Author Topic: How brave are you? AKA: What was the most daring thing you've ever done?  (Read 5053 times)

Betelnut

Re: How brave are you? AKA: What was the most daring thing you've ever done?
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2013, 03:38:35 PM »
Physical bravery--not so much.

Other brave actions: 

Moving overseas to a small tropical island for a job.  Didn't know anyone, had never been there.
Moving to NYC after that by myself.
Adopting a kid on my own.
Buying a house on my own.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

padua

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2013, 03:52:46 PM »
i took boxing and sparred a girl who had 20 lbs on me. i came out of that one with a fat lip and a black eye.
flew an airplane.
parachuting and paragliding.
lived in africa where i skinned a goat and killed a chicken for dinner. i also tasted mopani worms (caterpillars), flying ants and goat intestine.
rode a camel when i lived in turkey.
went to east berlin which was terrifying in those days.
went backbacking through europe and ended up sleeping in bus stations and at the foot of waterfountains.
went to antartica and made out with a russian sailor.
stayed at a homeless shelter and got spit on.
did the shark cage thing and swam with sting ray.
had a baby.

TylerBelle

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2013, 04:14:34 PM »
We've got some brave souls on here with fascinating tales! ;D

I'm not much of a traveler. Love it, don't get much of an opportunity to do so. Though when I got the chance of going from home here in Texas to Oregon all by myself, I jumped on it. I've never done anything like that before (traveling that distance with just me). I met some friends there, but the to and from traveling was solo. Navigating through the airports, changing planes and then getting a rental car to drive through a major city (Portland)  and on to another city (Newport) was just so indescribable. And getting to see the Pacific Ocean for the first time took my breath away.

My aunt felt the need to scold me a little after I'd returned. She couldn't believe that I would do that all by myself. I don't care, there's not much I'd trade getting to go.
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

Reader

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2013, 04:23:05 PM »
I'm afraid of heights, or at least falling from heights.  I've sky dived twice, and done a climbing wall once.  Even managed to make it to the top and ring the bell.  Guess I was pretty good at climbing, because after I belayed down one of the spotters on my line asked if I wanted to do the next advanced wall.  I had warned them I was afraid of heights before I climbed, and he must have thought I was exaggerating, until I held both arms out and they were shaking so bad from adrenaline from being up that high so I declined.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2013, 04:28:24 PM »
Physical danger:  DH and I hiked out to watch the lava flow into the ocean on the Big Island of Hawaii 23 years ago.  They did not have all the safety practices back then that they use now.  We walked out on lava so hot it melted the bottoms of our boots.  We could see the red hot lava flowing beneath us through holes in the crust.  We stood out on a ledge and watched the flowing lava explode when the waves hit it.  We felt the sulfuric acid sticking to our hair.

Then we remembered that hydrogen sulfide is not good to breathe and ledges are temporary geological features and we headed back to somewhere safe.  The ledge we stood on back then has since collapsed into the ocean.  People die every couple of years because they were standing on a ledge when it collapsed.

It was totally awesome and I'll never do it again!

Non-physical:  Leave my home state and family to move to Hawaii with my new husband who I had known 7 months.  23 years later - best decision I ever made.  Sometimes you have to tell your rational brain to be quiet and listen to your gut. :-*
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2013, 04:33:22 PM »
Cage fighting.  I was down 5 points to 0, and something in me snapped.  I proceeded to beat the tar out of the other lady. 
I'll get there.  Eventually.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2013, 04:40:02 PM »
My husband and I force-fed a rattlesnake. Several times. He (the snake, not my husband) was a rehab case and wasn't eating on his own and the only vet in town who would see him was being treated for cancer, so I just had to deal with things myself until the vet got better. (He's been cancer-free for years now, by the way.)

Other than that sort of thing, I lead a fairly dull life.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

perpetua

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2013, 05:00:06 PM »
When I was in high school, two of the popular guys played a tasteless prank on our sweet Marketing & Distribution teacher. Normally a quiet, shy child, I was so incensed that I got up and ripped into the two guys and erased what they had done on the chalkboard. My M& D teacher was left confused but I walked back to my seat after telling her not to bother wondering about it. We moved on in class but my stomach was in knots afterward and I did wonder if there would be social repercussions but other than those two idiots leaving me alone, there wasn't.

The other way around: I stood up to a much-hated supply teacher who was mocking three girls in class for their weight. I was about 14 at the time. I went to the front of the class, squared up to him, got in his face and told him why he was wrong to do it and exactly what I thought of him in front of the whole class, then reported him. I was shaking like a leaf at the time and it probably wasn't EH approved, but I was so incensed I couldn't help myself. I was quite the class hero for a while after that.

Barney girl

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2013, 05:02:11 PM »
Abseiling off a viaduct when I was 17. It was fine once I got going, but climbing over the wall to start was nerve wracking as I felt I was observing myself and wondering if I would refuse. I think it was the presence of my classmates that made be go ahead.

One thing that surprises me is being told I'm brave about something when I don't see it as an issue. Over the last few years I've cycled along the Danube. The comments from colleagues is often "you are brave to do that". Why? There are good trains to get there, my bike is provided, hotels are booked, luggage taken on to the next stop, the route isn't strenuous and either I speak the language well enough to deal with problems (in Slovakia and Hungary I relied on German plus phrase book). It's not as though I was going into the wilderness, it's just a pleasant holiday with some exercise, so there's no bravery involved.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2013, 05:48:02 PM »
I posted my physical ones upthread.

Non-physical:  I'd been working in the same job for over 13 years.  2 more years and I'd be at 5 weeks vacation.  I moved to a city 1.5 hours away where I knew no one for a new job.  Back to minimum vacation, bottom of the totem pole, 12 weeks of training, learning a new job; ACK!

