Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Tell Me About Lentils, Please.

<< < (4/4)

1 medium onion, - a root of celeriac, 2 medium carrots, 2 small or one large leek, and a small bunch of parsley. Cut into small dice or slices.  add about 200g green lentils, 2 tblsp tomato paste and two medium sized diced potatoes. Cook all in stock until soft then mash a little. Reheat, adding frankfurters at this stage.

Getting lots of good recipe ideas here which I'll have to try.

I normally cook them up Italian style in water (1:3 ratio of lentils to water) with olive oil, garlic cloves, chili, stock cube and sometimes a can of tomatoes/fresh ripe tomatoes. I let it cook gently for about 1/2 hr or until all the water is absorbed and they are tender.  They are great by themselves or I'll often add some tuna to them for lunch. 

Wow! These are some awesome sounding recipes! I made my first lentil recipe yesterday and it came out great. I'm glad to say that I apparently do like lentils so I will be trying some of the ideas on this thread soon!

Here's what I made, in case anyone would like to try it:

Moroccan Chicken and Lentils

2 cups chopped carrots
1.5 cups dried lentils (I used green lentils and they stayed nice and firm...not mushy at all)
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
3 TB minced garlic
3/4 tsp salt
1.5 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cayenne
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 cups of fat free, low salt chicken broth

Place all ingredients in the order listed in crock pot. Cover and cook on high for 5 hours. Or, cover and cook on high for 1 hour, reduce to low and cook 7 more hours.

This was very easy and came out really well. My DH absolutely loves it.

We got a recipe for carrot, ginger and lentil soup from a friend - she said it was what they were served in Italy as a traditional New Year's "good luck" dish.  There are lots of recipes for that combination online.  Really yummy - we don't cook it till the lentils dissolve, we like them with a little texture.

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version