Author Topic: Rude Boss  (Read 2601 times)

xanne

Rude Boss
« on: February 25, 2013, 03:01:46 PM »
I worked for a totally rude person.  This one incident stands out above all of the others.  Our office was 3 women administrative workers plus the owner and his wife.  Another woman who was interviewing for a job was eating lunch with "the girls" when the owner walks in and asks "do you girls have to eat lunch every day?  You are all way too fat and it is costing me a lot of money for insurance".  Stunned silence.  The surprise was the woman accepted the job (she really needed one). 

I shouldn't have been surprised.  A week after I was hired, the other two came to me and apologized for not taking me aside and telling me to run away when I came in to interview, but they liked me and hoped that things would get better.

NotTheNarcissist

Re: Rude Boss
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 04:48:58 PM »
I agree the boss is rude. Is there an etiquette question?

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 06:21:05 PM »
Document day, times, what was said.  Let HR know if that is a viable option.  Sooner or later the words "hostile work environment" will slap that boss upside the head.  In the meantime all you can do is maintain your dignity.  Do not respond in kind.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 06:41:43 PM »
It sounds like this was in the past and not able to be documented anymore.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 06:45:21 PM »
Also sounds like there was no HR, and OP doesn't even work there anymore.

OP, (xanne) is that correct?

oogyda

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 10:52:10 AM »

Maybe the poster is relaying a tale of extreme rudeness simply to open discussion of similar stories and other horribly rude bosses.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Frostblooded

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 10:57:02 AM »

Maybe the poster is relaying a tale of extreme rudeness simply to open discussion of similar stories and other horribly rude bosses.

Agreed. There doesn't need to be an etiquette question. E-Hell is founded on the concept of relaying rude circumstances.  :)

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 09:53:39 PM »
If that is the case, then the thread should be moved to the "Time for a Coffee Break" forum (and I'd enjoy it! I have some tales of my own). The General Etiquette forums are for dilemmas and questions. I'll flag my post so the Mods know.
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

heartmug

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 01:15:38 PM »
I am surprised that boss didn't get slapped...... with a lawsuit.  Yikes.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

Jones

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 02:26:14 PM »
"Boss, do you have to talk every day? Your attorney fees must be pretty high."

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 02:37:12 PM »
 :o

Though I wonder if you used to work for the first company I ever worked for.  Boss came to work sick and hacked all over everyone.  Shortly thereafter, the receptionist also became ill. When she returned to work, he berated her in front of everyone and said that if she took better care of herself, she wouldn't have been sick. 

And that was just the tip of the iceberg.  I worked there for 3.5 years, which was about 3.25 years too long.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 02:42:50 PM »
I have a million stories about my old boss (unfortunately), but you just reminded me of one.

I had Shingles - on my face.  I felt horrible and stayed home because I could hardly move.  My boss acted like I was such a wimp and was just making things up as to how bad I felt.

Until she got it a few months later (and NOT on her face, I might add).  I overheard her tell someone on the phone that she felt like "a mac truck had hit" her.  Hmmmmmm....gee boss.  Ya think I was making it up NOW?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 03:43:16 PM »
I was interviewed by someone who kept laughing and calling my B.Ed my "bed degree". Amazingly, I accepted the job.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 11:27:05 PM »
Many years ago I had an interview in a restaurant (a nice family type place).  It was middle of afternoon, not crowded.  First I went to the office, then he asked me to come next door to the restaurant.  He said he was hungry and very tired, since he hadn’t gotten much sleep.

He ordered a LOT of food, and literally shoveled it in.  This was a very large man.  (I remember he ordered two large pieces of chocolate cake.) He asked if I wanted anything and I think I ordered a 7-up. He answered a few questions while chewing (kind of disgusting).  Then, his eyelids started to droop.  He said “Sorry, I’m really tired.”

I was glad when it was over.  Never heard anymore from him, thank goodness.

Couple yrs later I got a job at a small consulting firm.  Pay was very good.  But the president/owner was crazy.  He screamed, threw things (files, binder clips).  I saw some documents in a file indicating a previous employee had sued him, and he settled.  I didn’t stay long.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:34:48 PM by oceanus »

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 12:02:17 AM »
I worked in a psychology lab for a summer during college, literally running rats through mazes.  The rats had been used for a new neurosurgery technique, and I was supposed to run the mazes to ensure they had nothing wrong with their spacial reasoning skills or memory before they were euthanized and the surgical areas were inspected more thoroughly.  The surgery was the primary experiment - I was just an underling to the graduate student who got fortunate enough to be allowed to use the rats for a secondary spacial reasoning experiment for a few months.  This graduate student was fairly new to the US and new to our university, but he acted like he ran the whole lab.

The whole point of the experiment was for the rats to learn.  The natural consequence of this is that the rats started doing the mazes faster and faster as the weeks went on.  This meant I started out with 10-to-11-hour days at the beginning, while all the rats took forever, and ended up doing 2-to-3-hour days (plus some computer time) by the end of the experiment once they all learned how to get through the maze on the first go.  I was explicitly told that I would be paid for 8-hour days for the duration of the experiment since it would all even out in the end anyway.  It sucked at first, of course, but by two months in I was enjoying being able to sleep in a bit, run the experiments, hang around the lab for an hour or two to input data, and then head home by mid-afternoon.

Except then my boss (who was never actually in the lab) started showing up at 4:59 and being mad at me because I wasn't there.  I literally had nothing else I could do - I cleaned, I ran the experiment, I took care of the rats, I did the data entry, and I did what little data analysis I could, but I wasn't qualified to do anything else even if there had been something else to do.

The last week involved throwing the rats into a kiddie pool full of watery paint (water maze experiment) - which involved a full week of scrubbing out the pool by hand first, because the previous researcher had been using different-colored water.  I also broke two pumps trying to empty the pool because it was so full of rat hair and droppings  :-X  Oh, and it was a small, windowless, unventilated room, with extremely bright and hot lights.  I would have sprung for the $10 to buy a new kiddie pool and throw the old one out (it was literally the kind you can get at Wal-Mart), but it wasn't up to me  ::)

Anyway, after working my tail off and getting yelled at for it, I was seriously ready to quit my job two days before I was scheduled to leave.  Now-DH's suggestion was "If I were working a job I didn't like for a boss I didn't respect to earn money I didn't need, I'd tell him to go fly a kite."  I stuck out the last few days, but it was tough.  My boss's final comment to me?  "I should have known not to hire an undergrad to do this; they always #@$@ things up."