But I'm still there almost 9 years later.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2013, 06:00:08 PM »
- I take road trips on my own. I have driven in the mountains of Colorado. And in Los Angeles.
- I have traveled to foreign countries on my own. OK, so they were Canada and the Bahamas. But it was the French part of Canada- and I spoke French as much as I could! I have yet to drive in a foreign country- but that may change in the future.
- I have pet mice. I still know one too many persons who have an aversion- if not downright fear- of my favorite little critters.
- I was the one who pursued my boyfriend first ;) I am the bolder, more aggressive, more rebellious one- he is calmer, better with people and emotions, and more lawful.
- I speak in public, have been on stage many times (and that does not count doing programs at my job), and have worn costumes in public.
- I have had to knock on many doors in my life. Many were slammed on my face or just left unanswered. But the biggest one was finally answered after my persisting and insisted it be reopened :)
I have pet mice!

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2013, 06:05:03 PM »
When I was in high school, two of the popular guys played a tasteless prank on our sweet Marketing & Distribution teacher. Normally a quiet, shy child, I was so incensed that I got up and ripped into the two guys and erased what they had done on the chalkboard. My M& D teacher was left confused but I walked back to my seat after telling her not to bother wondering about it. We moved on in class but my stomach was in knots afterward and I did wonder if there would be social repercussions but other than those two idiots leaving me alone, there wasn't.

The other way around: I stood up to a much-hated supply teacher who was mocking three girls in class for their weight. I was about 14 at the time. I went to the front of the class, squared up to him, got in his face and told him why he was wrong to do it and exactly what I thought of him in front of the whole class, then reported him. I was shaking like a leaf at the time and it probably wasn't EH approved, but I was so incensed I couldn't help myself. I was quite the class hero for a while after that.

I'm pretty sure most etiquette goes out the window when a teacher abuses his students like that.  Good for you for standing up and reporting him, that was a very brave act!

Similarly, I just remembered this, I was in a science class in high school where we the teacher had passed out borrowed papers. marked in Sharpie with individual numbers, which everyone had to turn in at the end of class if we wanted to leave.

The teacher noticed one set was missing, number 19, and I was the only one who saw it in another kid's backpack, pulled it out myself and brought it back up.  They got into a load of trouble, and yes, I was kind of the teacher's pet for every single class.  I was scorned by the thief, though, for the rest of the semester. ::)

My BF just otld me I speak weirdly.  Whoops.  I blame being an Aspie poet.  I hope people can makeout what I'm saying :)

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2013, 06:29:34 PM »
I forgot one when I was much younger :) if I can:

When I was twelve, my older brother was earning a new rank in the Marines, something like that.  This was in San Francisco; my parents and I were in Cleveland.  My parents flew out the week before my spring break to attend the graduation; I was to follow on a non-stop flight from Cleveland to San Fran the next week (itself rather frightening).  Another of my brothers would put me on the plane at home, then my parents would meet me at SF.

Well, that was when there was an airline strike, and the nonstop flight got canceled.  My brother and I went to a travel agency, where the only option was flying first to Dallas-Ft. Worth (with a stop in St. Louis), spending the night at a hotel there, then catching another flight on to San Francisco.   Oh, and the only seat available was first class ;).  I spoke up and said "I'll take it!"  I had meal tickets and the hotel was on the airline, due to the striking.

My brother put me on the flight-writing down detailed instructions on the ticket envelope, which I still have today :).  All went well, and I managed to catch the little train to the hotel in Dallas (the airport is very different now).  The next morning, however, the flight to San Francisco was canceled!  I got into a line and told the person that I wanted the "next flight to San Francisco".  Obviously, this was way before cell phones, so I had no idea that I could think of for contacting my parents, already waiting for the expected flight.  When I got to San Francisco, I searched around the gates for a few minutes before I found them.

The only etiquette glitch I can think of is when I got myself and the suitcases back to the Dallas airport in the morning, a redcap offered to pull them over to the ticket counter to check in.  He waited for a few minutes, and I wondered why he wasn't getting more bags.  Then he says very slowly, "Two dollars, please!"   ;D.  I hadn't known anything about tipping them.

So, flying across the country that young was brave :).

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2013, 07:11:12 PM »
I drove from Charleston SC (in the Southern US) to Alaska and back. A looooooooong drive, including the entire Alaska highway-both ways. That highway is harrowing. There are some points where there is virtually no road-just a bunch of mud-and a sheer dropoff on one side. We had to wait for a pilot truck to come and lead us through those areas. Scary! But so, so worth it. The beauty was overwhelming.

Also got to go the Arctic Circle during that trip!

And here's a recent one. About a month ago I got into my car and realized there was a SNAKE on the floorboard! It terrified me (there are many poisonous snakes in my area and I can't tell one from another). Instead of jumping out of the car, screaming and crying like a baby, as I would have assumed I'd react...I grabbed my ice scraper and beat the thing to death, then flung it out of the car onto the front lawn.  Then sat in the front seat and cried like a baby. I never thought I'd do anything like that-purely an adrenaline reaction.

My DH thinks I just stunned it, as it was gone a little while later. Either that or a hawk got it (we have a lot of hawks here, too).

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2013, 07:59:30 PM »
1. Sailed the Greek islands (with no knowledge) with 3 other people. It was amazing, and ignorance was bliss. If I knew then what I know now (how much danger we were in) I would never do it.

2. Left my apartment in NYC and quit an amazing job to move to the 'burbs and marry a widower with three small boys.  Don't know why I never questioned my sanity, but it was a tremendous leap of faith - and I've never looked back.

3. It's a little sad, but now that I'm in my 50's I find my annual cartwheel to be scary. 😉