Author Topic: S/O Old Wives' Tales - Proven False  (Read 5157 times)

selkiewoman

Re: S/O Old Wives' Tales - Proven False
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 10:52:28 AM »
I had long, thick hair as a girl, and it took a long time to dry.  I got the dire warnings about going out with wet hair, and apparently drying it by the fire was also a nono - that melts the marrow in your bones ::)

I told my very pregnant daughter at the grocery store (joking) that my grandma would have reprimanded her from reaching things down from the high shelves (because that would make the umbilical cord wrap roung the baby's neck.)  She rolled her eyes and said 'You would be surprised how many of my friends really believe that.'

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 10:59:43 AM »
I was once told that it is impossible to die in your dream.  If you die in your dream, you will be dead in real life as well.  This has not held true for me.  I have died in my dreams.  I do admit, though, that every dream death has involved a gun, and I have a definite gun phobia because of those dreams.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 11:03:54 AM »
I was told if you are dreaming that you fall off a cliff and don't wake up before you hit the ground - that if you actually hit the ground in your dream - you will die in real life.   ::)

I was always told that raw okra would make your hair black.  Well I am still as blonde as blonde can be...   

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 11:04:30 AM »
Has anyone ever heard that if you have the same dream three times it will come true?

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 11:14:37 AM »
Has anyone ever heard that if you have the same dream three times it will come true?

Oh dear, I certainly hope not.  Otherwise I'm going to find myself back in college, trying to take a final exam for a class I never attended, much less studied for!

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 11:15:29 AM »

Oh dear, I certainly hope not.  Otherwise I'm going to find myself back in college, trying to take a final exam for a class I never attended, much less studied for!

Me too! And I will be naked.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 11:34:43 AM »

And there'll be a talking penguin in there, too.

Or is that just me?

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 12:31:47 PM »
I was told if you are dreaming that you fall off a cliff and don't wake up before you hit the ground - that if you actually hit the ground in your dream - you will die in real life.   ::)

I was always told that raw okra would make your hair black.  Well I am still as blonde as blonde can be...

How the heck would you know what the dead person was dreaming?   ;D
I'll get there.  Eventually.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 01:28:59 PM »

Bingo !

Kariachi

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 02:09:23 PM »

Bingo !

Ghosts.  ;D

On the 'when you call a bride beautiful' deal, apparently an Irish bride can't have both feet off the floor, or else the Fair Folk will risk them away...
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 02:38:58 PM »
if you actually hit the ground in your dream - you will die in real life.   ::)

If you died, how would people know what you had been dreaming?
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 02:49:27 PM »

And there'll be a talking penguin in there, too.

Or is that just me?

*snerk* ;D

I hope not, or else I'll be living a very trippy life.  My dreams are odd enough. :o

Sometimes they take the place of fiction I've recently read, watched or played.  This led to one dream recreating the part of the Hitchhiker's miniseries where Ford and Arthur are thrown out of the Volgon airlock and the improbability device, because I rewatched it recently. :)

On apple cores, I think they contain trace amounts of cyanide, so eating too much won't be good for you.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

padua

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 03:24:55 PM »
when i lived in austria, i was frequently reprimanded for sitting on cold stone because apparently doing so freezes your ovaries and makes you barren.

2 children later- i feel safe enough now to call shenanigans!

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 05:08:44 PM »
if you actually hit the ground in your dream - you will die in real life.   ::)

If you died, how would people know what you had been dreaming?

I think the theory is that even though people dream of falling off a cliff, the dream always ends before the dreamer hits the ground. 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 05:34:20 PM »

Me too.  And I will also be late for the exam, so everyone will stare at me when I walk into a class I've never attended before in my life to take the test on the material I've never studied. 

I would wake up sweating.  And I don't normally sweat at all.