Author Topic: How brave are you? AKA: What was the most daring thing you've ever done?  (Read 5217 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
I'd forgotten about this.  When I was in kindergarten, all the boys got to play in the sandbox with the trucks and all the girls had to play with other things.  I didn't think it was fair that the boys always got the sandbox so I went to the teacher and complained.  As a result, the girls got the sandbox at least once a week.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

AngelicGamer

Brave but stupid: I walked from my college in Beloit, Wisconsin to a 24 hour grocery store at 3 in the morning in South Beloit, IL because I needed cookie dough.  Nobody was awake but I needed that cookie dough, so I got off my butt and went.

Why is this brave but stupid?  1) 19 year old walking alone at 3 am, 2) the crime rate, 3)crossing railroad tracks but not at an intersection, and 4)I'm night blind due to having Retinitis Pigmentosa.  So, there's this girl using a bright red tip cane, who knows the route like the back of her hand (trip is usually made with one other person unless you're a guy [don't ask, we were stupid college students]), walking to the store and back all for her cookie dough.  :D  Once I was there, I got groceries to last me for a few days.  *shakes head at self*

Brave: I've eaten lamb's brain at a local BBQ place in Evansville, IN.  Truth be told, I was actively looking for a place that served brain because I was going to try it while I was a spit away from being in Kentucky.  I do mean that - we took a wrong turn once, went a block, and were in Kentucky.  It was one of the best things I've ever eaten.

Personal Bravery: I have a couple of fears but one of the strongest is traveling in the winter when I don't personally know the person driving the bus or flying the plane.  It's really stupid and I have no clue why I have it in the first place.  However!  I traveled from Rockford, IL to Madison, WI at the end of December in order to visit a friend for New Years.  It was a double decker bus going there, so I was up top and got to see a lot of great scenery until I fell asleep (it cannot be helped, at all). 

When I was younger, I had a big fear of heights.  I still have it, but only when there's not something I can hold onto like a railing when I'm going down.  I think it has something to do with depth perception.

Anyways, when I was all of 13, my fear of heights was still there when I went to England and then Paris.  I made myself go all the way up to the bell tower in Notre Dame.  It is one of the strongest memories I have of the trip and I'm really glad I conquered a fear that day.  The view of Paris is breathtaking.  I also went up all the way in the Eiffel Tower, but that was less scary because I didn't have to climb all the stairs up.  :)

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

nuit93

Moving out of my mother's house for good.  She kept telling me over and over that it was a foolish mistake and that I'd never make it on my own--and complained to my sister and my sister's friends that I was just stupid and irresponsible and had no idea what I was doing (well, the way she described it I probably sounded foolish, but I didn't appreciate the lying behind my back).  I told her that I DID know what I was doing, that what she was doing was inappropriate, and to mind her own business.

I was 24 with a full time, albeit low paying job.  I haven't been back :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:15:50 PM by nuit93 »

stargazer

• Super Hero!
Learned how to train exotic animals.  One of the best times of my life but I am too selfish to do it for a career - there are NO days off.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
When I was in high school, two of the popular guys played a tasteless prank on our sweet Marketing & Distribution teacher. Normally a quiet, shy child, I was so incensed that I got up and ripped into the two guys and erased what they had done on the chalkboard. My M& D teacher was left confused but I walked back to my seat after telling her not to bother wondering about it. We moved on in class but my stomach was in knots afterward and I did wonder if there would be social repercussions but other than those two idiots leaving me alone, there wasn't.

The other way around: I stood up to a much-hated supply teacher who was mocking three girls in class for their weight. I was about 14 at the time. I went to the front of the class, squared up to him, got in his face and told him why he was wrong to do it and exactly what I thought of him in front of the whole class, then reported him. I was shaking like a leaf at the time and it probably wasn't EH approved, but I was so incensed I couldn't help myself. I was quite the class hero for a while after that.

I'm pretty sure most etiquette goes out the window when a teacher abuses his students like that.  Good for you for standing up and reporting him, that was a very brave act!

Similarly, I just remembered this, I was in a science class in high school where we the teacher had passed out borrowed papers. marked in Sharpie with individual numbers, which everyone had to turn in at the end of class if we wanted to leave.

The teacher noticed one set was missing, number 19, and I was the only one who saw it in another kid's backpack, pulled it out myself and brought it back up.  They got into a load of trouble, and yes, I was kind of the teacher's pet for every single class.  I was scorned by the thief, though, for the rest of the semester. ::)

My BF just otld me I speak weirdly.  Whoops.  I blame being an Aspie poet.  I hope people can makeout what I'm saying :)

Perfectly understandable.  I don't get what was so weird about your post?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

zyrs

• spiffily male.
The only thing I can think of was asking my future wife out to coffee for the first time.

Redneck Gravy

I'm certainly not very brave and I have always led a pretty bland life I think and yet...

once sank a boat with my MIL while caught in a thunderstorm on a huge lake and braved the forest for hours until help came

fought off a carjacker (took three weeks for those bruises to heal)

Looked my husband (6'4"  265 lbs) in the eye one day and said, "I'm leaving you" and did.  He wasn't physically abusive but he was very loud, angry and violent and I was afraid of his reaction.

Stood up to a bully in junior high and another one in high school.   I'm short and used to be very thin and I don't like being picked on.  Stopped a fight between two girls, one was a bully and one wasn't.  Stepped in between a guy about to punch a woman (still have a chipped tooth over that one).  Lastly I fired a warning shot at (not really at because it was a warning shot) a jerk beating up his girlfriend while waiting for the police to arrive.

I have raised two daughters all alone after I left their dad and he abandoned them. 

Some of the things here sound so exciting, maybe before I die I'll get to do some of them.       

cheyne

Joined the AF in 1985.  Went into a mechanical field, and was stationed in Japan as my first base.  CBPO has messed up my paperwork, so the squadron was expecting a married man instead of me (a single woman).  I was assigned to an area that no woman had ever worked in.  I was told on my second day there that I was being reassigned to "Records, all the women go there.".  I asked to speak with the Officer in Charge to plead my case.

I marched into Capt. Black's office, reported to him and snapped off a salute.  When he tried to give me the old, "Women don't work in [that area]" I told him that I joined the Air Force to do all jobs I was capable of and asked him if he he realized he was promoting a sexist attitude.  My assignment was changed, I was the first woman to work in that area, and Capt. Black even recommended me for a below the zone promotion (which I got). 

I don't think I was really brave, my actions were more a case of sheer moxie now that I look back on it.  ;D

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
I don't know if this is what you were going for, but at the age of 15 I called the paramedics to save the mother of a childhood friend from a drug overdose, while dealing with said friend in absolute hysterics because she was the one who found her mother passed out on our bathroom floor.

It's probably the thing I'm proudest of in my entire life.  It also makes me sad that I never saw that friend again.

GraceSullivan

When I was in high school, two of the popular guys played a tasteless prank on our sweet Marketing & Distribution teacher. Normally a quiet, shy child, I was so incensed that I got up and ripped into the two guys and erased what they had done on the chalkboard. My M& D teacher was left confused but I walked back to my seat after telling her not to bother wondering about it. We moved on in class but my stomach was in knots afterward and I did wonder if there would be social repercussions but other than those two idiots leaving me alone, there wasn't.

The other way around: I stood up to a much-hated supply teacher who was mocking three girls in class for their weight. I was about 14 at the time. I went to the front of the class, squared up to him, got in his face and told him why he was wrong to do it and exactly what I thought of him in front of the whole class, then reported him. I was shaking like a leaf at the time and it probably wasn't EH approved, but I was so incensed I couldn't help myself. I was quite the class hero for a while after that.

I'm pretty sure most etiquette goes out the window when a teacher abuses his students like that.  Good for you for standing up and reporting him, that was a very brave act!

Similarly, I just remembered this, I was in a science class in high school where we the teacher had passed out borrowed papers. marked in Sharpie with individual numbers, which everyone had to turn in at the end of class if we wanted to leave.

The teacher noticed one set was missing, number 19, and I was the only one who saw it in another kid's backpack, pulled it out myself and brought it back up.  They got into a load of trouble, and yes, I was kind of the teacher's pet for every single class.  I was scorned by the thief, though, for the rest of the semester. ::)

My BF just otld me I speak weirdly.  Whoops.  I blame being an Aspie poet.  I hope people can makeout what I'm saying :)

Perfectly understandable.  I don't get what was so weird about your post?

POD, you write very clearly and understandably.