Author Topic: Did you ever call a boss/co-worker an inappropriate term?  (Read 7714 times)

delabela

Re: Did you ever call a boss/co-worker an inappropriate term?
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2013, 12:30:21 AM »
I have little kids, and on very rare occasions, I have accidentally let a "Hey pumpkin" out when I was trying to get someone's attention. 

Susiqzer

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2013, 11:49:24 AM »
Yup, I once said "love you!" to my boss while hanging up the phone. He knew I was over-tired (DD was still a baby) and laughed like crazy as I apologized.

I also, while working a second job, answered the phone as if I were at my primary job. The customer thought it was hilarious, thankfully!

Miss Tickle

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2013, 01:24:37 PM »
I've told random coworkers I love them while getting off the phone. I'm happy to hear it's a common phenomenon.

I called my boss a son-of-a-* on purpose. He called me out for not dealing with a bunch of posters then chased me around the office for two hours berating me for losing them.  We had the team going back and forth putting bets on which of us was right. This was the first time my boss freaked out on me for losing something, so eventually thought maybe I did misplace them. I called the lady that was in the week before to ask if she remembered where Boss put them, or what she might have done to start trying to track them down. As soon as I said "about those posters" she fell all over herself apologizing.  She was so sorry, the posters weren't back from the printers, she told Boss that when she was there and promised him she'd get them out to me as soon as they're ready. It would be a couple more days. I thanked her and told her I'd be waiting.

I looked up and saw the Boss smirking at me. So I did what any crazy person would, I yelled "You Sonofa.... There AREN'T any posters. They haven't even been printed yet, and she told you that last week!"

His response? A huge grin. "Oh, okay, well make sure you get them out when they come in."

He still tries to pull the "you lost something" when he's frustrated but now he knows I'm not intimidated and I don't actually lose his stuff.

I'd never call him that again though, his Mother is an absolute angel.

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 01:48:15 PM »
Not a co-worker in my office, but someone with whom I have a professional relationship.  I was working late (over an hour past my usual time to go home) and waiting for DH to call me from the parking lot since he didn't know exactly when he would be able to pick me up.  My desk phone rang when I was expecting DH to call; My cell phone must remain on mute at work, so he uses the work number.  Knowing that he was going to call around that time and knowing that everyone with whom I work knows I leave at 3:15 pm, I answered the phone, "Hey, Sweetie."

It wasn't DH. :-[

It was an engineer for a sludge treatment facility calling to report a problem.  He did not know how to reply.  I think I heard his jaw hit the desk.  Then he said his name.

I replied, "You're not my sweetie!" >:D

lol - BTDT

In my case, it was somebody from DOT looking for information. After letting me know his identity, he suggested we have dinner first and then if his wife didn't object, he could be my sweetie.
The days are long but the years are short.

thunderroad

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 02:41:59 PM »
I walked into the office of a very proper colleague once.  He said, Yes, darling?

I pretended I had not heard it.

He pretended he had not said it. 

And that was the end of that!  (it was clearly a slip.)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2013, 04:32:17 PM »
Since people here have mentioned phone slip-ups, I'll sneak this one in here:

My dad met his best friend 'D' when they were coworkers in the military. Later when they both had moved on and settled in different states, Dad's buddy would call our house to keep in touch. He was good friends with my mom too so if she answered the phone, D had this joke with her where he would pretend to be a "mash caller" and breathe heavy into the phone, etc. and she would laugh and tell him "I'll get *Dadsname* for you"...

then one night I answered the phone.  :o >:D

I don't remember how old I was (IIRC somewhere between 9-11yrs), but I do know I was not in on the joke, nor was I old enough to understand what the heavy breathing was about. ::) He said in this faux-'naughty' voice something like "What are you up to sweetie?" I was confused since he hadn't identified himself and I didn't recognize his voice, so I was like "Um, what? Uh...I don't know." Then he said "*Momsname*?" and I said "No this is *Softly*" and he was mortified and said "Oh I'm sorry honey! This is D, can I talk to your Daddy?" I got my Dad and apparently D confessed his mistake because Dad listened for a second and then just about died laughing. He had mom explain the joke and then I got to tease D if I answered the phone when he called. ;)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2013, 05:21:14 PM »
I get called Mom at work pretty regularly - I teach 2nd. I have a new student that reminds me of my cousin Ben so much I have to pause and remember to call him by the correct name. Thing is he doesn't look like Ben - just something about his manner reminds me of him. I have another student that could be my cousin's 15 years younger doppelganger - thankfully they share the same name.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

mmswm

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2013, 08:02:21 PM »
Not calling somebody by an inappropriate name, but a phone slip up.

I was working for a car dealership doing office grunt work for the service department.  One morning, the main receptionist called in sick.  They asked me to cover the switchboard.  It was 7am and I wasn't all that familiar with it, but I said I'd do my best.  Of course the phones were ringing off the hook. 

A call came in and I answered it "Good morning, thank you for calling (car company) of (city), How may I disconnect your call".  We were supposed to say *direct* your call.  Ooops.  Anyway, the man on the other end busted out laughing, and by the time I got him transferred to where he wanted to go, all was good in my world again.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2013, 01:26:35 PM »
A call came in and I answered it "Good morning, thank you for calling (car company) of (city), How may I disconnect your call".  We were supposed to say *direct* your call.  Ooops.  Anyway, the man on the other end busted out laughing, and by the time I got him transferred to where he wanted to go, all was good in my world again.
I'm always grateful to people who start my day with a laugh, especially when I also get what I need. ;D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Brisvegasgal

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2013, 05:18:56 PM »
I often call the female colleagues (I'm also female) who I'm friendly with gorgeous but they are friends and colleagues.  I also have a male friend who I work with who I call princess and he calls me possum...but again, we are close friends.  I think you handled the situation well though.

Iris

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2013, 06:34:51 PM »
I get called Mom at work pretty regularly - I teach 2nd.

Me too, except my students are 13-18 years old. I ignore it because if they realise they get sooooooooooo embarrassed. 

In my old job I once answered the phone "Hello Darling" after hours when expecting DH. The (strange male) customer and I had a good laugh about that one.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2013, 09:41:58 AM »
Not a boss or coworker but I tend to let "honey" slip when talking to people I barely know just cause I use it so much in talking to family and close friends. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Calistoga

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2013, 12:24:52 PM »
I called my male boss Mom once.

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2013, 03:02:28 PM »
I don't think I have, but one of the guys who works for me keeps accidentally sending me texts meant for his wife.  It happened twice last week, both followed by "CRUD MONKEYS!!!!  Please delete that!"

And I'm sorry to disappoint, but they were nothing salacious. They were just of the "Can you pick up rutabagas on the way home? Love you." kind of stuff. 

Redsoil

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2013, 08:21:41 PM »
All the time!  *snerk*  And the boss reciprocates...

We both have a weird sense of humour, and the patients like the sideshow...  :)
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!