Author Topic: Tell Me About Lentils, Please.  (Read 1783 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Tell Me About Lentils, Please.
« on: February 24, 2013, 04:15:33 PM »
I like to experiment with new ingredients and have decided to learn about lentils. I have never tried them before. Anyone got any good recipes to share?

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

magician5

Re: Tell Me About Lentils, Please.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:23:59 PM »
I make a very zesty Ethiopian cold lentil salad: boil lentils until done (you can try one or two as they boil to see if they are to your taste or need further cooking). Drain and chill under cold water, and drain some more. Toss with Italian dressing (lite dressing if you wish), and if you choose you can add some chopped raw onion and/or sliced raw jalapenos - enjoy!
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 11:31:55 PM »
There are different varieties, colors. I usually use either the red/orange ones to make soup , and the green or black to makestews. The red ones disintegrate and become mush so the soup is like a split pea soup in texture. The green/black hold their shape I usually make them into mujaddra-a middle Eastern rice and lentil dish, or I use them for harira, the yummy morrocan soup. I also have a recipe for vegetarian patties, I even think they are here somewhere on ehell. I'll try to post some later when I'm on a real 'puter if you'd like.

The cool thing about lentils is that they cook faster than other beans and you didn't need to presoak , and they're a bit more gentle on the tummy.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 12:29:35 AM »

Search for dal (or dahl) recipes - flavourful Indian lentil dishes.

They also make a good basis for a split-pea type soup, either vegetarian, or with ham or bacon as a flavouring.

I've heard, but haven't tried it, that some sorts of lentils can be used instead of meat in things like chili - it gives a similar texture to the final dish.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 01:53:32 AM »
I cook my lentlis with wild rice or basmati rice.  I usually get the green/black ones but I have used red ones as well.  I prefer rice over lentils so I usually do a 2:1 ratio of rice to lentils. I saute everything with a bit of oil, spices and garlic first and then add in warm chicken stock and set to simmer for about 20 min.  My chicken stock ration is 3:1 chicken stock to rice/lentil combo.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 02:05:34 AM »
I love this recipe. I didn't even know there was such a thing as French lentils before I tried it, but they are delicious. I find them in the bulk section at Sprouts, if you have one of those.

http://joythebaker.com/2011/12/a-hot-bowl-of-spicy-lentil-soup-with-buttered-bread/

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 02:11:17 AM »
There is a great episode about Lentils on Good Eats. Including a Cookie recipe!
It is Pantry Raid VI: Lentils, season 10 episode 13. I am positive that You Tube has it.

sweetonsno

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 03:37:37 AM »
If you can find beluga lentils, you can make faux caviar.

Dal is great (as others have suggested), as is French-style lentil salad. (Try it with endive. Mmm.)

You can make lentils into a vegetarian loaf-type thing, but it is quite dense and can come out dry, even if you do everything right. (Now you know.) I have had luck making little lentil "meatballs," but they are a bit of a pain.

Melle

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 05:27:56 AM »
Swabian Lentil Stew:

Soak one cup of lentils overnight. The next day, gently cook for 45 minutes in three cups of unsalted water.

Put lentils in a strainer, keep the stock and add half a bouillon cube.

Heat a tablespoon of butter and a teaspoon of oil in a saucepan. Add a tablespoon of flour and keep stirring with a wire whisk for about a minute. Add the lentil stock and stir until the broth starts getting viscous. Season with a bit of paprika.

Add the lentils and a tablespoon of vinegar, stir, let it simmer for a minute or two, season to your taste, and serve.

Tastes especially good with cut up weenies or a spoonful sour cream :)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 08:55:38 PM »

Search for dal (or dahl) recipes - flavourful Indian lentil dishes.

They also make a good basis for a split-pea type soup, either vegetarian, or with ham or bacon as a flavouring.

I've heard, but haven't tried it, that some sorts of lentils can be used instead of meat in things like chili - it gives a similar texture to the final dish.

Bold above is the way I love my lentils.

However I've done the split-pea soup version with a beef hocks instead of pork. I almost think that lentils lean better toward beef than pork.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 09:54:03 PM »
I use split red lentils in soups and they pratically disolve and at as a thickening agent.

This is one of my favorite lentil curry recipes because I love green curry with green beans.
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/green-lentil-curry

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 10:27:07 PM »
These all sound like good ideas...thank you! I've got some green lentils and will be experimenting in a day or two!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

NyaChan

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 01:28:45 AM »
One of my favorites is having the lentils cooked with some cilantro, with black pepper, salt, and lemon juice.  Really yummy, I eat it at room temperature.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 04:17:14 AM »
for green lentils try mujadara which is a traditional middle eastern dish of rice and lentils topped with burnt caramelized onions and often served with yogurt. here is one recipe - i havent' tried this recipe from her blog yet but it looks like the one i usually make and her recipes are usually perfect. I usually make it with whole grain basmatti rice
http://theshiksa.com/2010/05/26/mujadara/

Servings: 8
Kosher Key: Pareve
Prep Time: 2 Hours
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Total Time: 3 Hours
Ingredients

2 cups white basmati rice
    1 cup brown lentils
    2 tsp cumin
    1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided

2 bay leaves
    2 strips lemon peel, about 2 inches long each
    2 large onions
    Salt and pepper

Rinse and sort the rice, removing any small stones or impurities, then cover it with cold water and 2 tsp of salt. Let it soak at room temperature for 2 hours.
    Rinse and sort the lentils, removing any small stones or impurities.
    Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add 2 tsp salt to the boiling water, then add the lentils. Reduce heat to medium and simmer the lentils till they are tender, but not soft or mushy (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat and drain, then rinse in a colander with cold water.
    Drain and rinse the soaked rice.
    Rinse out the saucepan where you cooked the lentils and pour in 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil. While water is heating, in a large pot, heat 1/4 cup olive oil till hot enough for frying. Add the lentils to the pot along with the cumin, 1/2 tsp salt (if you are watching your sodium intake, use 1/4 tsp salt), and 1/4 tsp pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes.
    Add the drained rice to the pot and stir.
    When the water in the small saucepan boils, pour it over the lentils and rice. Stir. Add bay leaves and lemon peel to the pot and bring water to a boil. Cover the pot. Reduce heat and let the rice steam at a low simmer for 20 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed.
    Turn off the rice, uncover the pot, fluff the rice with a fork, cover the pot again and let it sit for another 15 minutes.
    Meanwhile, heat up 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet. Peel the onion and cut into thin slices. Fry the onion slices over medium heat until they are soft and nicely caramelized. Season with salt and pepper.
    Fluff the mujadra with a fork again. Serve topped with the caramelized onions. If you like the flavor of butter, you can substitute melted butter for olive oil. If you do this, please keep in mind that the dish becomes dairy rather than pareve.

On the same blog, i've had my eye on this recipe for vegetarian shepherd's pie which uses lentils.

Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
Servings: 9 servings
Kosher Key: Dairy or Pareve
Total Time: 1 Hour
Ingredients

2 lbs. Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
    1 whole garlic clove
    1 cup (1/2 lb.) dry brown lentils
    1 bay leaf
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 onion, diced
    1 cup diced carrots
    1 cup diced celery
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 cup frozen peas
    1 cup corn
    1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley, divided
    2 tsp vegan Worchestershire or tamari sauce
    3/4 tsp dried oregano
    Pinch of cayenne pepper
    1/2 cup milk or milk substitute (soy, almond, or rice milk)
    3 tbsp butter or vegan butter substitute (ex. Earth Balance)
    Salt and pepper
    Nonstick cooking oil spray
    Sriracha sauce for topping (optional)

You will also need

2 quart baking dish, potato masher

Note: If making pareve, substitute dairy-free products for dairy (suggestions above).
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place the peeled potatoes in a pot along with one whole peeled garlic clove. Cover the potatoes with plenty of water.
    Bring to a boil on the stovetop, then reduce heat to medium to the potatoes continue to simmer. Let the potatoes cooks for 25-30 minutes till fork tender.
    Meanwhile, rinse and sort the lentils. Pour the lentils into a pot along with a bay leaf. Cover with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
    Reduce heat to a simmer and let the lentils cook for 15-20 minutes till just tender-- keep a close watch on them and don't overcook, or they'll become soft/mushy. Remove from heat as soon as they're cooked. If there is any excess water, drain it.
    As potatoes and lentils are cooking, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add diced onion to the skillet and saute for 5-6 minutes till softened.
    Add the diced carrots and celery. Continue to saute for 5-6 more minutes till the vegetables are tender-crisp.
    Add crushed garlic, peas, corn, 3 tbsp of the chopped parsley, vegan Worchestershire or tamari sauce, oregano, and cayenne pepper to the skillet. Stir and saute for 3-4 minutes more till the vegetables are tender and fragrant.
    Stir the skillet vegetable mixture into the cooked, drained lentils. Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
    Drain the cooked potatoes; reserve the whole garlic clove that cooked with them. Mash the potatoes and softened garlic clove with milk and butter (or vegan milk and butter substitutes) till smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
    Lightly grease a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Spread the lentil and vegetable mixture in an even layer across the bottom of the dish.
    Spread the mashed potatoes on top of the vegetable mixture, using a spoon or fork to add texture to the top of the potatoes for browning. Top with cheddar cheese (or vegan cheddar shreds), if desired.
    Place the dish in the oven and let it bake for about 30 minutes till the tips of the potatoes turn golden brown. Increase heat at the end of cooking for more browning, if desired. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tbsp of chopped parsley on top of the pie to garnish. Serve hot.
    I like to top each serving with a squirt of sriracha-- it's very spicy, but oh so delicious!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 12:00:13 PM »
I make my own vegetable broth, and since I tend to use lots of jalepenos in cooking, lots go into my broth too, making it spicy.

Often I will cook regular brown lentils in spicy broth.  Once cooked, cook them and mix with crumbled feta cheese and some diced crunchy veggies (pepper, onion, celery, carrot - whatever you have).  Sprinkle with a touch of good salt (the feta is already salty so not too much).  Diced sundried tomatoes are an optional add-in too. So good!