Author Topic: s/o Food Dictators - Sleep Dictators  (Read 15490 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: s/o Food Dictators - Sleep Dictators
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2013, 02:43:36 PM »
DH isn't really much of a dictator but he whines about me being a morning person.  Mind you I don't pester him to get out of bed unless there's good reason to do so, such as he agreed to go to church on a Sunday morning or there's something we planned to do for which we have to get up fairly early.  Honestly I kind of like when I'm the first and only one up cause it gives me some peace and quiet, and it doesn't bother me that he likes to sleep in. 

I can't count the number of times I've posted "Enjoying a quiet cup of coffee before everyone wakes up" on Facebook at 5 AM, and instantly had 15 "likes" from other early-rising moms. :)

Even though its just me, that's my favorite time on the weekends; getting up early, and just enjoying my coffee and waking up.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2013, 02:43:58 PM »
Earlier in life I was a morning person and never took naps. Somewhere along the line, that  changed and I would describe myself as a moderate night person these days, though on weekends I become much more nocturnal. Actually, my sleep pattern is a bit odd, as I still get up early on weekends and feed animals and do chores, but after that I go back to bed.

About the only time I sleep through a night is when I'm sick and I often wake up more than once. Much to the amusement of husband, former roommates, and the like, no matter when someone wakes me up I'm fully functioning and articulate, as if I'd been awake for hours. I'm told it's a bit creepy.  ;D

My husband is pretty much incapable of sleeping late and gets up at about the same time on weekdays and weekends. He used to bug me about sleeping late on the weekends until I finally did the math for him and proved to him that on average, he gets a lot more sleep than I do. He still occasionally makes comments about my weekend rising time, so I remind him of all the times he's fallen asleep on the sofa at 8:30 p.m.

Esan ozenki!

Arizona

mmswm

« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2013, 02:48:51 PM »
We do have a very large, furry sleep dictator.  Baxter puts himself at the end of the hallway where the kids' bedrooms are and lays across it so they can't get past the bathroom in the middle of the night.  He's figured out when bedtime is and starts shuffling the kids down the hallway when it's time for bed.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

tjika

« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2013, 03:09:49 PM »
I have to confess I'm my own sleep dictator. I'm more of a night person but need to get up at 6:00 and 6:30 for work. Through experience I know I need about 8 hours of sleep. so during the week I make myself go to bed between 9 and 9:30 and have time to read a little. And in the weekend I only allow myself about 2 hours extra at night so as not to throw of my schedule too much.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2013, 03:26:08 PM »
I still remember when, after graduating from college, and getting my first job, how hard it was to regulate my sleep and wake times. I was so used to staying up late, going to class, coming back and taking a nap, getting up for swim practice, and then starting all over again.  But when I had to be at work at 8 sharp, those first few weeks it was hard making myself get to bed at a decent hour!

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2013, 04:11:23 PM »
My sister was a real dictator. she used to use food and sleep to control me.
Mum and Dad would go out and she would be "left in charge"
I would be in bed before they went (9pm) as I was up at 5 so I could leave the house before she got up, and she would regularly come and get me out of bed and make me do things. like sort her laundry or hold something while it dried (her art work for school) or any number of other things. Then send me to bed 5 minuets before mum and dad got home at about 1.30am. I was still up and out before she got up though so she didn't completely win.

I am actually a real night owl by choice.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2013, 05:48:19 PM »
MY DD's grandparents are a little bit of sleep dictators. 

When my 2.5 year old daughter stays with my MIL, my MIL "claims" DD wakes up at 6:30am when MIL does.  2.5 hours earlier than usual.  I don't think so!  So, we end up with a grumpy daughter.  DH laid down the law with her, but I suspect she just stopped telling us. 

I blame her for not training her kids on how to sleep.  She would put the kids to bed WAY before they were ready.  She even admits it was because she was tired of spending time with them, and she even suggested that tactic to me.  So, they piddled around for HOURS before they went to sleep.  Into Junior High, she was insisting they went to bed at 7pm.  DH needs so much unwind time that 2am is early for him.  It is the main bone of contention in our marriage.  I spend more time sleeping alone than with him.  I can adjust to any schedule, as long as it is consistent, but I have to be at work at normal times.

My folks get a little pissy about sleep when we visit.  They are retired and take a nap every day.  I need a consistent schedule and work full-time, so I can't nap.  They refuse to postpone their noon nap until 2pm when DD takes a nap.  Which is fine, but they shouldn't get pissy about not seeing her because she has to go down for her nap shortly after they wake up from theirs. 

nuit93

« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2013, 07:07:19 PM »
I'm a..."sleep" person.

Pretty much no matter how early I get to sleep, I can easily sleep until 10-11 if no one wakes me.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2013, 07:21:06 PM »
Oh, how I hate the sleep dictators.

Everyone I know thinks it is absolutely ridiculous that I go to bed between 9-10:30pm.  I typically get up around 6-6:30am.  Though, I can stay up later, it's not a good idea.  I really need 8-9 hours sleep time because I'm a grumpy, hateful Female Dog if I only get 7 hours.  It is common place for me to sleepwalk, so without that extra sleep time padding I feel like I haven't slept at all...and Deity forbid anyone wake me up before I'm ready to get up.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

AngelBarchild

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2013, 07:54:28 PM »
My mother can not wrap her head around the fact that not every one works a day job with weekends off. My hubby works 3 pm to 11 pm and has Tuesdays and Wednesday off. Because of this we get up in at 2 in the afternoon. My Mother will still call at 10 am on Saturday to see if we want to go do something. She's constantly saying "Well why don't you guys just  go to bed when he gets home, and then get up in the morning"? Because everyone wants to get up 8 hours before work. I'd think she just forgot if our schedule hadn't been the same for the last 10 years.

