Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Tell Me About Lentils, Please.

<< < (2/4) > >>

MrsJWine:
I love this recipe. I didn't even know there was such a thing as French lentils before I tried it, but they are delicious. I find them in the bulk section at Sprouts, if you have one of those.

http://joythebaker.com/2011/12/a-hot-bowl-of-spicy-lentil-soup-with-buttered-bread/

Doll Fiend:
There is a great episode about Lentils on Good Eats. Including a Cookie recipe!
It is Pantry Raid VI: Lentils, season 10 episode 13. I am positive that You Tube has it.

sweetonsno:
If you can find beluga lentils, you can make faux caviar.

Dal is great (as others have suggested), as is French-style lentil salad. (Try it with endive. Mmm.)

You can make lentils into a vegetarian loaf-type thing, but it is quite dense and can come out dry, even if you do everything right. (Now you know.) I have had luck making little lentil "meatballs," but they are a bit of a pain.

Mal:
Swabian Lentil Stew:

Soak one cup of lentils overnight. The next day, gently cook for 45 minutes in three cups of unsalted water.

Put lentils in a strainer, keep the stock and add half a bouillon cube.

Heat a tablespoon of butter and a teaspoon of oil in a saucepan. Add a tablespoon of flour and keep stirring with a wire whisk for about a minute. Add the lentil stock and stir until the broth starts getting viscous. Season with a bit of paprika.

Add the lentils and a tablespoon of vinegar, stir, let it simmer for a minute or two, season to your taste, and serve.

Tastes especially good with cut up weenies or a spoonful sour cream :)

jpcher:

--- Quote from: blarg314 on February 25, 2013, 12:29:35 AM ---
Search for dal (or dahl) recipes - flavourful Indian lentil dishes.

They also make a good basis for a split-pea type soup, either vegetarian, or with ham or bacon as a flavouring.

I've heard, but haven't tried it, that some sorts of lentils can be used instead of meat in things like chili - it gives a similar texture to the final dish.

--- End quote ---

Bold above is the way I love my lentils.

However I've done the split-pea soup version with a beef hocks instead of pork. I almost think that lentils lean better toward beef than pork.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version