Author Topic: Disney Vacation  (Read 4238 times)

LilacGirl1983

Disney Vacation
« on: February 26, 2013, 10:10:02 AM »
Hi,

I was hoping some of you ladies would have some advice /tips. We are planning a 2 week vacation to Orlando Florida in October of 2014. Way a head of time I know :) I will have a 6 year old and a 1 year old. Any tips on what to see/do? Also to cut costs? We plan on flying down there and back. Also any hotel recommendations ? It will be during fall break for our daughter so she will not be missing school at all..

Thanks
  LilacGirl

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Disney Vacation
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 10:52:05 AM »
I live in the Orlando area and I have annual passes for Disney. I will come back later and post more. Are you wanting to stay on property?

LilacGirl1983

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 11:15:31 AM »
Yea we would like to but we are open on different hotels..we will need to have transportation to the parks since we will not be renting a car. So the onsite transportation is important. We are also trying to figure out food costs and and weather appropriate clothes since we are from MN so the weather is quite different here in October :)

Snooks

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 02:22:08 PM »
I've stayed in Disney hotels twice and I'd say if you're choosing between the moderate and economy with kids stay in the economy because they felt much more Disney to me.  The downside of the economy ones in school break will be that you run the risk of there being events on for schools and they may block book those.

Veronica

• Super Hero!
  • the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 04:13:39 PM »
Do you have a rough budget?  That will give me an idea of what to recommend.

Florida

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 10:04:16 AM »
Here are some websites/forums for you to check out

www.disboards.com (I'm CdnDisneyFan on that)
www.laughingplace.com
www.themouseforless.com
www.passporter.com
www,mouseplanet.com
www.mousesavers.com

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 12:24:01 PM »
I am ladyknight1 on disboards.

I definitely recommend staying on property if you are going to be going to Disney only. Even if you stay there for part of your trip, you can take their "Magical Express" shuttle from the airport, buy the meal plan (which saves a lot if you eat out the entire time), and use their transportation network. The packages are really good, and they try to suit every budget.

Avoid the Nickelodeon hotel at all costs. I have heard many first-hand reviews that it is not very well maintained.

I recommend the Holiday Inn in Lake Buena Vista, near Downtown Disney. My husband has done all of their lock work and they are reasonably priced, but it is a very nice property.

October is during the Food and Wine festival at Epcot. We love it! That is such a fun event!

LilacGirl1983

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 06:38:21 PM »
Thanks everyone..We are looking at the Port Orleans Riverside but not sure how suitable it will be for two younger kids..also we are looking at about 10k for everything including hotel, flight, attractions, food ect..Is that to long for 14 days ?

Veronica

• Super Hero!
  • the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 08:45:56 PM »
I don't know what you mean by too long, but $10,000 should be fine for two weeks, depending on your flight costs.  I recommend you check out Animal Kingdom.  I think the Savannah views are worth the extra cost.  Also, congratulations on being able to afford such a lavish vacation!  DH and I are planning to save until October for DS's 3rd birthday at Disney and we only plan to spend 1/10th of the cost.  We're both professionals with well paying jobs, but obviously we're doing something wrong because our vacations aren't nearly as expensive!  :)

Florida

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 08:50:19 PM »
I think you would be fine at Port Orleans. I also like the Art of Animation. Your budget sounds optimal and I definitely recommend the dining plan.

elephantschild

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 09:24:03 PM »
Hi! We're going to Disney for the first time in seven years in late April ... so while I'm not the expert others are, I've done a ton of really recent research! (Have I mentioned I'm excited! I'm excited!  ;D)

We have two boys, ages 4 and 8, and are staying at Art of Animation. I can give you a report on what they liked most when we return ... I'm going to be dying to talk about it! ... and if we found any good cost measures.

I agree with ladyknight1 in that I love the dining plan. It's also just so convenient! You don't have to cart around as much money or worry about your meal budget as much.

(I'm on disboards, too! Jays2013)
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 12:22:50 AM »
We're also going next October - maybe we'll see you there  :P  I know you said you're not planning to rent a car, but have you looked at vacation rentals in the area?  You can get a 3-bedroom house for $100-$150/night, ten minutes from Disney's front gates - which is actually closer than some of the Disney properties are to some of the parks, since Disney is so spread out.  (Disney hotels "right outside the park" may be right outside Epcot and a twenty-minute ride to the Magic Kingdom, for example.)  That also gives you your own kitchen so you have the choice of going back to your room and having a quiet meal, if the kids need down time.  It does involve having a car, though.

I've found several resources for "good places to nap at Disney" - so even though it's nice to be close by, it's not like you have to skip naptime if you don't stay at a Disney hotel  :)

(I'll be watching this thread with interest, though!  I was at the Swan & Dolphin for a conference two years ago, but I haven't been to Disney itself for years.)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 06:17:18 PM »
I seem to remember somebody mentioning that they went around that time and stayed in ther resort - which meant that they could get the meal deal for free.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 06:20:49 PM »
If you aren't staying on property, you can't get the dining package. I wish you could, but that is a package deal for certain.

During the warmer months, I definitely recommend mornings and evenings at the parks, with the afternoon for resting. In October, it is cool enough to spend longer amounts of time at the parks, but make sure you go to Animal Kingdom early as they close at sunset.

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 10:07:33 PM »
I recommend getting the Disney Visa card.  You earn points that you can spend at Disney.  Also if you use it pay for your vacation you get 6 months 0% interest.