Author Topic: s/o Food Dictators - Sleep Dictators  (Read 15442 times)

gen xer

Re: s/o Food Dictators - Sleep Dictators
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2013, 08:12:19 AM »
People's sleep patterns change over time and circumstances too....I know mine have been all over the map depending on whether I was young and in school, working shifts and now working a straight days job.  I have found that I consistently need about 8 hours of sleep more or less to function well.

I find a lot of people fight their circumstances and needs - I have met a lot of those types who like to brag about only sleeping for 2-3 hours a night - for different reasons - the "sleep is for the weak" type, the "my life is just so full I don't have time to sleep" type, the "mother martyr" type think that being sleep deprived is a motherhood badge of honour etc....but they are often complaining about their exhaustion, getting sick and run-down etc.  Far be it from me to tell someone what to do but I don't have a lot of sympathy for the ones who complain endlessly about how tired they are but keep up the same patterns.  Sure - we all get tired and sometimes circumstances are out of out control - but a lot of times they are in our control.

I could stay out until 3:30 am with my friends but it destroys the next day for me so I don't do it anymore.  Sometimes you just have to know when to call it a night and not let anyone else cajole you into staying later.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2013, 08:21:48 AM »
I've been on the edge of insomnia for most of my life.  I tend to think that sleep is a waste of time because my brain often refuses to shut down.

I went without sleep for months a few years ago for reasons some people here might remember.  It has taken me until now to recover from it.

The only real sleep dictator I ever paid any attention to was my beloved Tiger, who died last year.  Starting at about 10:30 he would come into the living room, stay near the corridor to the bedroom, and stare at me.  He'd meow if I looked up.   Although he didn't lean on me in bed he'd want me to be there.  I still miss him.

spookycatlady

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2013, 08:35:48 AM »
The Dude is constantly teasing me about my early bedtime-- to him.  I try to be in bed by 10:00 PM every night.  The alarm goes off at 4:30 and I already think 10:00 PM is too late to be staying up.  But the teasing.

Also, with a 4:30 wake up, I have exactly the right amount of time to get ready in the morning and get to the bus stop on time.  There is about a five minute window to account for bad hair, coffee related disasters, or wardrobe issues.  I can have one morning incident, but not all three.  If my morning is nice and smooth, I make an extra cup of coffee to go.

When, for whatever reason, the Dude gets up at the same time as me, he gets exasperated with me because I seem so rushed (he's often in the way).  I have lost track of how many times he has chittered, "But if you only got up earlier... gave yourself more time..."  And yet, the night before, "Why are you going to bed so early?"

He *insists* that he is logical.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2013, 09:00:04 AM »
I am lucky that I live alone, so no one to dictate my sleep. And when I visit my mom, she is much like I am, so there isn't any Sleep Dictator-like behavior.  I used to be a morning person; I'd get up, and be on my merry way, Sundays were laundromat day, which opened at 7. I'd go, put my stuff in, then walk across the street and get coffee and breakfast, and be done and back home before 9!  And on Sat I was up and out doing errands since I prefer to be out and back before the masses.

However, for the last 7+ years I've had a second job so I'm always tired. I am no longer a morning person, and am quite unpleasant without my coffee. Not mean, but just foggy and unable to concentrate or speak in complete sentences. I'm more of a night owl now. But like others, I can't go to bed earlier than my "normal" bedtime, or it throws me off, unless I'm sick. My normal time is between 11-11:30 - although I have been known to stay up until 12:30.  Last Sat I was in bed by 10, and wide awake at 3:15.

My problem is sometimes I don't get home from my second job utnil almost 10, and I need at least 2 hours to unwind and decompress. I will also get caught up in a game, book, etc. and won't want to stop and go to bed. So then I'm tired the next day.  And on the other end, it takes me a couple of hours to get going and become functional in the morning. I do ok for work, but on weekends, rather than sleeping in, I prefer to get up, have my coffee and "putter" for a couple of hours. this way I still have most of the day, and I get to wake up on my own schedule.

If I do sleep in late, I still need that putter time, so by the time that's done, the day is half over.

Girlie

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2013, 09:59:05 AM »
I had a roommate in college that did that. At the time, I went to school during normal hours and worked evening hours during the week, but pulled an overnight shift on Fridays and Saturdays. Naturally, I slept most of the day Saturday and Sunday.

She didn't understand why I wasn't ready to get up and go to church with her every Sunday morning. The fact that I had been working and was exhausted from the continous change in sleep patterns never seemed to register with her.

suzieQ

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2013, 10:05:17 AM »
People's sleep patterns change over time and circumstances too....I know mine have been all over the map depending on whether I was young and in school, working shifts and now working a straight days job.  I have found that I consistently need about 8 hours of sleep more or less to function well.

I find a lot of people fight their circumstances and needs - I have met a lot of those types who like to brag about only sleeping for 2-3 hours a night - for different reasons - the "sleep is for the weak" type, the "my life is just so full I don't have time to sleep" type, the "mother martyr" type think that being sleep deprived is a motherhood badge of honour etc....but they are often complaining about their exhaustion, getting sick and run-down etc.  Far be it from me to tell someone what to do but I don't have a lot of sympathy for the ones who complain endlessly about how tired they are but keep up the same patterns.  Sure - we all get tired and sometimes circumstances are out of out control - but a lot of times they are in our control.

I could stay out until 3:30 am with my friends but it destroys the next day for me so I don't do it anymore.  Sometimes you just have to know when to call it a night and not let anyone else cajole you into staying later.

I'm a "mother martyr" unfortunately. Since J was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in 2010 I had to get up multiple times in the night to check his blood glucose. Too low and he could die. Too high and he could suffer the "standard" complications of diabetes down the road. Amputations, etc.
Would love to sleep in and can do a bit more of it now that he wears a continuous glucose monitor. It buzzes if he is high or low and the new one has enough signal strength that I can put it on my nightstand to keep an eye on him overnight. Of course, sometimes it buzzes 6 times a night!

I don't usually complain about it, but I have done a few facebook posts on it, and I'm sure there are people who think I'm making a big deal out of nothing. But since I have known (from facebook) about 15 kids who died from overnight lows since 2010, it's not something I'm going to change.
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2013, 10:10:14 AM »
For a lot of people, it's not as simple as just going to bed earlier. I generally sleep pretty well, and do just fine on about 7 hours a night. But unless I'm actually sick, it's difficult to impossible for me to fall asleep before 11:00 pm. And I am not at my best first thing in the morning. I do attempt to be civil, at least, but it's not the time to have serious conversations or ask me to make decisions.

I did a lot of third shift work in college, and adapted to it very well. I suspect that I'd handle working nights quite well even now. If I were allowed to do what would work best for my body, I'd probably be up until about 1:00 - 2:00 am, and sleeping until around 9:00 - 10:00.

I am on board with you there. I dread the day my contract changes. Right now, my job allows me to come in based on customer needs, and the customer doesn't need me til 9am. It's *wonderful* to be able to sleep in past 7. My body tends to go into emergency mode when I have to get up before the sun is up  - I can't eat anything, and I tend to feel nervous and nauseated. DH tries to be sympathetic, but he's a teacher, and can't really hang out with me until 1am when I want to go to bed.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2013, 10:11:15 AM »
My parents were pretty judgmental about sleep.  Up early and down early were considered virtuous, sleeping late was "lazy," and "nothing good happens after midnight."

My father was like that.  He grew up on a farm without electricity so 'going to bed with the chickens' was the rule.  If I slept until 8AM on a Saturday, he'd dramatically announce that 'the sun drove me out!'

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2013, 10:30:40 AM »
I haven't read the other thread. Can someone give me some examples of what a sleep dictator does? I'm picturing my control freak relative standing in her guest bedroom door pointing a finger at me while I'm bundled up in her guest bed ordering me (yelling at me) "You must sleep 7.2 hours!", turning out the light & closing the door.

My sleep dictator likes to sit on my chest and rub his chin on my nose and generally poke me until I give him some loving. His cute furry face and whiskers ensure that he is not thrown from the bed although I do tell him it is sleepy time and we need some sleep within a few minutes. He usually accepts that and curls up for a nap next to me. or jumps off to chase imaginary prey throughout the house.

I have one like that too, only she jumps up onto the bed and will lick any exposed skin, sometimes nipping it, until the wearer of said skin finally has had enough of the tickling and hides the hand or face, or they get up.   

