very separate.

but no, it's absolutely NOT "too much to ask."

You can ask her to submit your resume directly to a recruiter/HR person. You can ask her to directly speak to any manager that you  might be interviewing with. You can ask to put her down as a reference.

(but *also* be sure she's got a good rep inside Nice Retailer)

Sparkle Star

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 07:26:47 AM »
At the moment, I'm helping her without pay because I want her to see I'd be a good hire, and even if I don't get hired, I can get valuable experience.

Be careful of this...you may be thinking "internship, learning, awesome" and she might be thinking "Free, free=no value, no value to me". 

If you don't think yourself worthy of being paid, she won't either.  I would say consider how long you do this work for free and if you are really learning anything.  Also she might not want to refer you to the retailer because she would rather you work for free for her!

POD - my thoughts exactly!
Love, dance and chocolate fudge cake - what more do I need?