Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Asking for food without "stretchers"

<< < (15/15)

Lynn2000:

--- Quote from: DavidH on March 13, 2013, 06:51:27 PM ---I would say that it is rude to ask for your food to be prepared a specific way as a means of getting more of the expensive ingredient rather than the "filler", but unless you know for certain that is the reason why someone is making the request, then it is equally rude to attribute such motives to your guests. 

As an aside, if I had someone over who I was so conviced was trying to take advantage of me that they would scam me out of an additional portion of tuna, I'd reconsider whether I wanted to invite them at all.  Similarly, I'd be quite offended if I thought that my request for a tuna sandwhich without egg was interpreted by my friends as me sneakily trying to get more than my fair share of their tuna.

--- End quote ---

This is pretty much where I fall. I do think it's important to learn about the different perspectives people come from, so I appreciate knowing that someone might interpret my request to leave out an ingredient in this light. But, it's just not a motivation that would occur to me without additional evidence; and if I already suspected the person was that type of greedy, I don't think I would want to be entertaining them as a friend.

Phoebe:
I'm intrigued by some of the ways posters make their tuna sandwiches and intended to try egg in it the next time I make tuna for lunch.

One of the best tuna sandwiches I ever had was from TGI Friday's.  It's no longer on their menu here, but it was delicious....the add-ins were pineapple bits, thin chow mein noodles, and wasabi.   :)

LibraryLady:
One place here in town (and I have too) makes tuna with lots of add ins

red grapes, celery, apple, pecans, Miracle Whip (none of that Commie Pinko Mayo stuff  ;)  ) chopped pickles - either dills, bread 'n'butter, and it is placed on a toasted, split croissant uummm good.

Can do the same thing with chopped chicken

Phoebe:

--- Quote from: LibraryLady on April 12, 2013, 05:46:59 PM ---One place here in town (and I have too) makes tuna with lots of add ins

red grapes, celery, apple, pecans, Miracle Whip (none of that Commie Pinko Mayo stuff  ;)  ) chopped pickles - either dills, bread 'n'butter, and it is placed on a toasted, split croissant uummm good.

Can do the same thing with chopped chicken

--- End quote ---

Chicken salad with chopped mandarin oranges is wonderful :)   

Bruegger's Bagels does lunch sandwiches to order.  My favorite there is tuna on a jalapeno cheddar bagel with cucumber and green pepper slices and spicy brown mustard. 

Making myself hungry here!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version