DH isn't really much of a dictator but he whines about me being a morning person.  Mind you I don't pester him to get out of bed unless there's good reason to do so, such as he agreed to go to church on a Sunday morning or there's something we planned to do for which we have to get up fairly early.   Honestly I kind of like when I'm the first and only one up cause it gives me some peace and quiet, and it doesn't bother me that he likes to sleep in. 

One day, I think it was last year, the day before Mother's Day, we went out to get something and the cashier asked the boys if they'd be making breakfast in bed for mom the next day.  DH said "Well we WOULD if she would sleep in, or at least stay in bed long enough for us to serve her breakfast in bed!"  Sorry, but once I'm awake, I have to get up.  I don't mean I'm up like a pop tart once my eyes open but after a bit of a stretch, I'm up. 

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Susiqzer

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2013, 12:46:47 PM »
DH isn't really much of a dictator but he whines about me being a morning person.  Mind you I don't pester him to get out of bed unless there's good reason to do so, such as he agreed to go to church on a Sunday morning or there's something we planned to do for which we have to get up fairly early.  Honestly I kind of like when I'm the first and only one up cause it gives me some peace and quiet, and it doesn't bother me that he likes to sleep in. 

I can't count the number of times I've posted "Enjoying a quiet cup of coffee before everyone wakes up" on Facebook at 5 AM, and instantly had 15 "likes" from other early-rising moms. :)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »
The only real sleep dictator I ever paid any attention to was my beloved Tiger, who died last year.  Starting at about 10:30 he would come into the living room, stay near the corridor to the bedroom, and stare at me.  He'd meow if I looked up.   Although he didn't lean on me in bed he'd want me to be there.  I still miss him.

That made me sad. :(  I'm sorry for your loss.

gen xer

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2013, 12:55:58 PM »

I'm a "mother martyr" unfortunately. Since J was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in 2010 I had to get up multiple times in the night to check his blood glucose. Too low and he could die. Too high and he could suffer the "standard" complications of diabetes down the road. Amputations, etc.
Would love to sleep in and can do a bit more of it now that he wears a continuous glucose monitor. It buzzes if he is high or low and the new one has enough signal strength that I can put it on my nightstand to keep an eye on him overnight. Of course, sometimes it buzzes 6 times a night!

I don't usually complain about it, but I have done a few facebook posts on it, and I'm sure there are people who think I'm making a big deal out of nothing. But since I have known (from facebook) about 15 kids who died from overnight lows since 2010, it's not something I'm going to change.

That sounds like an example of circumstances out of your control which is no fault of your own - of course you have to check on him or the consequences are disastrous....the ones I refer to are the type that don't enforce good sleep habits in their kids....but then I'm a mean mom  ;)  So I've been told.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2013, 01:03:47 PM »
Thanks, DottyG.  He was a darling.

mmswm

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2013, 01:58:32 PM »

That sounds like an example of circumstances out of your control which is no fault of your own - of course you have to check on him or the consequences are disastrous....the ones I refer to are the type that don't enforce good sleep habits in their kids....but then I'm a mean mom  ;)  So I've been told.

Thanks for clarifying.  I've been through what SizueQ has with my middle son.  Thankfully, it does get better with time, though there are some transition periods when the child hits a growth spurt.  Normally I can check his sugar at midnight and then he can check it himself when he wakes up at 6am.  He's an early riser and doesn't even wake up when I go in at midnight.  I've also had sleep issues when the other two have had surgery or dealing with the issues that would eventually lead to surgery. 

However, I'm a "no kids past 9pm" person (7pm when they were little).  I don't care if they read in their rooms for an hour or so, but I get my quiet time, thank you very much!
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2013, 02:03:35 PM »
Speaking of feline sleep dictators, when I stayed with a friend for a week, I slept on the hide-a-bed in the parlor and she of course slept in her room upstairs. There was a screen door that kept her big gray tomcat downstairs during the night because otherwise he wouldn't let the other male cat sleep, which meant friend wouldn't sleep.

Every morning at 7am I'd hear MEOWRR! MEOWRR!! MEOWRR!!! We affectionately called him the big furry alarm clock. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata