General Etiquette > Family and Children

young adults learning the hard way - update post #29

<< < (44/44)

Katana_Geldar:

--- Quote from: Hillia on March 22, 2013, 11:50:37 AM ---Not so much learning the hard way, but 'hey, my mom isn't a total moron'.

Last night DS (age 19) called to tell me that he had had the chance to have dinner with the CEO of an international corporation - this company makes a product used widely in his industry, and the company DS works for is the largest local customer of the product, so when he was in town for a conference he took the owners and managers out to dinner and DS was invited.  They went to a very fancy restaurant, and DS wanted to thank me for teaching him decent table manners and how to handle a formal dinner setting.

--- End quote ---

That sort of thing even happens in fiction. The main character in The Name of the Wind is very grateful for his mother teaching him how to behave in polite company when he meets a pretty girl, despite being annoyed by it at the time. He realised that it gave you a script when you didn't know what to say.

MrTango:

--- Quote from: Virg on March 20, 2013, 12:05:38 PM ---kymom3 wrote:

"Scouts are great for teaching independence.  Our boys do a little demonstration for new Scouts before their first campout--this is how to pack a backpack, what to take, etc.  They usually throw in some funny things-don't pack the huge iron skillet or the 5000 piece jigsaw puzzle."

Yeah, they'll all laugh until they're stuck in the woods, lost and cold, and then they find out how easy it is to start a good fire with jigsaw puzzle pieces.  Then won't they be sorry?

Virg

--- End quote ---

When I was a boy scout, I saved up all the dryer lint from my house for about a month before our annual week-long trip.  I stuffed zip-lock sandwich bags with it and then compressed it under a stack of encyclopedias for a few hours before actually sealing the bags.

Eventually, I started buying cheap wax from a craft store and dipping the compressed bundles of lint in melted wax.  Not only did it make them waterproof, but they burned much longer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version