Author Topic: Loud sneezing  (Read 6245 times)

misha412

Re: Loud sneezing
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2013, 08:06:59 PM »
My sneezes are very loud and usually come out of the blue. (Allergens and rapid temperature changes trigger them). I try to suppress them in public, but it sounds like a muffled exploding cat. If I can feel a sneeze coming, I will try to remove myself so as not to startle people, etc. But often times, there is no time to move.

Shea

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2013, 08:24:44 PM »
I don't think most most people can control their sneezes. I know I can't, but mine aren't that loud. They aren't exactly little delicate things, but they're normal volume, I guess?

I have a colleague whose desk is near mine, and he sneezes so loudly that, yes, I always jump involuntarily. But I don't think he can do anything about it, so I just deal. That would be my advice for the OP too.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2013, 09:22:11 PM »
I likewise have pretty enthusiastic sneezes.  In fact, I once sneezed so hard that I got a concussion (in sneezing, I hit my head on an upright piano).  I really can't suppress mine, and I sneeze pretty much the same way regardless of circumstances.  When I get a series sneeze going (which is allergy related), about the only way I can stop is by blowing my nose.

I'll try to get away from groups of people, but sometimes the sneeze is *there* before I can react.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 09:28:41 PM »
Some of my sneezes are normal and some of them are very loud. They seem to originate deep in my lungs. I can feel them coming on, but there is nothing I can do to stop them. I' rather not have them, as they are so strong that they can hurt, but other than muffling them a bit with my hand, they are going to come and they are going to be loud. I wish I could sneeze in a more lady-like manner, instead of honking like a goose, but I can't.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Jones

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 09:33:26 PM »
I can muffle my sneezes, with a towel or my coat arm, but I cannot control them either. My husband and daughter can, and they get a kick out of the noises I make some days. I did try to control it once, and though I didn't blow my eardrum my ears did hurt a lot and I had a headache the rest of the day.

Miss Tickle

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 10:40:12 PM »
Ah yes, DH calls it the Samurai Sneeze. Ha-Kacha and scares the bejeezus out of you. (So named after our cat who was the loudest sneezer, but most quiet cat, ever).

If she's allergic and sneezing that much, can't she take an antihistamine? I hate this time of year, because my allergies are newish, and I don't know when it goes from having the flu to it's that time of year again.

StarFaerie

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 04:54:39 AM »
I can control my sneezes and have intentionally changed the sound of them so I say A-chee rather softly rather than A-choo loudly. It took years to change the automatic habit of my mouth shape and air flow during the sneeze but I think it was worth it as I am regularly told I have the cutest sneezes (yeah, I'm a bit vain about this but it really is the only feminine thing I can do, otherwise I'm just not ladylike at all)

However I think I may be one of a minority who have this option. From my discussions with others, this is not normal. Many people cannot control how they sneeze and they get very little warning. My ex-husband sneezed so violently it hurt him all over, if he could have stopped it, he would have.

So I don't think anyone can be expected to control it and, although annoying or shocking at times, I don't think failing to control it is rude.

Van down by the river

• This must be what going mad feels like.
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 04:58:55 AM »
There's something bothering me, OP. You say her sneezes annoy you, you clearly said something bc she tried to quiet them in front of you and when she did, you laughed at her? Maybe it's a "know your audience thing," but I find that to be pretty mean.

As for me, I have tiny sneezes. I sound like a mouse. ;D

ettiquit

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 08:43:38 AM »
There's something bothering me, OP. You say her sneezes annoy you, you clearly said something bc she tried to quiet them in front of you and when she did, you laughed at her? Maybe it's a "know your audience thing," but I find that to be pretty mean.

As for me, I have tiny sneezes. I sound like a mouse. ;D

Yes, she and I have talked about her sneezes.  When she tried to sneeze quietly, she did so because I was on a work call.  I should have included that she was also in tears from laughing so hard.  I had to stifle my laughter until I could get off the phone and then we both let loose.  ;D

ettiquit

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 08:46:46 AM »
A lot of interesting (and funny) responses here.  I definitely do understand and believe now that she can't control her sneezes, although a few people did mention sneezing into their arm, or a towel.  That sounds like it would really help control the volume of the sneeze, so maybe I'll try to figure out a polite way to suggest it to her.

SpottedPony

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2013, 09:36:50 AM »
My Dad and I have loud sneezes.  The difference between us is that his sneezes would scare his Jack Russell, Sparkey.  When Dad would sneeze, Sparkey would hide in the bathroom or under the computer table.  Dad would also does fake sneezes that sound just like his real ones, and Sparkey would run to him.  Even though my sneezes are just as loud, they didn't bother Sparkey in the slightest. Weird, huh?

Spotted Pony

cabbageweevil

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2013, 10:38:48 AM »
With humour being indicated as acceptable in this thread -- I seem to have Ogden Nash on the brain these days: one by him, touching on the subject, has come to mind.

A bugler named Dougal McDougal
Found ingenious ways to be frugal:
He learned how to sneeze
In various keys,
Thus saving the cost of a bugle.

mj

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2013, 11:33:24 AM »
My husband has a rather loud sneeze & a left over habit from childhood where he drags out the sound of the sneeze.  I wasn't sure if it was something that could be controlled or not until I mentioned it to him & he became aware of it.  Sure enough, it didn't hurt him to stop that dragging out noise, it was just a long running habit. 

Secret

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2013, 02:01:08 PM »
As a kid, I had nice and quiet sneezes.  As a teen, I developed allergies and now I sneeze loud-Always.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2013, 03:36:05 PM »
Some people say that looking into the sun or a light will encourage a sneeze.

That's a genetically determined trait and isn't true for everyone. It's called a photic sneeze. If I go from a dark environment to outside in bright sunlight, I'll almost always sneeze.

Esan ozenki!

Arizona