Author Topic: young adults learning the hard way - update post #29  (Read 31856 times)

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
Re: young adults learning the hard way - update post #29
« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2013, 02:48:44 PM »
I blame all these job applicants disregarding instructions on those magazine articles or career counselors that tell people to be "proactive" and to "think outside the box." 

This happens on the job, too.  I've had staff members, usually younger ones, screwing things up because they're trying to be "proactive" and to "think outside the box."  When you are asked to make a photocopy, just scanning it and then telling me I can just print it out is not being proactive, but being a nuisance.  I wasn't impressed.

How was scanning the document, checking to see if it was scanned correctly, then printing it faster than putting facedown and pressing a button?
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2013, 03:05:42 PM »
If I ask you to make a copy - make it darn it!

Don't come back and tell me you have scanned it and I can now print it out myself.  If I had wanted to print it out I would have copied the darn thing to begin with. 

This is one of those things I HATE about working with some people - I asked you to do it, don't half-way do it and then tell me how much easier it is for ME to now do it. 

KarenK

« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2013, 03:08:14 PM »
I blame all these job applicants disregarding instructions on those magazine articles or career counselors that tell people to be "proactive" and to "think outside the box." 

This happens on the job, too.  I've had staff members, usually younger ones, screwing things up because they're trying to be "proactive" and to "think outside the box."  When you are asked to make a photocopy, just scanning it and then telling me I can just print it out is not being proactive, but being a nuisance.  I wasn't impressed.

How was scanning the document, checking to see if it was scanned correctly, then printing it faster than putting facedown and pressing a button?

That's just the point. The "Go-Getter" was expecting StuffedGrapeLeaves to print it out. I assume from an e-mail attachment. So "Go-Getter" was actually just adding a step, but for SGL, not him or herself.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2013, 03:17:19 PM »

That's just the point. The "Go-Getter" was expecting StuffedGrapeLeaves to print it out. I assume from an e-mail attachment. So "Go-Getter" was actually just adding a step, but for SGL, not him or herself.

Yes, exactly.  I told the Go-Getter (I like the name!) to photocopy the document.  She came back with the original document and triumphantly said that she scanned it, so now we have an electronic copy.  OK, but where's my physical copy?  Then she said, "Oh, I sent it to you over e-mail, so you can print it out!"  I told her to go back and make the copy, and next time to please follow instructions.  Her response was that she was just being proactive, and she was not happy that I did not appreciate it.  She didn't last long on the job. 

MrTango

« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2013, 03:28:13 PM »

Yes, exactly.  I told the Go-Getter (I like the name!) to photocopy the document.  She came back with the original document and triumphantly said that she scanned it, so now we have an electronic copy.  OK, but where's my physical copy?  Then she said, "Oh, I sent it to you over e-mail, so you can print it out!"  I told her to go back and make the copy, and next time to please follow instructions.  Her response was that she was just being proactive, and she was not happy that I did not appreciate it.  She didn't last long on the job.

No surprise there.

If she was really a Go-Getter, she'd have asked "While I'm at the copy machine, would you like me to scan it also?"

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #140 on: March 14, 2013, 03:35:49 PM »
If she was really a Go-Getter, she'd have asked "While I'm at the copy machine, would you like me to scan it also?"

Agreed.  If it had been me, I would have made the copy, scanned it as well, and when asked to make a copy in the future, printed it off.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2013, 11:39:09 AM »
I have to admit, I would break up with someone who refused to take care of themselves.   I don't have the patience to deal with an adult that refuses to take care of themselves.

Agreed. I have medical issues myself, but I manage them. And if I choose to do something like eat a potential migraine trigger, then I deal with it and don't make it someone else's problem.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Lynda_34

Re: young adults learning the hard way
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2013, 12:48:58 PM »
That is probably when I would have said "Throw a dressier outfit in the car just in case".

I'd have just put one in the car and had it available.

Lynda_34

« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2013, 01:13:25 PM »
DS isn't like this.  He will usually ask me for advice then make his own decision based on what advice he's been given.

DH on the other hand?  Ugh.  The man has four polo shirts and two pairs of khaki's (olive green or black) that serve as his uniform.  Otherwise it's T-shirts and his one pair of jeans (honestly, how can anyone survive with only one pair of jeans).

The other day I mentioned that the burnt orange polo shirt and green khaki combination really made him look like a pumpkin.  Of course, I can't know what I'm talking about.  He looks fiiiiiiine.

Until he saw the 85-year-old neighbor wearing the identical outfit!   ;D

Just one question.  Did you loan the 85 yo the clothes? ;)

Lynda_34

« Reply #144 on: March 17, 2013, 01:16:52 PM »

[/quote]At this point, the degree gets your resume a look.  I've seen so many postings that say you must have a college degree and won't consider anyone without one.  I got an A.A. in Hospitality Mgmt first and then a B.S. in Business Administration.  That degree has been super helpful as people seem to take it more seriously than a B.A. in Business.  I have no idea why though *shrug*
[/quote]

You just gave me heart failure.  My daughter did exactly the same track you did.  I do mention her occasionally in this forum.
The Hospitality degree gives you focus and a skill. The BA is more vague.

I was a single mother of two climbing out of debt due to a divorce and told her if she wanted college it would have to be the community college and live at home she finished that in two and a half years. Yes her degree is in hospitality.  Her final pastry project was a wedding cake which held reign on the top of the entertainment center for an entire summer. (It was frosted cake forms) Then in the humidity of August it melted.  She told me I could throw it out. 

She then decided to go away and live in an apartment with her cousin and get her business degree. She has worked since she was 16 and has an excellent job on the east coast in food management.

She also has a small student loan.  I paid her tuition every semester and told her if she dropped a course she would have to reimburse me for it.  She did get a D in something and in hindsight I wish she'd dropped it but she didn't discuss it with me at the time.

It is so hard to stand by and help your child make decisions or make them for them when you know so much can hang in the balance.

My son on the other hand, although intelligent didn't always have the best judgement.  He was caught drinking in middle school at lunch and I held him back a year so he could get into a good technical high school.  After graduation he diddly bopped around for a while and is finally settling down and been offered an apprenticeship as a machinist.

The scariest thing is when you're making decisions that will totally affect someone else's life.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #145 on: March 17, 2013, 05:49:33 PM »

At this point, the degree gets your resume a look.  I've seen so many postings that say you must have a college degree and won't consider anyone without one.  I got an A.A. in Hospitality Mgmt first and then a B.S. in Business Administration.  That degree has been super helpful as people seem to take it more seriously than a B.A. in Business.  I have no idea why though *shrug*

You just gave me heart failure.  My daughter did exactly the same track you did.  I do mention her occasionally in this forum.
The Hospitality degree gives you focus and a skill. The BA is more vague.

I was a single mother of two climbing out of debt due to a divorce and told her if she wanted college it would have to be the community college and live at home she finished that in two and a half years. Yes her degree is in hospitality.  Her final pastry project was a wedding cake which held reign on the top of the entertainment center for an entire summer. (It was frosted cake forms) Then in the humidity of August it melted.  She told me I could throw it out. 

She then decided to go away and live in an apartment with her cousin and get her business degree. She has worked since she was 16 and has an excellent job on the east coast in food management.

She also has a small student loan.  I paid her tuition every semester and told her if she dropped a course she would have to reimburse me for it.  She did get a D in something and in hindsight I wish she'd dropped it but she didn't discuss it with me at the time.

It is so hard to stand by and help your child make decisions or make them for them when you know so much can hang in the balance.

My son on the other hand, although intelligent didn't always have the best judgement.  He was caught drinking in middle school at lunch and I held him back a year so he could get into a good technical high school.  After graduation he diddly bopped around for a while and is finally settling down and been offered an apprenticeship as a machinist.

The scariest thing is when you're making decisions that will totally affect someone else's life.

It helped that I moved 700 miles away from family and was forced to rely on myself for everything.  That helped me grow up really fast :)  I still work in the event/travel industry but not in the kitchen.  One of the things that having that hospitality degree has helped with is to keep me from panicking when things go wrong.  I have learned to have Options A-F available and I don't let anyone see me sweat. Working for psychotic chefs will do that to ya :)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #146 on: March 17, 2013, 09:12:52 PM »
My DH didn't finish college so he doesn't have a degree but he was an active duty Marine for 5 years in a technical field and that experience has helped him get his last job (which hired him less than a month after he got out of the service) and his current one.  So there are some jobs that will consider military training, especially as they get experience in addition to training.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #147 on: March 18, 2013, 10:49:46 AM »
One of the women I work with considers herself the Queen Bee of our office and her family.

She has two children in college, and rides them constantly. Both of them work, one is about to graduate and already has a job. The younger one just started college in the past fall semester, and has done ok, but nothing to proclaim about. QB wants the younger one to take two summer A classes, to get the summer classes out of the way. Since she has mentioned this to me (we are co-workers, not friends) and every other person who works in the office, I suggested she take one summer A and one summer B, because summer classes are very intense. You can't miss a day of school work and keep grades up. QB didn't like that suggestion, but it is not her that will be suffering through a very heavy course load and working!

I feel so sorry for both of QB's kids!

MrTango

« Reply #148 on: March 18, 2013, 11:13:24 AM »
One of the women I work with considers herself the Queen Bee of our office and her family.

She has two children in college, and rides them constantly. Both of them work, one is about to graduate and already has a job. The younger one just started college in the past fall semester, and has done ok, but nothing to proclaim about. QB wants the younger one to take two summer A classes, to get the summer classes out of the way. Since she has mentioned this to me (we are co-workers, not friends) and every other person who works in the office, I suggested she take one summer A and one summer B, because summer classes are very intense. You can't miss a day of school work and keep grades up. QB didn't like that suggestion, but it is not her that will be suffering through a very heavy course load and working!

I feel so sorry for both of QB's kids!

And once Queen Bee's kids finish college and are no longer financially dependent on her, she's probably going to whine about why they won't talk to her anymore.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #149 on: March 18, 2013, 01:46:08 PM »
She constantly complains that the kids don't contribute enough to her budget, since they live with her, but then wants them to take more classes.