News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 08:53:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vegan Cruises.  (Read 3806 times)

Thipu1

Vegan Cruises.
« on: February 26, 2013, 09:03:57 AM »
Has anybody ever been on one of these? 

In March, a relative and his family will be sailing on the Poesia and I'm curious about it. 

Of course, a Vegan cruise wouldn't require the same restrictions as a Kosher or Halal cruise, but it's interesting to think about. 

Shalamar

Re: Vegan Cruises.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 10:10:44 AM »
What's the cruise line?  My two daughters are vegan and vegetarian, and I'm curious.

Amara

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 12:15:47 PM »
Interesting!

I had never heard of a vegan cruise so did a bit of googling. The cruise line you named, OP, doesn't seem to have a vegan cruise; at least I couldn't bring up anything with the word "vegan" in their site search. However, a quick google search of the phrase "vegan cruise" returned a number of intriguing options. I've no interest in cruising nor am I a vegan but if I were going to cruise I might well choose one of these for the experience.

Thipu1

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 09:00:38 AM »
The name the line is MSC ( Mediterranean Shipping Company). They're quite well-known in Europe and are trying to enter the North American market.

We visited the Poesia for a tour and lunch about a year ago.  The ship is not specifically vegan.

My guess is that a travel agent or some organization,  such as a vegan magazine, made arrangements for a group cruise.  It would be no different than a group of motorcyclists or devoted bridge players.  The entire ship would probably not be vegan but, as most ships have a number of kitchens, one could be set aside for the vegan group and they may have a private dining room.

There are a significant number of vegans and vegetarians but it would be very difficult for a ship the size of The Poesia to sustain itself if it permanently changed over to a meatless format.  Filling a
2000 passenger ship with vegans and vegetarians on voyage after voyage could be a problem.

Some years ago, Carnival tried to launch a subsidiary line specifically aimed at the Hispanic
population.  It didn't work because, while Hispanic people cruise, there wasn't enough interest to keep a devoted ship profitable. Also, most Spanish-speaking people didn't like the idea of a
'segregated' ship.     After about a year, it reverted to a general format.     

I was just curious if anyone had been on a vegan cruise because this is the family's first cruise and
they're curious too.  Our lunch on the Poesia was delicious.  When they return, we'll be very interested to hear how things were handled.       

« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 10:08:58 AM by Thipu1 »

Thipu1

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 09:22:30 AM »
 Quick update.

We have a little more information. 

The family is sailing today from Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale).  The vegans are traveling as a group of about 200 people within the general ship population.  The ship will be sailing the Wastern Caribbean.  Ports will include Jamaica and Mexico. 

For those who like a good show, Port Everglades has six curise ships in port today.  It also has a good webcam system.  Between 4 and 5 pm EST, the parade should begin to move through the channel. 

People living in apartment buildings along the narrow channel often hang flags from the various lines on their balconies and bring out the air horns to salute the ships. Waves and cheers go back and forth.  Sailings from Port Everglades are always great fun to watch.

You can check it out at

www.portevergladeswebcam.com

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 10:23:03 AM »
I read this as "Vegas Cruises" and broke my brain trying to figure out how you cruise to a destination in the desert before I realized what it actually said  :P

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 11:13:24 AM »
For those who like a good show, Port Everglades has six curise ships in port today.  It also has a good webcam system.  Between 4 and 5 pm EST, the parade should begin to move through the channel. 

People living in apartment buildings along the narrow channel often hang flags from the various lines on their balconies and bring out the air horns to salute the ships. Waves and cheers go back and forth.  Sailings from Port Everglades are always great fun to watch.

You can check it out at

www.portevergladeswebcam.com

Mildly OT: I spend some of my time in the Port of Los Angeles, down the channel from the cruise ship port. We get to see them passing very close (and very tall) to our own boats. The amusing thing is whenever a Norwegian Cruise Lines ship arrives or leaves. There's a Norwegian church on the hill in San Pedro and they blast the Norwegian national anthem whenever the boats are moving.

The main terminal only has room for two (or possibly three) ships at a time. But then, Disney has their own terminal and the Port of Long Beach has one, too. Six would be very impressive.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Aeris

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 01:17:22 PM »
I read this as "Vegas Cruises" and broke my brain trying to figure out how you cruise to a destination in the desert before I realized what it actually said  :P

Mechanical sand worm?

Thipu1

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 06:16:22 PM »
I was thinking about 'Dune' as well.

Weren't there other sic-fi novels that used 'sand ships'? 

Since Las Vegas is actually west of Los Angeles, a day trip from a cruise ship could just be possible.  It might be like a day trip to Paris from Le Havre.  You could do it but I wouldn't like it. 

PastryGoddess

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 07:22:37 PM »
I was thinking about 'Dune' as well.

Weren't there other sic-fi novels that used 'sand ships'? 

Since Las Vegas is actually west of Los Angeles, a day trip from a cruise ship could just be possible.  It might be like a day trip to Paris from Le Havre.  You could do it but I wouldn't like it. 
It's a 4 or 5 hour drive one way if I'm not mistaken.  It's only 2 between Paris and Le Havre

Jessie

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 03:38:54 AM »
Las Vegas is East of Los Angeles. West of Los Angeles is the Pacific Ocean.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 08:18:07 AM »

:D

Thipu1

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 10:47:30 AM »

It's true that west of Los Angeles is rhe Pacific Ocean.  However, if you take a look at the west coast of the USA, there's a big bulge north of Los Angeles.  Las Vegas fits into that bulge and is actually west of Los Angeles.  I know it sounds nuts but it's true.

By the same token, the Caribbean end of the Panama Canal is west of the Pacific end. 

Ain't geography grand? 

Jocelyn

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 01:59:02 PM »

It's true that west of Los Angeles is rhe Pacific Ocean.  However, if you take a look at the west coast of the USA, there's a big bulge north of Los Angeles.  Las Vegas fits into that bulge and is actually west of Los Angeles.  I know it sounds nuts but it's true.

By the same token, the Caribbean end of the Panama Canal is west of the Pacific end. 

Ain't geography grand?
I think you may be thinking of Reno, not Las Vegas.

Jessie

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 09:38:58 PM »

:D

The especially funny part about this, is, despite having driven from the Los Angeles  area to Las  Vegas about 10 or so times  in the last 5 years, I had to sit here and think for a few minutes about which direction was  which.  I am easily confused.