Author Topic: Did you ever call a boss/co-worker an inappropriate term?  (Read 7128 times)

menley

Re: Did you ever call a boss/co-worker an inappropriate term?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 05:08:25 AM »
Hah! Once my husband was on the phone with one of his male coworkers (who is also a friend) - he got a phone call from his mom with an update on his ailing grandfather, so he told the coworker he needed to take the call. He then said "Love you mom, bye!" - I guess confusing the call he was on with the one he was about to take :) He turned a shade of red I've never seen before!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 06:46:06 AM »
Reminds me of a movie my MIL gave us for Christmas.  One of the 4 police officers is talking to his wife and then the captain calls him so he has to switch over.  He always says "I love you" to his wife, and when he hangs up from talking to the captain he says "Love you too".  Then he cringes and blushes.

Later in the movie the captain calls while the guy's at home and he pauses to talk to his wife saying "Love you!" The captain gives his phone a funny look before hanging up and the guy again cringes at realizing the captain thought he was saying I love you to him.

I LOVE this movie.

I laughed when the Captain calls him out on it later.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 10:55:24 AM »
I did this once on the phone with a customer, and I'm quite proud of the quick inspiration that saved me.  I was expecting a call from a coworker and my boss was nearby so we could all talk about the issue, and so when the phone rang I punched the speakerphone and barked "WHAT?!?" at the caller, who turned out not to be my coworker but a customer.  The flustered customer on the other end stammered, "Uh, is this ABC Company?" Realizing I'd made a mistake, a brilliant flash came from the heavens and so I yelled, "NO!" and disconnected the call.  My boss was understandably upset, but I told him, "wait for it..."  The phone rang again, and I answered with "ABC Company, this is Virg.  How can I help you?"  The customer never mentioned the "wrong number" and my boss nearly turned himself inside out trying not to laugh in the background.

Virg

MandiC76

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 11:39:17 AM »
Reminds me of a movie my MIL gave us for Christmas.  One of the 4 police officers is talking to his wife and then the captain calls him so he has to switch over.  He always says "I love you" to his wife, and when he hangs up from talking to the captain he says "Love you too".  Then he cringes and blushes.

Later in the movie the captain calls while the guy's at home and he pauses to talk to his wife saying "Love you!" The captain gives his phone a funny look before hanging up and the guy again cringes at realizing the captain thought he was saying I love you to him.

I LOVE this movie.

I laughed when the Captain calls him out on it later.

Awesome movie - and that's the first thing I thought of when I read the OP! :)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 12:02:12 PM »
I'm originally from the South and have been known a time or two to call a coworker "honey" by accident. I immediately turn bright red and they tease me about it.

One time an emeritus professor (aka retired but still hangs around) asked me to get him a cup of coffee and called me "sweetheart." (For the record, I was standing by the coffee maker getting myself a cup.) I responded with "Sure thing, pumpkin." He apparently found that to be hysterically funny and told me his wife would kill him for calling a student "sweetheart" but he sure liked my style.

Calypso

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 12:54:06 PM »
I had a nontraditional student who was about my age...that is, old enough to remember the first few seasons of Saturday Night Live.
If you aren't of our age, Jane Curtin and Gilda Radner had an ongoing schtick where Jane would correct Gilda, and then Gilda would say in a whiny little voice, 'B**ch'.
One day the student asked me to cancel or delay an assignment, and I replied 'Nice try.' As she turned to go back to her seat, she said, 'B**ch'.
The class gasped.
She gasped.
Fortunately, she had done a spot-on impersonation of Gilda Radner, and I busted up laughing, because I'd had a college roommate who did the exact same thing all the time, and I understood the reference.

I'm also of the era that would recognize this and if she did a spot-on Gilda I'd be on the floor!  ;D

At least she didn't say "Jane, you ignorant slut."  8)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:55:40 PM by Calypso »

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 01:12:11 PM »
I did that one time...I was on the phone and said something like, "Bye, sweetie"

I said Oops! and then pretended it didn't happen.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 01:41:12 PM »
This is what you need:

http://cheezburger.com/7101161216

GratefulMaria

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 02:42:46 PM »
DH and I have a symbols shorthand for "I love you" with which I once closed an email to our sons' elementary school secretary.

And this one was intentional but cute:  On skype with DS2 while he was sitting in his dorm lounge with a couple of friends.  As we signed off, I said my usual "Love you, bye!" to which both DS1 and DS2 usually respond with a cheerful "Mhmm" or "Yep," which DS2 did while one of his friends happily yelled "LOVE YOU TOO!"

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 03:24:59 PM »
Fortunately, she had done a spot-on impersonation of Gilda Radner, and I busted up laughing, because I'd had a college roommate who did the exact same thing all the time, and I understood the reference.
I, too, will forgive much for a good Gilda Radner impersonation.  IMHO, she was a comic genius.  I love Gene Wilder, too, and wish I could have been a fly on the wall in their home.

Can flies ROTFL their wings off?
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 04:00:30 PM »
I was once hanging out during a quiet time at work with several co-workers and our boss. Co-workers and I were a fairly obnoxious, boisterous group and teased each other a good deal, so there was some of that going on and our boss was trying to play along and fit in even though he wasn't very good at it.

At one point, I observed that boss's pants cuff had turned itself inside out so I said, "Hey, your pants cuff is messed up," to which he, for some reason, responded, "Yeah? Well you're a [single-syllable word for professional scrabble player that rhymes with floor]."

Everyone's eyes bugged out and you could have heard a pin drop for what seemed like a very long time, after which we all roared with laughter. He was teased about it mercilessly for quite a while and I wound up with a new temporary nickname.

I miss that group. I like my current group, but no way would that sort of thing fly here. Or most other places, probably...
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 04:14:37 PM »
I did this once on the phone with a customer, and I'm quite proud of the quick inspiration that saved me.  I was expecting a call from a coworker and my boss was nearby so we could all talk about the issue, and so when the phone rang I punched the speakerphone and barked "WHAT?!?" at the caller, who turned out not to be my coworker but a customer.  The flustered customer on the other end stammered, "Uh, is this ABC Company?" Realizing I'd made a mistake, a brilliant flash came from the heavens and so I yelled, "NO!" and disconnected the call.  My boss was understandably upset, but I told him, "wait for it..."  The phone rang again, and I answered with "ABC Company, this is Virg.  How can I help you?"  The customer never mentioned the "wrong number" and my boss nearly turned himself inside out trying not to laugh in the background.

Virg

That is inspirational.   ;D

BeagleMommy

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 04:17:28 PM »
I had been given an award at work that included a bonus check.  In my excitement I called DH and quickly said "Hey baby, guess who just got a bonus?  We're going to have a wild time tonight!".  I heard "Ummmmmm" on the other end.  Turns out DH's supervisor picked up his ringing phone.  I wanted to crawl under a rock, but that supervisor was a good sport and laughed it off.  Once he stopped laughing he said "Do you want me to tell your DH that word for word or should he just call you back?".  ;D

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 07:11:13 PM »
I had been given an award at work that included a bonus check.  In my excitement I called DH and quickly said "Hey baby, guess who just got a bonus?  We're going to have a wild time tonight!".  I heard "Ummmmmm" on the other end.  Turns out DH's supervisor picked up his ringing phone.  I wanted to crawl under a rock, but that supervisor was a good sport and laughed it off.  Once he stopped laughing he said "Do you want me to tell your DH that word for word or should he just call you back?".  ;D
That is classic! ;D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 07:31:41 PM »
Years ago I worked in a doctor's office and it's important to note that there was one woman named Ann and my name's Annie. The front office manager was forever mixing us up.  She knew the other woman's name was Ann but called her Annie while she insisted on calling me Ann despite me telling her numerous times that Annie is my given name and what I want to be called. 

One day, we heard over the intercom "Annie, phone call on line 9."  So I picked up and the voice on the other line was not my DH's saying "How would you like for your husband to come home tonight?" Well as far as I knew, my dh was planning on coming home that night so I was thoroughly confused and thought it was a joke!  I said "Excuse me?" and he repeated himself so I asked "Um, who is this?" I could hear the pause on the other end and the guy said "Um, is this Ann H?" I told him no, but if he held on the line I'd get her for him!

Well he had to leave before she was able to get to the phone, but I think after that someone talked to the office manager about mixing up our names because from then on she would say "Ann H or Ann M."  So still not caring that my given name is Annie, but at least there was less confusion.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata