Author Topic: Did you ever call a boss/co-worker an inappropriate term?  (Read 7530 times)

Calypso

Did you ever call a boss/co-worker an inappropriate term?
« on: February 28, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »
Oh dear, I think I need more sleep.  :o
My co-worker/superior (except we really don't have much hierarchy here) just said something I didn't hear so I said, "What, honey?"  :-[ as I would to my DH. My other coworker laughed, but he gallantly ignored it (the best way to handle it, I think) but did ask a few seconds later if I was ok.

Have you ever done anything like that? If the genders were reversed, would you get upset if the (male) co-worker made a similar error talking to you (female)?

Going for more caffeine now  ::) :P

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
Re: Did you ever call a boss/co-worker an inappropriate term?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »
I wouldn't fret too much about that slip, things happen.  I would also be embarassed if I did something like that. 

I had a (male) boss once slip and call me "dear" he was mortified.  I could tell it was accident and ignored it, he didn't call me that again.
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

Margo

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 03:28:02 PM »
I think it depends on the situation. I think that usually it's possible to tell whether someone's done what you did, and had a minor brain fart, or whether it's an actual problem.

I've had (male) clients end phone calls by saying "love you" once or twice. it didn't upset me, in context it was obviously just an error.

I would only be upset if the co-worker in question was inappropriate in other ways. As a  one-off from someone I know is normally appropriate and professional in the workplace, I'd probably react like your colleague did, and wonder if you're OK.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 03:33:43 PM »
When I read the title, I thought of much worse things than "honey" (that might just be a reflection of my last bosses, though).

If it is a slip, I would ignore it and carry on.

Momiitz

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 03:45:26 PM »
I was in the stair well at work. I was going up and a male coworker was going down stairs. I recognized him and said hello and he said "hey sexy" back.

He was so embarrassed and apologized profusely. His mind was wandering and that is how he normally answers his wife. I had a good laugh and told him not to worry about it. I think he was six shades of red as he walked away.

auntmeegs

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 03:49:35 PM »
I once said I love you to a customer as I was hanging up the phone with him.  My boss, coworker and I almost peed ourselves laughing over it. 

mmswm

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »
I was also thinking of something much worse when I read the thread title.  At least it's not as bad as what I did once.  We'd been having a bad day.  The mainframe had just been brought up after a 4 day crash.  This isn't something tiny.  This is the mainframe of a gigantic national bank.  The mainframe runs everything.  Of course we have procedures in place so that we can operate under such circumstances, but that doesn't mean that Hades doesn't break loose.  Those of us in the back shop departments were up to our eyeballs correcting problems in accounts that were the direct result of that crash.

So, this banker calls me with a customer issue and I was trying really hard to be nice and explain that we were working very hard, to fix everything (I put in 50 hour of overtime that week, to give you an idea).  He wasn't having it.  Nothing I said could make him understand.  I really needed to get off the phone so I could go back to fixing things, but couldn't get him off.  He finally said the magic words and asked to speak to a supervisor.  Yay!  So, I called one of the guys on the escalation team and asked him to take over.  Somewhere in there I called the banker a wingadingdingy.  Ooops.  Also, unfortunately, that call happened to get recorded by quality control (our internal lines are sometimes recorded).  Double ooops. Yeah, that didn't go well with my supervisor.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Isisnin

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 04:14:33 PM »
Reminds me of when one of Ray Romano's twin (on "Everybody Loves Raymond") called his teacher "Mommy".  Been there, done that - many decades ago.

sounds like your boss understood it was just a slip, Calypso.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 04:19:35 PM »
Not a co-worker in my office, but someone with whom I have a professional relationship.  I was working late (over an hour past my usual time to go home) and waiting for DH to call me from the parking lot since he didn't know exactly when he would be able to pick me up.  My desk phone rang when I was expecting DH to call; My cell phone must remain on mute at work, so he uses the work number.  Knowing that he was going to call around that time and knowing that everyone with whom I work knows I leave at 3:15 pm, I answered the phone, "Hey, Sweetie."

It wasn't DH. :-[

It was an engineer for a sludge treatment facility calling to report a problem.  He did not know how to reply.  I think I heard his jaw hit the desk.  Then he said his name.

I replied, "You're not my sweetie!" >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 04:33:04 PM »
Reminds me of a movie my MIL gave us for Christmas.  One of the 4 police officers is talking to his wife and then the captain calls him so he has to switch over.  He always says "I love you" to his wife, and when he hangs up from talking to the captain he says "Love you too".  Then he cringes and blushes.

Later in the movie the captain calls while the guy's at home and he pauses to talk to his wife saying "Love you!" The captain gives his phone a funny look before hanging up and the guy again cringes at realizing the captain thought he was saying I love you to him.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Jones

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 05:26:21 PM »
I haven't done this myself, but I have a semi funny story. Coworker's SO called our boss, to his face, a [controversial word for cat] . Boss didn't care, as they knew each other and it was a friendly teasing, and, come Monday, didn't even remember, but a pearl-clutching woman who was present began a year long feud because she hates that word.
The next holiday party was ...its own bucket of controversy, but at least everyone is still speaking to each other.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 05:59:10 PM »
Not a co-worker in my office, but someone with whom I have a professional relationship.  I was working late (over an hour past my usual time to go home) and waiting for DH to call me from the parking lot since he didn't know exactly when he would be able to pick me up.  My desk phone rang when I was expecting DH to call; My cell phone must remain on mute at work, so he uses the work number.  Knowing that he was going to call around that time and knowing that everyone with whom I work knows I leave at 3:15 pm, I answered the phone, "Hey, Sweetie."

It wasn't DH. :-[

It was an engineer for a sludge treatment facility calling to report a problem.  He did not know how to reply.  I think I heard his jaw hit the desk.  Then he said his name.

I replied, "You're not my sweetie!" >:D

Nice recovery!

Jocelyn

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 11:18:52 PM »
I had a nontraditional student who was about my age...that is, old enough to remember the first few seasons of Saturday Night Live.
If you aren't of our age, Jane Curtin and Gilda Radner had an ongoing schtick where Jane would correct Gilda, and then Gilda would say in a whiny little voice, 'B**ch'.
One day the student asked me to cancel or delay an assignment, and I replied 'Nice try.' As she turned to go back to her seat, she said, 'B**ch'.
The class gasped.
She gasped.
Fortunately, she had done a spot-on impersonation of Gilda Radner, and I busted up laughing, because I'd had a college roommate who did the exact same thing all the time, and I understood the reference.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 12:16:17 AM »
Reminds me of a movie my MIL gave us for Christmas.  One of the 4 police officers is talking to his wife and then the captain calls him so he has to switch over.  He always says "I love you" to his wife, and when he hangs up from talking to the captain he says "Love you too".  Then he cringes and blushes.

Later in the movie the captain calls while the guy's at home and he pauses to talk to his wife saying "Love you!" The captain gives his phone a funny look before hanging up and the guy again cringes at realizing the captain thought he was saying I love you to him.

I LOVE this movie.

I called a teacher "boo boo" once.  ;D

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 12:47:10 AM »
My co-workers and I call each other "sweetie" on purpose :)

That said, I had a funny interaction with one of the partners of our firm at a dinner a few years back. I was sitting across the table from him and he'd constantly say stuff like "Would you pass me the water, hon... Maria?" "Hon... Maria, here's the salt" etc. After 3-4 times of that I couldn't help myself any longer, but started laughing, "Andrew, it's okay that you call me honey - I don't mind!" So for the rest of the meal, I was 'honey' ;)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice