Author Topic: Neighbor Gave Me A Vintage Sewing Machine In Cabinet - Update #24  (Read 4512 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
I walked over to talk to a neighbor (he was outside watching tree trimmers take down a pine in his front yard).  I used to be on the Home Owners' Association (HOA) board, he is a current member. 

He "rememembered" a vintage sewing machine that he had that he thought that I might like and put it on wheels and pushed it over to my house.

I am now the proud owner of a vintage machine with cracked wiring that has been either in a garage or under a carport for a while.  (I don't dare plug it in.)

I am; however, fascinated by the idea of getting it working.  I am not fascinated by the idea of how much it is going to cost to get the wiring redone before I can find out how well the machine sews.  And my wrists are nagging me about the tendinitis when I think about stripping the finish off the real wood desk and refinishing it.....mean old wrists. 

The etiquette questions come down to:

"What do I do to say 'thank you'?",
"Am I obligated to keep it and use it?", and
"Can I give it away on Freecycle to someone else who might be able to fix it themselves and use it or sell it?"

Renee G
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 07:02:08 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

snowdragon

Re: Neighbor Gave Me A Vintage Sewing Machine In Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 02:50:22 PM »
Cookies usually go overwell for thank yous.

You are not obligated to keep it. However, you might want to consider using it for something else - I have my great-grandmother's treadle machine as a night stand near my bed.  I would not sell it. 

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 03:04:47 PM »
I could kick myself for letting my grandmother's sewing machine cabinet get away...

I agree with cookies or a small gift card to his favorite eatery/coffee/snack joint.   And I do not believe you are obligated to keep it either.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 03:08:01 PM »
Cookies, a gift card or some other small item is always appreciated as a thank you.  POD that you are not obligated to keep it.

lowspark

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 03:09:31 PM »
I agree that you're not obligated to keep it but I would at least let your neighbor know before giving it away. He might have someone else in mind that it could go to if you don't want it.

sevenday

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 03:31:31 PM »
You could say to the neighbor, "Wow, that was a lovely machine! Unfortunately as I was looking at it, it seems it needs some work that I can't do (because of money, bad wrists, whatever) and I don't know who I could ask to help with it.  I hate to see it sit unused, so would you mind if I ask some of my friends if they might want it? They might be able to fix it up like new, imagine that!"  I've used a variant of this on things like computer towers (I gutted the innards, rebuilt it, and sold it on)

Otterpop

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 04:34:37 PM »
VorFemme, my aunt gave away hers just recently because she didn't want to fix it.  I just about cried because I'd admired that thing for years and would never think of asking her for it.  She just up and gave it to her gardener who did  >:(.

I told her I would have displayed it whether or not it was functioning.  You can't get things like that anymore.  She just said "you don't need any of that old junk."

So, if you have the room, display it as a conversation piece until you can figure out how to restore it (or ship it to me!  >:D)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:36:29 PM by Otterpop »

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 05:07:43 PM »
If you are in the NY-metro area I have a truck, I can leave now, and i have an excellent bakery around the corner and would happily trade scrumptious baked goods (or I can have my DH swing by Juniors n the way home for a cheesecake) for the cabinet and provide you with photos of it refinished in a few months.

But for reference, it cost me about $150 to get my 1964 Swinger cleaned-up, tuned up and have old cracked rubber bits replaced. She works like a charm. A very very heavy charm, but none the less.

Dalek

• Am not amused!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 05:28:17 PM »
Wats to thank him include..............
cookies
Edible fruit basket
Note
Plant

As for being obligated to keep and use the sewing machine......
You're not obligated to keep it. It would just end up costing you money... Although it sounds like a really cool gift. Too bad it needs so much work. :-)
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 05:44:13 PM »
Cookies usually go overwell for thank yous.

You are not obligated to keep it. However, you might want to consider using it for something else - I have my great-grandmother's treadle machine as a night stand near my bed.  I would not sell it.

I also have my maternal great-grandmother's treadle sewing machine (1880s). It works fine, and even has some of the original spools of thread. I can't sew a stitch, but I love it!  :)

m2kbug

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 05:54:48 PM »
I would just thank the giver.  I think a plate of cookies sounds really nice, but a simple thank-you card would work.  Then, if I really had no desire to keep this item, quietly re-home it.  Since you subscribe to Freecycle, that's a good a place as any.  Maybe you have some friends or family that would love to take it off your hands.  I definitely would be happy to take it from you, and I don't sew!  I don't think you are obligated to keep it. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 06:19:01 PM »
A plate of baking sounds like a great thank you.

Just a note about value:  If it is electric, it might not be worth very much.  My brother has an old Singer that came from my Mom's family years ago.  He and his wife split for a while about 3 years ago and he asked me to do some research for it's worth.  Turns out, even though it was almost 100 years old, it was only worth $50 to $100.  It does still work, though.

The treadle ones are the ones worth some money.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 06:59:45 PM »
I am in the Houston, Texas area - if anyone wants a "vintage" White 671 zig zag sewing machine in an "Italian" wood cabinet (machine needs at least new wiring and cabinet could sure use stripping & refinishing) I am perfectly willing to pass it along to a fellow Hellion who asks politely.  Cheesecake is optional.

If I still have it in November and you're coming to the International Quilt Festival at the George R. Brown - it is too big to fit in a back seat, you'll need a mini-van or pickup.  But ask, as I have no idea if I'll still have it.

I am also looking into whether or not it is possible to rewire it myself....I fixed my own computer a few times...but haven't tried re-wiring anything, ever, that I can recall.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 08:09:13 PM »
A plate of baking sounds like a great thank you.

Just a note about value:  If it is electric, it might not be worth very much.  My brother has an old Singer that came from my Mom's family years ago.  He and his wife split for a while about 3 years ago and he asked me to do some research for it's worth.  Turns out, even though it was almost 100 years old, it was only worth $50 to $100.  It does still work, though.

The treadle ones are the ones worth some money.

I was going to say the same thing, a non working electric sewing machine would be worth next to nothing and I doubt it's attractive enough to use as a display piece either.

snowfire

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 08:53:10 PM »
If it is just the main power cord and you can get to where it connects to the machine, rewiring is pig simple.  If it has a removable cord, it can actually be trickier as you have to find a matching plug.  (I've been rewiring lamps & such since I was in 6th grade.)