Author Topic: s/o Food Dictators - Sleep Dictators  (Read 15580 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: s/o Food Dictators - Sleep Dictators
« Reply #165 on: March 05, 2013, 05:31:42 PM »
One of the greatest joys of moving into my apartment was knowing that I could turn off my phone and sleep as late as I wanted on my days off.  One of the perks of buying a house (closing 2 weeks from tomorrow!) is going to be not hearing the neighbors who are somehow both night owls (yelling at each other at 2am) and early birds (yelling at each other at 8am the next morning)...

We have a house.  Sometimes, the loud thumping vehicularadios drive by (or double park!) at 2AM.

I cannot wait until we get out of this [REDACTED]hole.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #166 on: March 05, 2013, 05:49:45 PM »
MrTango, congratulations on buying your home.

Depending on how close your neighbors are, you can expect very early morning landscaping, and very late night outside parties, and screeching tires on the street. Welcome to the joys of home ownership.   ;)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #167 on: March 05, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
Our town gets relatively quiet after dark and during the spring and summer I'm able to sit on our porch with a glass of wine and just enjoy the quiet and the stars, on a nice night. 

Then there are nights when our neighbor's friends decide to drive past and blast the horn.  ::) Our next door neighbors are very nice folks but some of their friends, while also nice, aren't always the most considerate. I think it's more just not being aware rather than deliberately rude.

And people tossing empty drink/food containers over our fence as they walk home from the ice cream shop.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Take2

« Reply #168 on: March 06, 2013, 03:20:58 PM »
My mother is a sleep dictator. I had blanked it from my mind from childhood. Recently, listening to her detailed whining about how she hasn't been able to control her roommate's sleeping habits to her satisfaction have brought it all back. When she wants to sleep, the entire home must be 100% silent and ANY noise will be met by an angry diatribe. There isn't even a set schedule, these rules apply equally to an impromptu nap, a decision to sleep in or a decision to turn in early. But whenever she decides to be awake, THAT is the correct time to be awake, and she should be free to make as much noise as she likes. The grand sighs and dramatic gestures of martyrdom that she used to make in my home when I asked her to keep noise down while our infant slept were kind of hilarious.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #169 on: March 06, 2013, 04:51:28 PM »
My bf used to be more of a sleep dictator than he is now. Heís one of those "we should go to bed at the same time kinds of people", so we usually do, as he doesnít want to go to bed without me. He is fine with my reading or using my laptop in bed for the hour or so that it takes before Iím also ready to go to bed (although it took a while to get him to that point, too).

I think I finally got it through to him that itís completely his preference that we do that, not mine, when a few weeks ago I was really tired and just went to bed on my own. In the morning he seemed completely befuddled, but hasn't bothered me about turning in at the exact same time since.

Our dog, however, has his schedule and is serious about itósometimes more than others. He thinks it is time to start getting into bed by 10pm, and lights off by 11. One night, he started barking at me, but wouldnít lay down like he does when he needs to go out. I finally put down the iPad to get up and take him out anyhow, and as soon as the light went out, he went back to his spot on the bed, laid down, and went to sleep. If we are in the den watching tv and computing much past 10, heíll start barking at us to tell us it is time to go to bed, and when we ignore him, heíll pull the most dramatic flop and sigh onto the nearest comfy spot.

He also insists on going out around 7:30 in the morning, but 98% of the time is willing to wait for my SO to shower and dress for work (which coincides with that time). Then, the dog is content to come back to bed and sleep until I get up for work an hour or more later (and sometimes isnít really happy that he has to leave the nice comfy pre-warmed bed for his kennel. The fact that there is kibble involved in between is surely the only reason he deigns to behave). He pretty much does the same thing on weekends, since my SO and I are about two hours off, time-wiseóhe rarely stays up with my SO in the mornings.

Unfortunately, there are a few weekday mornings here and there that his schedule changes and he does not want to go back to bed, and thus Iím not allowed to either since SO has already left for the day.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #170 on: March 06, 2013, 05:02:20 PM »
My mother is a sleep dictator. I had blanked it from my mind from childhood. Recently, listening to her detailed whining about how she hasn't been able to control her roommate's sleeping habits to her satisfaction have brought it all back. When she wants to sleep, the entire home must be 100% silent and ANY noise will be met by an angry diatribe. There isn't even a set schedule, these rules apply equally to an impromptu nap, a decision to sleep in or a decision to turn in early. But whenever she decides to be awake, THAT is the correct time to be awake, and she should be free to make as much noise as she likes. The grand sighs and dramatic gestures of martyrdom that she used to make in my home when I asked her to keep noise down while our infant slept were kind of hilarious.

Wow, that's... I actually don't have the words for that.  "Snowflake" just seems too mild...

Take2

« Reply #171 on: March 06, 2013, 08:02:22 PM »
Indeed, my mother seems to strive to take snowflake status to new heights in all areas. Sleep dictator, world's most entitled houseguest, self-centered party guest, demanding borrower of all things, it's-always-all-about-me princess. I am always flattered when people who know me meet her and ask how I possibly ended up normal :)