Author Topic: But I called you for a reason...  (Read 3795 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: But I called you for a reason...
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 09:02:29 PM »
I called her back and when she answered, I asked her if she had time to talk this time because she kind of rushed me off the phone last time.  She said, "I know I did..." in the tone of voice she uses when she wants to say more but can't, "but I can talk now."  We talked about what I had intended to speak the first time.  I can speculate why she couldn't talk but it really doesn't matter; we discussed what needed to be discussed and that was that.

Thanks for the help and for talking me through being a bit more butthurt than usual.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 03:38:57 AM »
Yay!  ;D

Good on you for bringing it up without blame. You gave her a chance to acknowledge and she did. Glad you got to say your peace. *hug*

Good luck with your "sore butt."  ;)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 04:19:10 AM »
My mother doesn't wait till the end of the story either, before butting in. I get the feeling it's not just this incident that raises the OP's ire, but it's been a building source of irritation for years. At least that is how it is with me.

It'll go, "Part A of this story happened, and...."
"Yes, I know, blah blah blah tangent...."
"Yes, but the reason I was telling about part A is that Part B needs to..."
"Oh, yes, Part B blah blah blah........tangent."
"Wait! That was NOT what I was going to say. So as I was saying, Part B and Part C..."

It's like, constant interruptions, and it's not because I'm long winded. I don't have this problem with other people, and, in fact, I witness her doing this with other people when I really am interested to hear what the other person has to say, but isn't allowed to finish the story.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 08:14:08 AM »
I called her back and when she answered, I asked her if she had time to talk this time because she kind of rushed me off the phone last time.  She said, "I know I did..." in the tone of voice she uses when she wants to say more but can't, "but I can talk now."  We talked about what I had intended to speak the first time.  I can speculate why she couldn't talk but it really doesn't matter; we discussed what needed to be discussed and that was that.

Thanks for the help and for talking me through being a bit more butthurt than usual.

Great! May I speculate that she didn't want or couldn't talk money at that moment (perhaps in front of other people)?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 04:49:01 PM »

Great! May I speculate that she didn't want or couldn't talk money at that moment (perhaps in front of other people)?

She's at my sister's house and I have a feeling it has to do with being in front of my sister.  It's a bit complicated...
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

DollyPond

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 07:15:15 PM »

She's at my sister's house and I have a feeling it has to do with being in front of my sister.  It's a bit complicated...

This reminds me of the time when my father was staying with my brother and SIL after Hurricane Katrina.  My SIL is a pill at the best of times and Brother caters to her every whim. 

I was talking with my Dad and he says "It's too noisy in here. Let me go outside and talk"  Once he got outside he says "I can't stand living with these people.  Can I come and stay with you?"  I said of course he could but fortunately he was able to go back to his house a few days later.