Emmy

« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2013, 08:22:25 PM »
Sleep sadists drive me crazy.  When I was pregnant with DD, people delighted in telling me that I would never sleep again.  It was pretty upsetting because I am a person who needs about 8 hours of sleep a day and the thought of being sleep deprived for days, weeks,  years on end was scary.  The first few weeks were rough, but DD is now an excellent sleeper.  We are expecting #2 and I hope it will be more of the same.  I feel bad for people whose kids are pre-schoolers and have never been good sleepers or who like to get up at 5:00 a.m.

I agree that people tend to think of early to bed/early to rise as virtuous and late to bed/sleeps late as lazy even if they sleep the same number of hours.  At the end of the day, I am exhausted and just collapse into bed.  In the morning, I can get going fairly quickly as long as I get enough sleep.  DH is the opposite, he is a night owl who has trouble falling asleep and it takes him a while to feel fully awake in the morning.   

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2013, 09:10:55 PM »
My parents always thought DH and I were being ridiculous with enforcing regular bedtimes for our older two when they were toddlers.  We were flexible with holidays like New Year's Eve or other celebrations but on a day to day basis they were to be in bed at 8.  She'd even call around 7:30 or right at 8 when she knew I'd be tucking them in and pout when I'd say "Can't talk, I'll call you back when the boys are in bed, Mom" and would hang up and call her later and she'd fuss about how it would have only taken a few minutes!!

Mind you with her a few minutes would turn into an hour at least.  ::)  Oddly these people were very strict with bedtimes with myself and my brother, insisting we each got a full 8 hours of sleep. When I went off to college I enjoyed not having anyone tell me when to go to bed or when to get up. I'd just naturally turn in around midnight and wake up between 7:30 and 8.

They also didn't seem to see what the big deal was with waking middle child up early.  MIL, who watched them during the day for a bit, definitely got it!  When oldest would come home from daycare it was always when his brother was taking a nap and MIL had to pick him up at the corner and didn't want to leave the younger one alone asleep so she had no choice but to wake him up and oh boy was he grouchy!!! Having seen it myself I believed her and we just avoided waking him up early from naps if we could avoid it at all.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Shea

« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2013, 09:52:52 PM »
I used to think my former roommate and I lived in different time zones. Left to my own devices, I'll go to bed at around 11:30, and wake up between 8:30 and 9:30. Roommate, however, would go to bed at around 3:00, and wake up around 12:30 or 1:00. This meant that on weekends we had a lot of time where one of us was awake and the other was asleep. Roommate was, unfortunately, the type who didn't much care if she disturbed other people, but if she was disturbed, it was a federal case. She'd get annoyed at me for making noise in the kitchen at 11:00 on a weekend morning (not lots of noise, mind you, just normal cooking noise), but would regularly come in with friends at 2:30 in the morning, talk loudly, slam doors and play music, and then seem confused when I stumbled out of my room to ask them to keep it down.

I'm so glad I live alone now. When BF is over, he'll sleep until 12:00 sometimes, but me being up at least 3 hours earlier doesn't bother him. The cat, of course, enjoys jumping on my head in the morning, but if I ignore her she gives up and goes to sleep again.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Miss Tickle

« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2013, 10:25:09 PM »
DH and I have different sleep needs, and he is very considerate at home, but once upon a time he narrowly avoided a fatal car accident (with multiple victims) when he fell asleep driving through the mountains.  Now at least one person other than the driver MUST stay awake in the car at all times, just in case. We vacation by car most of the time, as well as driving to the farm for either seeding or harvest (or both) which is a 3000km round trip. I get carsick, and until I met DH, the most effective means to combat that was sleep. Now I not allowed to nod off for a minute, and I can't do anything that takes too much attention away from the windscreen like read or watch a movie or I'll be sick. He's a total sleep dictator, only just in the car.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2013, 12:19:49 AM »
I'm weird when it comes to sleep.  I seem to cycle between bouts of insomnia and hypersomnia, and managing a sleep schedule is pretty much impossible.  I've made peace with the fact that I'll be a zombie some days because I laid in bed awake all night (or day, when I was on night shift).  In general, though, I'm a night owl, and this has caused some interesting arguments over the years. 

I figured, as long as I got out of bed and showed up to work on time, and pulled my weight around the house, I was in the clear.  Ehh, not so much.  My dad stayed out of it, but my mom would wake me up during the days where I had to sleep for work (or on my days off) to ask me questions that really could have waited until later.  Or, she just wanted me to get up so that she could "see" me from time to time.  Finally, after working nine days in a row because of an unusual scheduling situation, and being unable to get adequate sleep (no sleep for the last two days of this), I was finally able to nod off.  Three hours into it, my mom knocked on my bedroom door to ask me if I was getting up for dinner.  I'm sort of embarrassed that I burst into tears at that point, and we finally had an overdue discussion.  Since then, it hasn't been nearly as bad.  :)