Author Topic: Loud sneezing  (Read 5593 times)

Specky

Re: Loud sneezing
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 06:11:01 PM »
My Father sounds like he is yelling HORSE POOPADITIES when he sneezes, and he has allergies, so he sneezes a lot.  Sneezes would be followed by another expletive, under his breath, because he couldn't control it and it got him loads of unwanted attention. He said that was why he eventually quit going to church.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 06:15:01 PM »
Honestly? I don't think that I've ever tried to control my sneeze.

Something to think about next time I feel the urge.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 06:17:05 PM »
Be careful about trying to control it too much.

There was a time when I was younger that I tried to hold sneezes in and burst my eardrum as a result.  That pressure has to go somewhere - if it's not out, it's in the ear.  When the doctor heard what I'd been trying to do, he chastised me.

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 06:24:14 PM »
I have loud sneezes and bad allergies.  They will come sometimes 10 in a row.  They are also extremely painful because my entire body sneezes and my nose and eyes hurt. 

The one time I tried to keep my sneezes and keep them quiet(I was trying not to annoy my officemates) quiet I threw my back out for a week.  I had to hold my body in a painfully rigid position, hunch over and cover my face.  I sneezed ten times in a row and I was crying and in pain.  Boss told me I didn't have to do that ever again, the office could deal.

BF will hold me during an allergy attack so I don't pinch any nerves in my neck or back like I have before.
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

katycoo

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 06:25:47 PM »
Generally speaking, my sneezes are... enthusiastic.

In certain settings, I will try to control them (ie, during the vows at a wedding) and this often works but when it doesn't, its REALLY painful which is why I don't od it unnecessarily.

I think think one you just need to let go.

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 06:25:53 PM »
I've been told I have a dainty sneeze.  I've been lectured by people telling me that I shouldn't hold in my sneezes, and I'm going to blow out my ears.  But it's just how I sneeze.  I'm not trying to be quiet about it, it's just that I am.

My husband's sneeze is very loud.  (When my daughter was a baby, she used to cry every time Daddy sneezed.)  He can no more change the way he sneezes than I can change the way I do.  A sneeze is a sneeze.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 06:29:01 PM »
I will try to control them (ie, during the vows at a wedding) and this often works but when it doesn't

There is an old wives tale (that I've actually found works a lot of times) that you can press the area underneath your nose, above your lip to temporarily delay a sneeze.  It's just a temporary thing, but it sure helps if you're in a situation like wedding vows!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 06:33:16 PM »
I have a loud sneeze.  I've had a few people startle when I've sneezed.  But I can't help it and if I try to hold them back, it really hurts.  I know CPR; if the loudness of my sneeze gives someone a heart attack, I can save them.   ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 06:38:07 PM »
I will try to control them (ie, during the vows at a wedding) and this often works but when it doesn't

There is an old wives tale (that I've actually found works a lot of times) that you can press the area underneath your nose, above your lip to temporarily delay a sneeze.  It's just a temporary thing, but it sure helps if you're in a situation like wedding vows!

I think I read on some old Ehell thread that when you feel a sneeze coming on, just say or think "bless you" and you will stop/delay the sneeze.  I tried it as an experiment and it worked a few times.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 06:43:17 PM »
Be careful about trying to control it too much.

There was a time when I was younger that I tried to hold sneezes in and burst my eardrum as a result.  That pressure has to go somewhere - if it's not out, it's in the ear.  When the doctor heard what I'd been trying to do, he chastised me.

Yes absolutely.
Funny thing, I sneezed twice after I read this thread...psychosomatic? ;) The first one caught me by surprise. The second one I did not try and suppress or control because of the risk mentioned above, but I did bury my mouth very tight into the crook of my elbow (which I believe a recent study says is the best thing to do, especially if you are sneezing because of an illness and not an allergy). So you can't control force (or rather it may not be safe to), but with enough warning you can try and control volume. ;D
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 07:17:43 PM »
Rose red, your idea sparked my starting a thread in the Coffee Break folder on Old Wives' Tales!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 07:30:04 PM »
Rose red, your idea sparked my starting a thread in the Coffee Break folder on Old Wives' Tales!

Going to check it out now.  I love old wives tales!

snowdragon

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 07:38:51 PM »
It's a natural function that can't be helped. One of my former co-workers burst an ear drum trying to quiet his sneezes. I am sorry if it gets annoying but I am not bursting an eardrum because my  sneezes annoy anyone ( do you hear me mother?)  I wish I could be the quiet sneezer that some are - it embarrasses me too.

citadelle

• fully functional & aesthetically pleasing
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 07:45:55 PM »
Smoking increses the volume and intensity of a sneeze. There are also medications that depress lung function and therefore result in fewer, but more intense sneezes.

Some people say that looking into the sun or a light will encourage a sneeze. For me, it is just the opposite. I need darkness if I can get it for the sneeze to come. I've been known to step into a closet when one is available!

LazyDaisy

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2013, 07:51:25 PM »
My surefire way to cause a sneeze is Altoids. Every. Single. Time.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams