General Etiquette > Life...in general

s/o Food Dictators - Sleep Dictators

<< < (2/35) > >>

Just Lori:
My idea of a perfect Friday evening at home is grabbing a good book, putting on my jammies by 9, reading until I fall asleep and sleeping until whatever hour on Saturday I choose to wake up.

My husband's idea of a perfect Friday evening at home is watching a good sporting event or a movie and staying up as late as he can, because it's Friday.

Theoretically, we should just declare a truce.  He can watch TV and I can go to bed.  But whenver I want to retire early, he gets all sad and says, "Why are you going to bed so early?  Why can't you stay up with me?"

Diane AKA Traska:

--- Quote from: Ginger G on February 26, 2013, 04:55:42 PM ---When my significant other first moved in, our different sleep schedules was quite a bone of contention for us.  I work 8 to 5 and have to up no later than 6:30 to make it on work on time.  I like to go to bed early, usually around 9:30 or so, not necessarily to go to sleep right away, but to read or watch tv and start winding down.  My BF on the other hand is something of a night owl, and due to his work schedule can sleep in to 9:00 or so in the mornings.  For months, he just could not understand why I wanted to go to bed so early and would get highly offended, as if I were doing it to get away from him.  We would actually argue about it on a regular basis.  He would make me feel guilty, so I would end up staying up later and be really irritable the next day at work.  Finally one day the subject came up in front of my parents, and my mom said "Well, Ginger G has always liked going to bed early, even as a child!"  I guess it finally clicked for him, and now I can go to bed when I want with no complaints from him!

--- End quote ---

Since I coined the phrase, I likened food to sleep, in that it's something we have to do daily, and something many people derive pleasure from, so I made the analogy that a food dictator would be like a sleep dictator; that is, someone who tell you that you WILL go to bed at this time, and wake up at this time, and you'll sleep in this room, and you'll sleep in these bedclothes, and no backtalk!

GratefulMaria:
My parents were pretty judgmental about sleep.  Up early and down early were considered virtuous, sleeping late was "lazy," and "nothing good happens after midnight."

wolfie:

--- Quote from: NotTheNarcissist on February 26, 2013, 05:09:10 PM ---I haven't read the other thread. Can someone give me some examples of what a sleep dictator does? I'm picturing my control freak relative standing in her guest bedroom door pointing a finger at me while I'm bundled up in her guest bed ordering me (yelling at me) "You must sleep 7.2 hours!", turning out the light & closing the door.

--- End quote ---

My sleep dictator likes to sit on my chest and rub his chin on my nose and generally poke me until I give him some loving. His cute furry face and whiskers ensure that he is not thrown from the bed although I do tell him it is sleepy time and we need some sleep within a few minutes. He usually accepts that and curls up for a nap next to me. or jumps off to chase imaginary prey throughout the house.

Diane AKA Traska:

--- Quote from: GratefulMaria on February 26, 2013, 05:21:43 PM ---My parents were pretty judgmental about sleep.  Up early and down early were considered virtuous, sleeping late was "lazy," and "nothing good happens after midnight."

--- End quote ---

I once watched a hockey game that lasted eight hours (quintuple overtime!), and ended at 3AM.

That wasn't good.  It was AWESOME.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version