Author Topic: Did you ever call a boss/co-worker an inappropriate term?  (Read 7696 times)

Barney girl

Re: Did you ever call a boss/co-worker an inappropriate term?
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2013, 09:36:48 AM »
I know someone who comes from a part of the country where it's fairly common to call people "love", whether male or female. He was in the RAF and was concentrating on the work he was doing when an officer addressed a comment to him. He absently replied "What was that love?". Apparently the officer's face was a picture.

Jocelyn

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2013, 07:01:31 PM »
Yesterday, I went to update my boss on something. As I left his office, he said, 'Thank you, dear.'
I just pretended I was far enough away I didn't hear him, and kept going. I heard him mutter something, so I think he realized what he'd said. (FWIW, his wife also works in our department, although she and I don't look anything alike).

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2013, 07:50:40 PM »

Not a boss, but kind of a project leader in my department has become fondly known as Buttercup after a slip-up. He doesn’t seem to mind.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

daen

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2013, 01:59:28 PM »

Not a boss, but kind of a project leader in my department has become fondly known as Buttercup after a slip-up. He doesn’t seem to mind.

As you wish.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2013, 05:09:38 PM »

As you wish.

HA! I can't believe i never made that connection. Next time he asks me to do something i am going to say that and see if he does  ;D
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2013, 06:33:33 PM »
I was talking to my mechanic early one morning about my car.  We were wrapping up the conversation, and I said that I'd talk to him that afternoon.  He replied.  "Okay, see you then.  Love you.  Bye."  and hung up the phone.  I remember looking at the phone as I heard him hang up.

I think he was used to talking to his wife in the morning.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2013, 07:41:30 PM »
I was working late on night and expecting my husband to call and say he was outside to drive me home.

Ring ring...
"Hi Hon!"

cue confused caller "Ummm. You're closed, aren't you?"

We both laughed - clearly she realized that I would not have answered a business line like that had we been open.

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2013, 09:40:13 AM »
I have told co-workers I love them on more occasions than I can count, mostly when I'm ending a phone call with them.

I received an 'OK darling.' text from my boss the other week, I now tell my co-workers I'm his favourite and have documentary proof.

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2013, 01:59:42 PM »
One of my friends sent me an email and she signed off with "Love, Mom." I have NEVER let her forget it!   :D

robobecky

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2013, 03:34:13 PM »
Heh, I used to work with my mother, she was the head manager, I was a shift manager.  When she was concentrating on something, she did not always notice if her name was called.  After having my brother and I work there however, she *always* responded to "mom".  Sometimes other workers would be saying "mother's name"..."hey, mother's name"....no response.  Then "Hey, mom!"  and my mom would say "Yes, what do you need?"  It was pretty funny that she would miss her own name, but not "mom".

Bottlecaps

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2013, 05:14:02 PM »
I have (had? seeing as how I'm not working at the moment) a habit of calling my co-workers who were younger than me "honey," "hun," "sweetie," or even "babe." They took it in good stride though. It was a term of endearment, as I'd been working there a while and loved taking the newer (and often younger) ones under my wing. I don't think any of them ever thought of it as inappropriate, although once I did work with a girl who was several years older than I am, but looked about four years younger than I am. I always caught myself calling her those terms and it felt so odd because she was older than me. She took it well though. :)

I have to admit, when I first read the title of this thread, I was thinking it was going to be about other inappropriate terms, LOL. Bad Bottlecaps, bad bad Bottlecaps. :-P
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos