Author Topic: Seriously? DH says he saw a UFO! Tonight!  (Read 1900 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Seriously? DH says he saw a UFO! Tonight!
« on: February 28, 2013, 08:09:23 PM »
My DH is a huge skeptic and does not believe in anything he can't see, touch, hear, etc. This is why he practices no religion and kinda smirks at my personal belief in certain things that are considered paranormal.

He just called me...he's having a couple of beers with friends (no, he isn't drunk, really!). He told me to run out to the front yard to see if I could see "them." "Them? What them?" He and his friends saw some strange orange lights in the sky flying in an odd pattern, which they insist could not possibly be airplanes. Sadly, I was unable to see them from my house.

I am a little weirded out because, as I said, DH does not believe in such things, so for him to say something like that is very much out of character. And after 27 years together, I can read him well enough to know that he isn't pulling my leg.

We'll  probably never know what it actually was that he saw, but that does beg the question I pose to you all-what experiences have you had with stuff that others think is "out there?" Have you seen UFO's? Had an experience that you just cannot explain? Share your stories!

Oh, and I'll post an update if I find anyone else who saw these strange lights in the sky.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Maggie

Re: Seriously? DH says he saw a UFO! Tonight!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:23:50 PM »
I was on my way home from work one night and I kept seeing spotlights in the sky.  Then the spotlights got closer and closer until when I had to stop at the stop sign they were in my car.  I have only told my kids this story because I know everybody would think I was crazy.  After that though they disappeared.  I have to admit I was terrified and all it was little tiny colored lights.  Very strange!

Erich L-ster

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 08:26:16 PM »
It's certainly possible.

Jones

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 08:55:02 PM »
I was 12 or 13. I was an insomniac, who'd stay up late reading.

I was sitting in a chair by the window and had just shut off my lamp to go to bed. I got up and started to cross the room when my shadow got larger, darker. I turned and looked at my window. The light was a very pale green; close to white but definitely green tinged. It got extremely bright. It was like in the movies, when a train in a tunnel gets closer and closer until the front light is all you can see. My heart stopped and I fell to the ground. I think I fainted. The next thing I knew the light was gone, and I crawled to my bed, to shiver under the covers until morning came.

That window didn't point towards anything except a big rocky hill. The nearest neighbor was at the wrong side/angle, and the fence would have prevented any ATV getting close. Plus, the night was still; there was no motorized sound at all.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 09:19:52 PM »
Last year, I saw something strange on my way to work.  As did several others as we all nearly collided with one another.

It was early morning, but very daylight at 7:45 am.  I came around a curve to see a bright silver, slightly rounded triangular looking object about 50 yards away/at about a 45 degree angle/about 1500 square feet (so about the size of a 3 bedroom house) directly in front of me.  In the typical flight path for the area, just much too low.  At first I slammed on my brakes, thinking I was going to have a plane crash in front of me.  Then I realised it was not moving, had no sound, and was just hovering in midair.  As I was looking at it, it just blinked out of existence...poof, gone, imploded on it's self, adios amigo.

FTR, I live a mile or so from a very busy airport.  I know what a plane, looks like, sounds like and what kind of lights they have...this was not a plane or a helicopter.  I don't know what the (I can't express myself without swearing) I saw.  I'm not necessarily jumping to aliens, but it definitely fell into the catergory of Unidentified Flying Object (well I guess I could say UHO, unidentified hovering object, cause I never did see the dingdangity thing "fly").

Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 09:27:40 PM »
My DH is a huge skeptic and does not believe in anything he can't see, touch, hear, etc. This is why he practices no religion and kinda smirks at my personal belief in certain things that are considered paranormal.

He just called me...he's having a couple of beers with friends (no, he isn't drunk, really!). He told me to run out to the front yard to see if I could see "them." "Them? What them?" He and his friends saw some strange orange lights in the sky flying in an odd pattern, which they insist could not possibly be airplanes. Sadly, I was unable to see them from my house.

I am a little weirded out because, as I said, DH does not believe in such things, so for him to say something like that is very much out of character. And after 27 years together, I can read him well enough to know that he isn't pulling my leg.

We'll  probably never know what it actually was that he saw, but that does beg the question I pose to you all-what experiences have you had with stuff that others think is "out there?" Have you seen UFO's? Had an experience that you just cannot explain? Share your stories!

Oh, and I'll post an update if I find anyone else who saw these strange lights in the sky.

Watch your newspaper for reports. Sometimes they will print something about strange lights in the sky.

My mom was also a huge skeptic about such things but one night the two of us, along with a kid or two saw something very, very high up.  It was very small because of the distance, and had the appearance of a triangle that was lighted by a beautiful purple light.  She was kind of speechless and it really gave her pause.  No idea what it was but I would like to see it again just because it was so pretty. 
I forgot to add that it was kind of twisting and turning in place. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:24:35 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 09:32:44 PM »
The only thing I've ever seen is a really bright light that could be explained away as an extra big and bright star, but I just felt it wasn't a star or satellite or anything like that.

jmarvellous

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 10:00:23 PM »
Here's the one my fiance wrote about recently. I'll just copy his words because he wrote right after it happened and it was fresh in his mind. I drew a picture of it but I don't have it.

"(Jmarvellous) and I were walking in our neighborhood this evening when we saw strange lights in the sky, moving from the south to the north. They were about as bright as a dim star. We live about ten miles from the airport, and it was about the size of planes that are coming in for landings (but it was flying in the opposite direction of the airport). At first, I thought it was a flock of geese, with light reflecting oddly off the birds. I even told (Jmarvellous) to look up and see the geese. Then I noticed that though they were in a V formation, they were flying "backwards," which is to say that the apex of the V was not leading. Also, they were not honking, and it's February.
"Then we thought it might have been a plane, but a plane would have to have been flying low enough for us to hear it to appear that large, and it was silent. It was also too large and too dim and too silent to have been a formation of fighter jets, and fighter jets fly with a the apex of the V in the front anyway. It was moving very quickly and eventually went off into the distance. The whole encounter lasted 15 to 20 seconds, and it freaked me out."

So, yeah. That happened. I am not inclined toward seeing supernatural things -- I'm always explaining away things, actually. But this one was SO weird.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 11:00:46 PM »
A few years ago DH and I had been visiting with my parents at their home. We were all outside, getting the kids loaded up and saying our goodbyes. It was about 10pm and quite dark. My Mom and I noticed a bright light directly above us, heading South. We thought maybe it was a plane but it seemed to be a lot higher up than they usually travel and there was no sound and just the one single white light (normally you'd see the red flashing light). It looked exactly like a star so we were wondering if it could be a satellite (and agreeing it was going too fast) when, just before it would have moved too far South for us to see, it suddenly changed direction at about a 45 degree angle and continued Northeast in a straight line until it disappeared at the horizon. From the time we noticed it directly above us until it disappeared to the NE maybe 20 seconds passed.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 11:17:35 PM »
Not sure if this one counts, but it was certainly a weird sight.

It was probably 30+ years ago, I was standing with a group of people on a balcony of a house.  The house is on top of a high ridge of ground, there's a fairly busy road running along the valley below, but little is visible because of trees - it's a semi-rural location. 

It was about mid afternoon, a beautiful clear sunny day, so no cloud or fog to reflect anything.

We all clearly saw a bright red light in the sky, higher than where we were standing and well'n'truly above tree-top height for those trees along the ground.  It was way too bright to be a reflected brake light or anything, and there was nothing for it to reflect off.

It stayed stationary for a good 15-20 minutes.  Yes, minutes.  It didn't move, blink, pulse, anything - just a solid, bright red light.  Then it just blinked out.  We all saw it, we all talked about it while it was happening, and none of us could see a logical, reasonable explanation for it.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 01:11:49 AM »
This New Years Eve, actually. :)  Just after midnight, BF is heading North because he lives on the North side of town, and I live on the South.  However, we were heading to a shop to get some soda, so we were heading North instead of going home.  The North of town is fenced off for a rather barren part of a military base.

BF just turned North off his street when I saw a pair of bright, red orange orbs, with little or no distortion, so low to the ground, lower than an airplane, but higher than most objects I know of.  BF was facing the right direction and it was a pretty quiet street, so he was observing them while watching for traffic.

We hit a curve in the road which hid the objects for a second, then when we were able to view them again, only one was there.

We head North and were watching the one object for a while, until BF had to turn East to get some soda, just on the Northern border of town.  As he turns East, I am watching the object, because he has to watch where he's driving, and I see it kind of... flare up.  Ever seen what fire looks like when it hits a new chemical?  It shrunk on itself, almost into a four pointed star shape, burned BRIGHT white, like sodium white, then expanded again and returned to its red-orange color and orb shape.  Just after, it dropped another, red orange orb like object, which fell to the ground and disappeared shortly above it.

It just vanished shortly afterwards, the entire sighting taking about 15 minutes, but I went home and did my research.  Similar sightings were being reported in my local area, but only mine and a military aircraft mechanic, mentioned the objects ejecting anything.

And before anyone says Chinese Lanterns, I've seen plenty of those.  This was also on a barren part of the base, where no one should feasibly be (no more base housing) without some good clearance, the nearest building being farther than where I guess the objects would have been.  I've done my research. :)

That's one of a few.  I got some other, smaller, oddball ones.

As for anyone who is interested in researching reports in the States, both NUFORC and MUFON are good sites.  I like NUFORC a lot more, but if you wanna do your research right... :)

ETA: A quick one, from last year on Halloween.  I was outside waiting for BF's parents to pick me up, as they were going to pickup BF from the local airport after a long stay in another state.

I was outside, again, waiting for them, and look to the South to see a small, fairly dim white object moving South, also.  I thought it was a satellite at first, until it did a 75 degree turn and headed east instead. :o
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:26:48 AM by Kaora »

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 05:05:42 AM »
I've seen lights in the sky, though nothing that I could really describe (and given I grew up about five miles from British Aerospace's plant in Bristol where they used to maintain F111's and often had planes flying in and out at all times of day, I really, REALLY can't rule out that anything I saw as a kid was related to that!), although there was the occasion where three or four of us kids (me, brother, lad from along the road and possibly his eldest sister) ALL saw *something* and the next morning there was a hole gouged out of the playing field opposite. THAT was weird all right!

However, the story that takes the cake, for me, was one my father once told me. He and my mother had been at an event down in Penzance (Cornwall) and were driving back up to Bristol. It was the small hours of the morning and one of the first parts of their route took them across Bodmin Moor which is a WEIRD place at the best of times. As they were coming across the moor, dad saw a ball of light coming towards him. As it got nearer, the car's electrics started to fade out. Headlights, radio, then the engine, which cut out as the light was pretty much directly over head. Then, as it moved on, the engine faded back up, then the radio, then the lights. At which point, my father decided discretion was the better part of valour: he took off like a scalded cat and by the time he reached Bodmin Village he was doing something "rather less than legal".

Mum slept through the whole experience - only waking up to inquire why they were going so fast!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 12:31:14 PM »
Eek!  I'm alone in the house and just heard voices like aliens from TV, electronic and stilted.  Even though it sounded like it came from inside the house, I looked outside anyway and nobody is around. 

Yeah, I'm sure there's an explanation, but it's fun to think there's a small possibility it just might be aliens.  ;D

doodlemor

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 02:11:30 PM »
I've always wanted to see a UFO, but never have.  Here is a great article on the subject:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/09/grant-cameron-ufos-us-presidents_n_2838065.html

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 01:13:06 PM »
I was going to say the bright objects whizzing high up in the sky could be the International Space Station, which is much brighter than the usual satellites (more like Venus bright) but that...doesn't turn.  At least not that I've ever seen... :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dZP2UN8Irc

(the video is clean but the comments are a little salty.)