Author Topic: Transforming my living room into a bedroom  (Read 973 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Transforming my living room into a bedroom
« on: February 25, 2013, 08:31:43 PM »
Calling all and any room designers! Help, please!

BG: DD#1 is away at college and whenever she comes home, she moves her bed (box spring and mattress*) into the living room because of DD#2's and my morning schedule. If she keeps her bed in the shared bed room she gets woken (is that a word?) up too early in the morning for her liking. I don't have a problem with this because the bed is out of the way (tucked into a corner) plus it gives friends an extra comfy place in the living room whenever there's a crowd watching TV, etc.

DD#1 says that she's perfectly fine with the arrangement as is, however, I feel that she needs a space of her own since the shared room hasn't really been working out (sleeping-wise.) The DDs share a closet and the make-up table and they each have a wall/shelves for their personal stuff.

It's sounding more and more like DD#1 will be home again this summer (she wanted to get her own apartment with roomies, but I don't think that's going to work.) FWIW DDs will be 21 and 19 in May./end BG.

So, I'm thinking about transforming my living room into a bedroom with a temporary wall-divider type of thing.

I have a space that's about 38' long and 12' wide which includes the living room, dining area and a bunch of unused space in the middle. There's a roll-top desk against one wall and an 8' sliding glass door that leads out to the screened in patio then our dining area.

On the other side of the 12' wide is an 8' hall, an 8' wall then an 8' open area the leads into out kitchen.

So, I'm thinking that I could easily give DD#1 a 12x12 room of her own with a temporary wall like this http://www.houzz.com/photos/918593/Carlisle-Accordion-Ceiling-Mount-Room-Divider-contemporary-screens-and-wall-dividers-

I would move the desk into the hallway, but then I'm kinda stuck with where the TV, couch, loveseat and oversized chair would go for comfy TV watching.

We do have an unfinished basement (there's a pool table down there and old couches) but there's no egress for fire escape, so I don't want to put a bedroom down there.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, alternatives?

*Neither of the girls have a bed frame, for some reason they like the box spring & mattress on the floor.

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
Re: Transforming my living room into a bedroom
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 10:45:05 PM »
Can the temporary wall go in the bedroom instead?

I would have these concerns about a bed going in the living room;

Will DD#1 be kept awake at night by people watching television or occupying the living area generally?
Will DD#1 still have the same sleeping issues, ie being woken up by people moving around the house in the morning, as
she will be more in the centre of things.
Will your evening activities (watching tv, working at desk etc) be affected by the bed in the room?

Also, what actions does DD#2 do in the morning that wake DD#1 up - can they be changed?  ie doing make-up or getting dressed in the bathroom instead.

It seems like a lot of effort to go to, simply because a part-time house member doesn't want to get up early.

If you go ahead with partitioning your living space - does the partition wall have sound proofing?  Where will DD#1's clothes go?  Are the lights in the correct places for the room to function or will you have to purchase some lamps?

If you have partitioned can you move the dining table to the centre of the room and put the living room furniture against the end wall?

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 10:47:48 PM »
I have a real fondness for loft beds when sleeping in a "public" room. I think they give some extra privacy and you leave some furniture underneath so you lose less space.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 06:36:24 AM »
some random thoughts:

* the room dividers also cut out light/air. not sure what the set up of your home is and now this will affect the light/air issue. you might consider decorative room dividers

* would a day bed /pull out sofa work instead of leaving her mattress there? this owuld be for the summer, not for a weekend, so you might want to have a neater look.

* i understand you don't want to turn the basement into a bedroom but can you turn the basement into  a temp living room/den?

*not sure if this would work in your home, but if you have a dead end hallway/nook/niche, they can somtiems be used for sleeping spaces - i've seen this in very small apartments.

*what about your dining room - do you use that? often? can that space be utilized in some way?
Calling all and any room designers! Help, please!

BG: DD#1 is away at college and whenever she comes home, she moves her bed (box spring and mattress*) into the living room because of DD#2's and my morning schedule. If she keeps her bed in the shared bed room she gets woken (is that a word?) up too early in the morning for her liking. I don't have a problem with this because the bed is out of the way (tucked into a corner) plus it gives friends an extra comfy place in the living room whenever there's a crowd watching TV, etc.

DD#1 says that she's perfectly fine with the arrangement as is, however, I feel that she needs a space of her own since the shared room hasn't really been working out (sleeping-wise.) The DDs share a closet and the make-up table and they each have a wall/shelves for their personal stuff.

It's sounding more and more like DD#1 will be home again this summer (she wanted to get her own apartment with roomies, but I don't think that's going to work.) FWIW DDs will be 21 and 19 in May./end BG.

So, I'm thinking about transforming my living room into a bedroom with a temporary wall-divider type of thing.

I have a space that's about 38' long and 12' wide which includes the living room, dining area and a bunch of unused space in the middle. There's a roll-top desk against one wall and an 8' sliding glass door that leads out to the screened in patio then our dining area.

On the other side of the 12' wide is an 8' hall, an 8' wall then an 8' open area the leads into out kitchen.

So, I'm thinking that I could easily give DD#1 a 12x12 room of her own with a temporary wall like this http://www.houzz.com/photos/918593/Carlisle-Accordion-Ceiling-Mount-Room-Divider-contemporary-screens-and-wall-dividers-

I would move the desk into the hallway, but then I'm kinda stuck with where the TV, couch, loveseat and oversized chair would go for comfy TV watching.

We do have an unfinished basement (there's a pool table down there and old couches) but there's no egress for fire escape, so I don't want to put a bedroom down there.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, alternatives?

*Neither of the girls have a bed frame, for some reason they like the box spring & mattress on the floor.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools