Author Topic: Custom-made clothing?  (Read 353 times)

blueberry.muffin

Custom-made clothing?
« on: April 08, 2013, 12:13:20 PM »
I was browsing around last night and stumbled across a swimsuit that I absolutely fell in love with. It's stunning.

Unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere! I know the fashion designer and tried their website with no luck. I tried eBay. I tried everything. I think the piece was only made for the catwalk and wasn't mass-produced.

I'd be curious to know if there's a place that could replicate the piece. I tried looking up "custom-made clothing" but mainly only found suits and wedding gowns. Then I tried looking up "custom swimsuits" but mainly only found swim pieces already made that could be altered. There were several sites that claimed to replicate pieces, but only if you sent in the original.

I can't sew to save my life or I'd attempt it myself. Also, it looks quite tricky.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Here's a link to the swimsuit if anyone's curious: http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/China+Fashion+Week+2012+13+W+Collection+Day+Bed-DVYFXSUl.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

Judah

• California, U.S.A
Re: Custom-made clothing?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 12:17:21 PM »
My tailor can make anything from a picture, he is seriously talented.  Try calling tailors and seamstresses in your area.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 12:25:03 PM »
I second the suggestion to call tailors or seamstresses and ask if they do custom pieces. Or if you have a fashion or textile college near you, you could drop by and put a flyer on a bulletin board looking for someone to do a commission piece for you (make sure you see samples of their work though!) You could also look to see if there is a bulletin board at your local craft/fabric store.

Bear in mind of course that asking someone to replicate the suit exactly might be an ethical/legal violation of some sort, after all it is someone's design.

blueberry.muffin

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 12:43:34 PM »
I live in a pretty small town (few tailors), but I'm about 45 minutes from a small city, so I might try the city and see what can happen.

Willynilly, thanks for the point on the exact replication thing. To be honest I don't think I'd want a super-exact replica just because it looks somewhat flimsy and it might snap while I'm swimming!!! I'd definitely want something more inspired by it as opposed to it exactly. I can't really find anything similar at all, sadly.

Thanks so much!!!

Carotte

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 12:49:59 PM »
You can try Etsy too, find a store that does swimsuits and there's always the possibility of messaging them to ask if they do custom pieces.